U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

Hi All...

I know there is one of these daily, so I will try to be as specific as possible. I have lived in CA since 1977 and the cost of living is way out of line. Looking at South Charlotte. Here are a few things to help get the feedback going.

- Employment not an issue for me
- Looking for opinions on schools (specifically the areas that feed Providence, Ardrey Kell and Weddington high schools). Looking for information on possible re-districting of school populations to other schools.
-Looking for house in 300K to 500K range (looking for a house that is private, but not totally secluded from others!!)
- Coming with wife and two kids (5 year old and 7 year old)
- Wondering about differences between city and well water. (never had a well before and know nothing about that. Septic tanks also.)
- I am heavily into tennis and my kids are into many sports, specifically soccer and swimming (golf not important).

I think this is a good start. We have done alot of homework, but that only gets you so far!!! Thanks for responses in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,229,486 times
If your interested in the South Charlotte area don't worry much about wells and septic systems. I bet less than 1-3% of the homes in this particular area aren't connected to city/county water and sewer.

Your price range will allow you plenty of housing and neighborhood options. Don't worry about that.

Most communities around here have tennis courts and other amenities. There are MANY soccer associations available to join or tryout for. I've played soccer my entire life and can help you with a few different clubs. Also, the YMCA is huge here and offers programs. Swimming is pretty popular as well.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,883,490 times
S. Charlotte is on city water. No advice on the well water since we've never dealt with it either. We moved from Illinois about 4 months ago.

We live in the S. Charlotte area. Pretty much any of the schools in that area are excellent. Here is a link to the CMS system that will tell you what schools feed into which high schools. Home

You have to be cautious about picking elementary schools thinking you'll feed into a certain high school b/c at least for CMS there has been a lot of transition as to moving students from one school to another. The district is one big zone, and technically they (CMS) can move students at will. Typically if you move to a neighborhood where the school is across the street you'll probably continue to go there vs places where the boundaries are fuzzy.

Housing-wise there are a ton of choices in your price range that will give you a beautiful house in a great neighborhood. There are folks here that know their subdivisions very well. One good choice is Providence Country Club, which feeds into Providence High I believe. Providence Pointe (Ardrey Kell), Bridgehampton (parts are in S. Carolina and parts in N. Carolina) and Southampton also come to mind.

Sports opportunities are numerous here. The local YMCAs are a great source for kids sports. My son did soccer for the first time this Fall and really enjoyed it.

People here are very friendly and welcoming. You'll not have problems meeting people.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:27 PM

62 posts, read 168,410 times
As others have said, you shouldn't have to be concerned with well/septic issues, as almost all of South Charlotte has City water/sewer service.

You'll have plenty of housing options within your price range, depending on your definition of private. Homes can sit on lots that range from .1 acre to over .5 acre, and some over 1 acre. That all depends on the neighborhood and how much you want to spend. The older communities tend to have larger lots. Check Area 5: Raintree, Area 4: Providence Plantation, Coachman Ridge, East Providence Estates, Brackenbery Estates and Huntington, Area 10(?) Union County: Aero Plantation (There's a chance you could find something there on the high end of your price range).

Schools can be a headache in Charlotte, but there are some great ones in south charlotte. A few Elementary Schools that I know are very good are Olde Providence, Elizabeth Lane, Providence Springs, McKee.

Good Luck

Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergollum View Post
Hi All...

I know there is one of these daily, so I will try to be as specific as possible. I have lived in CA since 1977 and the cost of living is way out of line. Looking at South Charlotte. Here are a few things to help get the feedback going.

- Employment not an issue for me
- Looking for opinions on schools (specifically the areas that feed Providence, Ardrey Kell and Weddington high schools). Looking for information on possible re-districting of school populations to other schools.
-Looking for house in 300K to 500K range (looking for a house that is private, but not totally secluded from others!!)
- Coming with wife and two kids (5 year old and 7 year old)
- Wondering about differences between city and well water. (never had a well before and know nothing about that. Septic tanks also.)
- I am heavily into tennis and my kids are into many sports, specifically soccer and swimming (golf not important).

I think this is a good start. We have done alot of homework, but that only gets you so far!!! Thanks for responses in advance....

With all your requirements and criteria you are heading to a great location!
Everything you are looking for can be found in south Charlotte. In addition, any elementary feeding into Providence or Ardrey Kell high school is going to be a highly rated school - you will be fine in any of them. Save yourself some leg work and find a good realtor - that can make your search so much easier. Best of luck getting here!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 PM

171 posts, read 311,968 times
We are likely leaving California sometime in the next 2 to 4 years. Tired of liberal nonsense in every part of our lives. Some recent B.S.:

- My kid started kindergarten last month. Know who the first "American hero" she learned about first? He was truly an American, but I'm not sure he was the hero we would all think was worthy of introduction at the kindergarten level. That "hero" was Cesar Chavez.

- The governator just today signed a bill that goes into effect in 2011 that basically requires any purchase of ammunition to be accompanied by a driver's license and a thumbprint. Further, purchases will be limited to a total of 50 rounds per month. Yes, you read that correctly.

This state is ruined by liberalism. It was once the Golden State. Now it is a toilet of liberalism. High taxes, total control over every aspect of life - tyranny. Too bad. Otherwise, for climate, amenities, proximity to great things, it is one of the best places in the world.

We are ready to live somewhere free again.

- Diggums

Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 6,541 times
All of my children attended Weddington public schools and had positive experiences. We are in the process of downsizing since we are about to be empty-nesters. Our house and neighborhood have many of the qualities you are looking for: large flat yard for play, neighbors close enough to visit but not peek in the windows, a small neighborhood full of children, Weddington schools, and quick easy access to shopping, dining, doctors, etc. Also there is a very active Swim and Racquet Club about 2 miles away. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-06-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,946,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
..... ammunition ..... purchases will be limited to a total of 50 rounds per month. Yes, you read that correctly.....
Goodness, do you have a need to consume more bullets than this a month?

In any case, I predict you wouldn't like Charlotte.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:31 PM

8,805 posts, read 7,970,103 times
Seriously? I can go through 50 rounds in less than 2 hrs at the range without even trying.

Why would he/she not like Charlotte? You can get CCWs easily here and there are no restrictions on ammo that I'm aware of.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 AM

604 posts, read 1,134,083 times
This is not the gun control forum but.....

Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009 1040 federal tax form all handguns that you have or own. It may require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.

This bill was introduced on Feb. 24. This bill will become public
knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law. This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986. This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without the Senate voting on it at all.

The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S. Senate homepage,
http://www.senate.gov/ You can find the bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099.
You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do. Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you know to help STOP this bill!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte