U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:44 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,862,679 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone would provide some insight as to the possibilities of antimatter replication. Based upon current information , we can only manufacture this in miniscule amounts. Does anyone concur with my theory that this is possible from a home based application - provided I construct deep underground with adequate shielding - maybe heavy water , intense EM fields , or antineutrino buffers? I expect this to be removed , so any input given expediently would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,039 times
Dont know about antimatter, but after my 3 alarm chili last night, I find myself making lots of gas! Of course my DW does not aprove of this, so I find myself deep underground as well (in the basement). Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM

769 posts, read 1,979,616 times
Considering the type of facilities required to produce that "miniscule amount" of antimatter in a safe manner, no, this could not be done on a home based operation. Unless you have about 1,000 acres, there's no way you could construct the facilities needed. At least at this point, it's a totally inefficient energy source - requires way more resources to produce than the energy that you get back from it. And I would NEVER feel comfortable making those kinds of materials available on such an open basis.

I found this article to be quite interesting:
Antimatter

Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,062,061 times
Creating antimatter requires input of vast amounts of energy, at least equivalent to the rest energy of the created particle/antiparticle pairs, and typically (for antiproton production) tens of thousands to millions of times more. Your electric bill is likely to be quite high.

Are you trying to create a propulsion system for your homemade rocket so you can leave the planet before the meltdown and/or zombie apocalypse? Your neighborhood may not be zoned for such activities. I would check with your HOA first.

On a side note, I loved the episode of Lost in Space when they went to the Anti Matter Universe.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,706,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I was wondering if anyone would provide some insight as to the possibilities of antimatter replication. Based upon current information , we can only manufacture this in miniscule amounts. Does anyone concur with my theory that this is possible from a home based application - provided I construct deep underground with adequate shielding - maybe heavy water , intense EM fields , or antineutrino buffers? I expect this to be removed , so any input given expediently would be appreciated.
I think I found some of that stuff digging for fishing worms.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,686,639 times
It would be more scientific if you put several less microns of da weed you smoking IN YOUR NEXT JOINT.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,920,480 times
Antimatter? In Charlotte? OK since you are asking, there is no future in it. You should check into the Gravitic Enhanced Fusion process. Westinghouse will be building many of these out on Westinghouse Blvd in SW Charlotte one day. (Westinghouse "Event Horizon-II" Gravitic Enhanced Fusion Reactors) Best to get in on the ground floor. Charlotte will be the center of design, development and production of these reactors for the EA Navy. Glorious Times.

More here Brightwarrior 2 Might be a while until you recover your investment. In the meantime, if you insist on the antimatter work, please do it in South Charlotte.

E.A.S Charlotte was lost due to an accident that sent the ship across the event horizon. First successful ship to use the Charlotte technology was the EAS Spartan. Named after the companion city near here down I-85.

Last edited by lumbollo; 10-16-2009 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,062,061 times

NERDS!!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,450,950 times
bs13690 your post cracked me up

If someone knows what thread is about please dm me but

Im thinking it should be moved to house forum or the off topic forum
but
I have no clue
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,099,245 times
maybe sci-fi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte