Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 PM

264 posts, read 854,095 times

Advertisements

A stray dog has apparently taken up residence in the woods in my backyard. Other than spreading trash around from the house under construction next door and playing with my dog, you wouldn't know it was even here.
Lately it has become more confident and comes out during the day, but it is terrified of people it seems. As soon as it sees me, it takes off.
Since I have kids, I am concerned for their safety so I need to do something about it.
Does anyone know who I would call in Union County to help me out? I do prefer a no kill shelter. The dog plays with my dog all the time, and they get along really great, but I am afraid of what can happen with kids around.
Also, now that I have seen it during the day, I think it is a pit bull and unfortunately that pretty much gives it a death sentence at regular shelters.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
How about contacting a local rescue?

Here's a list of rescue groups from the CMPD Animal Care and Control Web site:

Rescue Group Information (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Animal+Control/Rescue+Groups.htm - broken link)

Hopefully one of them can help you.

If not, maybe the Humane Society?

Dog and Cat Adoption and Dog and Cat Rescue --- Monroe, North Carolina

Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
Most rescues and humane societies will not take pits. I would be cautious with it playing with your dog. A trap would be best to set up, which is probably what animal control or whomever would do. I really hate to say it, but putting the dog to sleep might be in the best interest. Most shelters around here (that will take pits) are full, their mailboxes are even full. This dog would starve, get injured, or injure another dog or human. I've seen many pits that are wonderful pets, but not knowing the history of this animal. It's just unfortunate the bad rap that these dogs have gotten. If raised from puppies with the right person, they are wonderful pets.

I'm just stating facts that I know, by no means would I want this dog to go to a no kill shelter, but the alternate wouldn't be so great for him/her.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Ohhhhh . . . please don't let the fact that the dog may be part pit drive your decision what to do. If he/she has been playing nicely with your dog . . . maybe the animal is just shy and very sweet natured and is actually good tempered. I have been around many breeds that folks consider "vicious" who were very loving dogs. It really has a lot to do with how they have been bred and raised. This dog doesn't sound vicious at all. The worrisome thing at this point would be disease - since the dog may not have had vax. But it could be someone's pet who got lost. Who knows? I know you have your hands full . . . but if there is any way to get some help from a rescue group rather than turning the dog over to animal control . . . I think of animals who have gotten lost and then get euthanized . . . shelters are putting so many dogs down daily . . .

I know you are trying to figure out a way to do the right thing and I hope you can get some real assistance. CTRIBUCHER's suggestions would be my first route - to try and find a rescue group who won't automatically dump the dog off at a shelter.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
If you can get it to a vet to have it scanned for a microchip that would be great. Vets should not charge for this service.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 PM

272 posts, read 785,805 times
Deeds not breeds.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
I hate to say it but animal control is pretty much the only ones that will physically come out and get the dog. All of the other shelters would expect you to catch and deliver the dog. But of course animal control is going to take it to the animal shelter which means it will be put to sleep.

Its tough I know. How long has it been there? You might could just start off posting flyers with the dogs picture around your area. Perhaps it just got lost and has a home. Or you could try contacting as many people in your area as you can to see if they can help. Often people will step up and foster the dog or take it in.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ohhhhh . . . please don't let the fact that the dog may be part pit drive your decision what to do. If he/she has been playing nicely with your dog . . . maybe the animal is just shy and very sweet natured and is actually good tempered. I have been around many breeds that folks consider "vicious" who were very loving dogs. It really has a lot to do with how they have been bred and raised. This dog doesn't sound vicious at all. The worrisome thing at this point would be disease - since the dog may not have had vax. But it could be someone's pet who got lost. Who knows? I know you have your hands full . . . but if there is any way to get some help from a rescue group rather than turning the dog over to animal control . . . I think of animals who have gotten lost and then get euthanized . . . shelters are putting so many dogs down daily . . .

I know you are trying to figure out a way to do the right thing and I hope you can get some real assistance. CTRIBUCHER's suggestions would be my first route - to try and find a rescue group who won't automatically dump the dog off at a shelter.
I really do not want the dog to get put down. It plays so well with my dog that if it wasn't for the breed and the fact that I have kids, I would probably keep it around and try to get him/her to warm up to me. The poor thing is very afraid or shy...it comes up to the terrace and hangs out with my dog but the second it notices that I am watching, it takes off. My goal is for a rescue group to help me out. I don't mind taking it there if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
If you can get it to a vet to have it scanned for a microchip that would be great. Vets should not charge for this service.
I thought about that too, but the problem is catching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I hate to say it but animal control is pretty much the only ones that will physically come out and get the dog. All of the other shelters would expect you to catch and deliver the dog. But of course animal control is going to take it to the animal shelter which means it will be put to sleep.

Its tough I know. How long has it been there? You might could just start off posting flyers with the dogs picture around your area. Perhaps it just got lost and has a home. Or you could try contacting as many people in your area as you can to see if they can help. Often people will step up and foster the dog or take it in.
The dog has been here for almost 2 months, but it only came around in the dark. Now that it has gotten more courage, it hangs out around here during the day. I don't mind delivering it to a rescue group or foster family. I would help pay for some of the costs to get it checked by a vet. I feel really bad for the poor thing. I got a better look at it today and I can't tell if it's a pit or a boxer. I need to do some research on that.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 PM

272 posts, read 785,805 times
Post a picture of the dog so we can see what it looks like.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM

I haven't seen it for a few days. It's not a boxer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte