U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 AM

14,693 posts, read 22,485,080 times

Advertisements

Your feel-good story of the day, bless their hearts.

Manners help make a miracle - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/998636.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 AM

494 posts, read 1,157,631 times
I agree. I know in my area it has changed a bit since we have so many transplants. However, when I first arrived here, I remember being shocked at the amount of people who would hold doors open for me and my stroller! I also could not get over the offers to help carry bags and groceries! Not to mention...the drive thru at Chic-fil-a which always makes me smile with their pleasant demeanor! No matter where you are from there is something to be said for Southern Manners!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 AM

The author says there was "an inbred politeness" at work. I think inbred was a poor choice of words.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,343,148 times
People are polite all over the USA. It is not unique to the South. And politeness had nothing to do with all those people being saved, it was the pilot and crews training that got them out of that plane. And btw, the Observer and the local media has to get over the crash. It happened in New York City, NOT in Charlotte. I bet you that in NYC they stopped talking about it a week after it happened. Why is the local media so bad in Charlotte? If it happened 9 months ago is not NEWS, it is history. Move on!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,533,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
People are polite all over the USA. It is not unique to the South. And politeness had nothing to do with all those people being saved, it was the pilot and crews training that got them out of that plane. And btw, the Observer and the local media has to get over the crash. It happened in New York City, NOT in Charlotte. I bet you that in NYC they stopped talking about it a week after it happened. Why is the local media so bad in Charlotte? If it happened 9 months ago is not NEWS, it is history. Move on!
Politeness was a pretty good substitute for panic and out of control behavior. When a group of people in an emergency situation can keep their cool and function as intelligent, rational, caring humans, the outcome will always be better. In case you missed something, the plane landed in the middle of the Hudson River. This was due to the excellent skills of the pilot and crew which made it possible for the passengers to survive. But, with a cabin filling quickly with water, it was critical for the passengers to egress as quickly and orderly as possible to survive. The politeness that was exihibited during this crutial time made the evacuation successful against odds. This is what the article eluded to. You obviously don't understand that situations like this don't happen very often. When they do, they have a huge impact on people that have travelled by air or been in life threatening situations and on those that could have easily lost their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, or other loved ones. Too bad don't appreciate this. Such obvious anger towards this article is irrational and unintelligent. Perhaps you should move on. It was a nice, uplifting article. It has definately not been overdone. The outcome of the crash is a good story during a time of distress for many in the world. How can one be angry about the publicity? I can assure you that every New Yorker that gets on a plane in New York thinks of this situation without regards to destination. My congrats. to the Observer.

P.S. It is true that there are polite people all over the U.S. The article never said there weren't.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-13-2009 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM

587 posts, read 928,940 times
Well, while I agree with you that people can be quite polite all over the U.S., the article says:

Quote:
Nine months after skidding to salvation on the icy Hudson River, passengers of Charlotte-bound Flight 1549 have their say in a book being released today
So the article is timely.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM

35,885 posts, read 65,314,414 times
Dear me, CLTKing. This is a review of a book, for heaven's sake. And since USAir's hub is here in Charlotte, the flight was bound for Charlotte and the cabin was filled w/ folks who live somewhere in the CLT metro region . . . why are you huffing and puffing so?

I think I speak with as much authority on the subject of Southern politeness as anyone on this board. I personally have found that many who post here fall into two types: 1. natives, who may have never lived anywhere else BUT the South and 2. transplants, who have spent their entire lives in one location and then moved here. I have lived in the South and lived elsewhere, as well. And I am absolutely CERTAIN that Southerners - and I am talking REAL Southerners whose families have been in the South for more than five generations - are, indeed, more OVERTLY polite than folks in other areas of this country. Midwesterners are polite, but in an ALOOF way (they are not apt to start conversations with strangers in parking lots). That is the acid test. Southerners will talk to anyone, look them straight in the eye and engage them, whereas it is standard in almost all other areas of this country (small towns excepted) that folks basically walk with a bubble around themselves and are not apt to "get involved" w/ someone else's momentary dilemma (lost car keys, holding doors, helping carry items for an unknown person, stopping to help change a tire, etc).

The biggest reason for this is that the tradition in the South was that most folks knew a majority of others around them - from school, church, work, neighborhoods, retail, clubs, etc - and so folks were loathe to have others describe them as being impolite jerks or "unfriendly." For those of us who have found it intrusive that one must be "at one's best" at all times in the public (b/c folks would definitely notice and pass the word to friends, coworkers, neighbors, family etc) . . . this is something we are acutely aware of (and the anonymity one can assume in other regions of the country can be quite a relief).

So yes, there is something to be said for civil behavior and definitely, it is an inbred reality here (and I don't see the word "inbred" as something derogatory - as it means families simply assume that is the way to act, so children are not so much "taught" to be polite - it is what they learn b/c it is what they see).

Of course, this has changed, especially in a region such as Charlotte, where the influx of newcomers has definitely impacted the way folks interact. There is a certain section of this region known by natives as Long Island Redux (newcomers in homes all over $600K). . . and it is legend as to how imperious, inconsiderate, dismissive and clueless the majority of folks are who live in this particular enclave. What strikes most of us as so amusing is that these people are impolite to each other - right before our eyes - and they don't even seem to "get it" as the snarky remarks and high-handed manner of dealing with others are what they are used to, LOL!!! Natives are just glad these folks are segregated off to themselves, since that keeps most of the silly bickering and one-ups-manship contained. :-)

So for those of you who feel Southern Civility doesn't exist . . . here is my take on that. Southerners are extremely polite - TO A POINT. Act like a condescending, imperious, entitled arse . . . and the Freeze will set in. We don't appreciate being crapped on. If you continue to do annoying, inconsiderate things (like allowing your dog to poop on our yard) . . . we will scoop up the poop, go to your house, ring your doorbell and politely plop it on your front porch - as we smile and explain that "Oh dear! You left this behind!"

There are many ways, other than publicly acting out, to get the message across to folks who don't seem to have a clue about how to interact with civility and preserve the public peace.

And yes, that desire to preserve the public peace is very high here in the South, and doubtless DID have something to do with how folks interacted during that emergency on the Hudson.

Ever tried to hail a cab in a busy NYC district? Enough said.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Fortunately, the stewardess didn't mention that they were all out of coffee. Otherwise, there would have been instant pandemonium.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,343,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dear me, CLTKing. This is a review of a book, for heaven's sake. And since USAir's hub is here in Charlotte, the flight was bound for Charlotte and the cabin was filled w/ folks who live somewhere in the CLT metro region . . . why are you huffing and puffing so?

I think I speak with as much authority on the subject of Southern politeness as anyone on this board. I personally have found that many who post here fall into two types: 1. natives, who may have never lived anywhere else BUT the South and 2. transplants, who have spent their entire lives in one location and then moved here. I have lived in the South and lived elsewhere, as well. And I am absolutely CERTAIN that Southerners - and I am talking REAL Southerners whose families have been in the South for more than five generations - are, indeed, more OVERTLY polite than folks in other areas of this country. Midwesterners are polite, but in an ALOOF way (they are not apt to start conversations with strangers in parking lots). That is the acid test. Southerners will talk to anyone, look them straight in the eye and engage them, whereas it is standard in almost all other areas of this country (small towns excepted) that folks basically walk with a bubble around themselves and are not apt to "get involved" w/ someone else's momentary dilemma (lost car keys, holding doors, helping carry items for an unknown person, stopping to help change a tire, etc).

The biggest reason for this is that the tradition in the South was that most folks knew a majority of others around them - from school, church, work, neighborhoods, retail, clubs, etc - and so folks were loathe to have others describe them as being impolite jerks or "unfriendly." For those of us who have found it intrusive that one must be "at one's best" at all times in the public (b/c folks would definitely notice and pass the word to friends, coworkers, neighbors, family etc) . . . this is something we are acutely aware of (and the anonymity one can assume in other regions of the country can be quite a relief).

So yes, there is something to be said for civil behavior and definitely, it is an inbred reality here (and I don't see the word "inbred" as something derogatory - as it means families simply assume that is the way to act, so children are not so much "taught" to be polite - it is what they learn b/c it is what they see).

Of course, this has changed, especially in a region such as Charlotte, where the influx of newcomers has definitely impacted the way folks interact. There is a certain section of this region known by natives as Long Island Redux (newcomers in homes all over $600K). . . and it is legend as to how imperious, inconsiderate, dismissive and clueless the majority of folks are who live in this particular enclave. What strikes most of us as so amusing is that these people are impolite to each other - right before our eyes - and they don't even seem to "get it" as the snarky remarks and high-handed manner of dealing with others are what they are used to, LOL!!! Natives are just glad these folks are segregated off to themselves, since that keeps most of the silly bickering and one-ups-manship contained. :-)

So for those of you who feel Southern Civility doesn't exist . . . here is my take on that. Southerners are extremely polite - TO A POINT. Act like a condescending, imperious, entitled arse . . . and the Freeze will set in. We don't appreciate being crapped on. If you continue to do annoying, inconsiderate things (like allowing your dog to poop on our yard) . . . we will scoop up the poop, go to your house, ring your doorbell and politely plop it on your front porch - as we smile and explain that "Oh dear! You left this behind!"

There are many ways, other than publicly acting out, to get the message across to folks who don't seem to have a clue about how to interact with civility and preserve the public peace.

And yes, that desire to preserve the public peace is very high here in the South, and doubtless DID have something to do with how folks interacted during that emergency on the Hudson.

Ever tried to hail a cab in a busy NYC district? Enough said.
Ani, I respect your opinion since you are a celebrity in this forum, but spare me the lecture. New Yorkers are among the most polite people in America. Saying that Southernerns are more polite because they saved the people on the Hudson River crash is like saying that Northerners are more brave because they gave up their lives and fought on the United 9/11 flight that crased in Pennsilvania instead of the White House (not that I would've mind getting rid of Bush 7 years earlier..)

I think it is sad for a big city like Charlotte, that takes pride on its "New South" image, to have such a horrible small town newspaper and TV news anchors. The Queen City is a great place to live, but its backwards mentality is hurting its potential.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,100,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
New Yorkers are among the most polite people in America.

I stopped reading right after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or