U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2007, 06:42 PM

77 posts, read 282,597 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the area the end of May (YEAH!!!!!!). I will be working in NC and living in SC...so is it illegal to talk on your cell phone and drive in either state? Please, no lectures on whether we "should"...cuz most do it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,197 times
NC is going to ban it but has not as of yet? It might be best to use hands free?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:59 PM

929 posts, read 2,690,741 times
As far as I know there are no bans in NC. In my opinion even if they do institute a ban, there aren't enough law enforcement officers to crack down.

Personally, I don't normally talk on my cell when I drive. However, everyone is different.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 4,677,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
As far as I know there are no bans in NC. In my opinion even if they do institute a ban, there aren't enough law enforcement officers to crack down.

Personally, I don't normally talk on my cell when I drive. However, everyone is different.
Cell phone bans are typically secondary offenses. More officers wouldn't be needed.

SL

Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,839,837 times
No ban here.

I think thats one of the first questions that I've been receiving as of late!!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,690,741 times
SL - I don't know what a secondary offense means? Could you elborate?
I know there aren't enough police where I live to crack down on cell phones.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM

22,010 posts, read 39,583,402 times
what he means by secondary offense is for instance you rear end someone the primary offense is you was following to closely and the secondary is talking on cell phone .

My cell phone provider has informed me that a non hands free cellphone ban will be starting soon in NC

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM

I erred in my first statement anyway due to my Jersey frame of reference. Apparently most states that enact jurisdiction wide handheld cell phone bans have it on the books as a primary offense. Only three states (as far as I can tell), Jersey included, have made it a secondary offense, like seatbelt laws. In other words, you can't be pulled over for the offense but you could be pulled over for speeding, and then ticketed for both the speeding and for using a handheld device. The key here is you have to be stopped for another infraction.

XNYgirl, I doubt there are many places that have enough law enforcement to crack down on people using handheld devices. Anyway, has it ever been proven that hands free devices are any safer? Isn't it the conversation itself that is distracting the driver? Or maybe the coffee he just spilled in his lap?

And how about the kids arguing in the backseat? Or the animated dicussion with another passenger? Or putting on eyeliner? Or reading the newspaper (you're from NY, I KNOW you've seen this one! I saw it all the time driving on the turnpike!)?

Sorry, I digress. Thankfully, Charlottean was kind enough to actually answer the question!

SL

Last edited by saralee; 05-07-2007 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM

This is the best I came up with on this topic from an article dated December 1, 2006.

According to the article, as of December 1, 2006, "The new state law prohibits drivers under the age of 18 to talk on the phone while driving, except during emergencies or when talking to their parents, guardians or spouse. North Carolina is the latest state to pass legislation that restricts cell phone use among certain drivers, primarily teens and school-bus drivers."

http://www.physorg.com/news84205850.html

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte