U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has lots for tourists. I can't believe that people are so uncreative. First, give her a tour of our really cool areas like Southpark, Myers Park, Queens Univ. etc. If she likes museums, the Mint Museum on Randloph Road is to top quality and there are some downtown. The Whitewater Rafting Center is a cool place to take visitors. Take her for a walk around Memorial Park. Taker her to Concord Mills Shopping Center and swing by the racetrack just so she can see it and maybe the UNCC campus since it is close. Drive up to Lake Norman and show here Jetton Park (Cornelius) and maybe take a walk on its great walking trail. Have lunch in Davidson and show her the campus. Have dinner at the Southend, leave your car and hop the light rail into town for a drink or two and show here Epicentre or walk down through 4th Ward. There are options in the area of performing arts or concerts. For an off the wall trip, go towards Ft. Mill somewhere (I forgot the name of the town) and visit the town where "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson was filmed.

There are lots of options in Charlotte. Charleston is a great place, but she is from historic Philadelphia and used to historical places, although Charleston is really nice to visit. I have always been one for entertaining my visitors and giving them great tours of the city in which I live. There is quite a bit around and she should not be bored. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

There are lots of options in Charlotte.....
Beyond a regional mall, a couple of neighborhoods of tear down McMansions, and the Epicenter (which doesn't hold much if you don't like franchise stuff) everything you mentioned is not located inside of Charlotte.

It's the primary reason that Charlotte isn't on most tourist trips.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Beyond a regional mall, a couple of neighborhoods of tear down McMansions, and the Epicenter (which doesn't hold much if you don't like franchise stuff) everything you mentioned is not located inside of Charlotte.

It's the primary reason that Charlotte isn't on most tourist trips.
ummm...he mentioned the Mint Museums which are both in Charlotte.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM

79 posts, read 263,008 times
vindaloo those are great ideas- thanks for the tips! She is really excited about her visit and I wanted to make it a good one. Truth be told we originally intended on driving to Alabama to see another friend but that fell through. Thanks again!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsandlimes View Post
vindaloo those are great ideas- thanks for the tips! She is really excited about her visit and I wanted to make it a good one. Truth be told we originally intended on driving to Alabama to see another friend but that fell through. Thanks again!
Good luck. Be sure to inform here that Jet Blue and Air Tran fly out of Charlotte so if she ever wants to move here, transportation home is pretty cheap.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:15 PM

8 posts, read 21,523 times
If you go to the visitors center downtown (uptown), they have lots of ideas of places to go in the area. I like to show people the overstreet walkway, or drive through 4th ward, and the Levine Museum is interesting. Also, I'm not a race fan, but have taken visitors to the racetrack for a tour. It is very interesting and cheap, $5. It's about a one hour tour in a van. Very Southern.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evpatch View Post
If you go to the visitors center downtown (uptown), they have lots of ideas of places to go in the area. I like to show people the overstreet walkway, or drive through 4th ward, and the Levine Museum is interesting. Also, I'm not a race fan, but have taken visitors to the racetrack for a tour. It is very interesting and cheap, $5. It's about a one hour tour in a van. Very Southern.
My wife's family and friends are from Minnesota and are big NASCAR fans. I took them on the tour and it was really great for the money. The van ran around the race track and toured the drag strip. It has to be impressive to people in drag racing regardless of where they are from. The racetrack is close to the Concord Mills, etc. as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or