Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't appreciate being called a yankee as that is disrespectful. Same as if I called you a redneck or hillbilly. I happen to think the mixture of northern and southern culture in Charlotte is a good thing. You get the best of both worlds. If you don't like it, move somewhere like Morganton...a town stuck in 1950 where you won't have to worry about northerners, racial/ethnic diversity, religious diversity, entertainment options, etc.
See, that's where you just don't get it. To many of us "Redneck" is name we are proud to be called - of course, it doesn't mean to us what non-southerners think it means, but we aren't insulted when you use it

In addition, I really like Morganton myself. But there is a huge hispanic population there, so you really can't say there is no "diversity".

Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
ok.ok. I got a chuckle out of the last few posts
but lets gear back to the original post
Quote:
Charlotte's population
Right now charlote's population is around 700k i believe, twice what it was in 1990. Does anyone here think it could break a million? a million and a half?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Charlotte was one of the fastest growing cities before the boom. The 700+ city population depicts only the population within the city limits. It is not a good picture. For examle, Atlanta and Boston do the same thing when considering "city population" and they are both under 500+. And as you know, Charlotte is much smaller than either. What is really considered these days to get a serious assessment of the size of a city is its metro population at which Charlotte is presently at 1.8 million. By the way, Atlants is approaching 5 million and Boston is 4.2 million. The area has been experiencing an influx of around 50K newcomers a year. Last year it slowed to 33K. Nevertheless, at this rate, Charlotte will be over 1 million in the city limits in the next seven or eight years.
I see it this way too - give us about 8-10 years and the numbers will keep creeping up.

(sorry Sunny, but I'm back on topic now )

Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't appreciate being called a yankee as that is disrespectful. Same as if I called you a redneck or hillbilly. I happen to think the mixture of northern and southern culture in Charlotte is a good thing. You get the best of both worlds. If you don't like it, move somewhere like Morganton...a town stuck in 1950 where you won't have to worry about northerners, racial/ethnic diversity, religious diversity, entertainment options, etc.
& what's wrong with being called a Yankee? I'm a Yankee, & my mom's family, which is a bunch of Yankees, is also a bunch of rednecks. Nothing wrong with that. Does kind of screw up your theory, though.

There's a lot of forms of northern culture & that includes the Midwest.

I don't care what you think, but when you start tossing around stereotypes like you know what you're talking about, it reflects on me by default.

See, here's a clue, Yankee is generally applied to all northerners, while in the north it is applied to New Englanders. The term is also applied to people who live south of the Mason-Dixon Line in DE, MD, & sometimes WV & northern VA.

Now, the way I look at it, I'm not going to assume that I'm being insulted, unless I've said something to deserve the insult.

Where I live, the natives still are in the majority & there is nothing wrong with how they handle things. Please do get over yourself.

The metro area will continue to grow, but slower for a while

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-15-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM

969 posts, read 1,950,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Charlotte was one of the fastest growing cities before the boom. The 700+ city population depicts only the population within the city limits. It is not a good picture. For examle, Atlanta and Boston do the same thing when considering "city population" and they are both under 500+. And as you know, Charlotte is much smaller than either. What is really considered these days to get a serious assessment of the size of a city is its metro population at which Charlotte is presently at 1.8 million. By the way, Atlants is approaching 5 million and Boston is 4.2 million. The area has been experiencing an influx of around 50K newcomers a year. Last year it slowed to 33K. Nevertheless, at this rate, Charlotte will be over 1 million in the city limits in the next seven or eight years.
I don't mean to start a numbers war or anything, but Atlanta's city population in 2008 is 537,598 compared to 416,474 in 2000. The metro is already at 5.5 million (numbers are from the US Census Bureau). For the past few years, the city has been growing pretty rapidly without being able to annex, and I'm sure the same will happen to Charlotte.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,334,017 times
To each their own, but I think it's silly to call a person a Yankee. It just sounds so hickish, uneducated, and antiquated. It smacks of disrespect and lack of exposure to diverse people from different areas of the country. Moreover, it's from a bygone era. Say it if you want, but don't get upset when people think you're not too bright for using it.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM

620 posts, read 2,109,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It wasn't a bad thing to me until the yanks began to outnumber the southerners.

I'm fine with there being a bit of a melting pot here. I have enjoyed getting to know my neighbors of different nationalities. But ideally I would have preferred to see Charlotte remain a southern city, not a replacement city for folks who come from the northeast and only care about replicating what they had up there, only for cheaper.
I'm so sorry we ruined it for you.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I'm so sorry we ruined it for you.
Didn't you grow up here?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,092,426 times
Yes,Charlotte is growing, It is growing every day It is growing faster than mold on a wet taco

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM

620 posts, read 2,109,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Didn't you grow up here?
I was born in NY and moved here when I was 5 years old because my dad's job was transferred here. Regardless of growing up here, the fact that my family moved here from NY makes me part of the "problem". Like I said, I am sooo, so sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte