U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 AM

103 posts, read 421,391 times

Advertisements

....Raleigh!!!!!!!!!!! - Why did they not choose Charlotte?

see below:
Cheap-chic H&M picks Raleigh mall - Home Page - News & Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,993,341 times
^^^^ The same reason why they chose cities like Virginia Beach (2 locations) and Richmond (1 location) before entering into markets like Dallas, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, Denver, etc (H&M still is not in the aforementioned markets). H&M is obviously not in the same category as IKEA when it comes to selecting a market. IKEA goes for the 2 million-plus metros. H&M tends to go for metros in the Northeast (big and small). There is a H&M presence outside of the Northeast, however, it is a very scattered presence.

Being that Virginia Beach and Atlanta were the closest H&M markets to Charlotte, one would think H&M would open in Charlotte first. I personally think geography had more to do with this decision than anything else. Raleigh is closer to H&M's large northeastern market than Charlotte is.

For me, I think it is kinda silly the way some of us crave all of these "chain retailers" that other regions have. Think about it. Seattle gave birth to Nordstrom. Dallas gave birth to Neiman Marcus. Charlotte has its own lesser known retailer (Belk). Yet, we BEG and PLEAD for everyone else's retailer. Belk will NEVER become a H&M, Nordstrom, nor Neiman Marcus if Charlotte doesn't support its own retailer the same way we tend to support everyone else's. I just wanted to put that out there...

Also, Harris Teeter, Family Dollar, Lowes, Bojangles etc are all Charlotte's own. SUPPORT CHARLOTTE BY SUPPORTING THEM lol!!!!!!!! This is NOT an advertisment for these companies. I am just saying we NEED to support OUR own companies more. If we do this, other cities well be asking the question "Why didn't we get a Belks first?". Also (since I am on the topic), I would like to see more support towards UNC Charlotte. Duke and Chapel Hill will NEVER move to Charlotte (no matter how many of those teams' jerseys Charlotteans go out and purchase). Spend some of that money on the "Green and White" instead of the "Blue and White". The "Green and White" is our team. They live in our city. They shop and volunteer in our community.

Hopefully, as Charlotte grows into a "real city", city pride will start to take shape more than the current regional pride I see here.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-16-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,984,593 times
If you look at H&M's track record for opening new stores, this is actually very encouraging. I suspect it won't be long at all before they come to Charlotte. As urbancharlotte noted they've got two stores in the Hampton Roads area, and they've got a gazillon stores in Atlanta. Translation, they're not like Ikea where they build one "destination" store to serve a large area. I recall reading that they're looking to replace stores like Abercrombie and The Gap as the go to store for young people at malls.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM

183 posts, read 182,365 times
Maybe its because of all the universities in the area of Raliegh. H&M draws more young teens and your adults. But there opening a 5th location here in Atlanta at Cumberland mall which will be another mens and women store

Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,637,472 times
i agree with urban charlotte but at the same time, you guys needed an H&M.
oh well, hopefully one will come to charlotte in the near future.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM

9,567 posts, read 26,984,927 times
This is interesting. Since there are H&M stores in cities much larger than Raleigh and Charlotte (H&M is in Manhattan, Boston, Chicago, LA, San Francisco) and they are in cities further south of Raleigh (Atlanta and Orlando) I'm guessing it does not have as much to do with overall population # or geographic location. Most likely it is something else related to the local markets. Does Charlotte have a store much like this already perhaps?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This is interesting. Since there are H&M stores in cities much larger than Raleigh and Charlotte (H&M is in Manhattan, Boston, Chicago, LA, San Francisco) and they are in cities further south of Raleigh (Atlanta and Orlando) I'm guessing it does not have as much to do with overall population # or geographic location. Most likely it is something else related to the local markets. Does Charlotte have a store much like this already perhaps?
I think it probably does have a bit to do with population and geography. The Richmond store opened before the ones in Hampton Roads, so with the Raleigh store now, one could make the argument that they are simply moving south in a slow progression. As for Atlanta, I think the fact that Atlanta is as large as Richmond, Hampton Roads, Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte all put togehter definitly had a lot to do with them going there early on too.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,006,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If it were to go in Charlotte I strongly believe it would be at Southpark. Right now there isn't enough space at Southpark for a store as large as this. I don't want to say anything but there is a rumor that a huge upscale tenant at Southpark may be closing soon. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see H&M take their spot.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If it were to go in Charlotte I strongly believe it would be at Southpark. Right now there isn't enough space at Southpark for a store as large as this. I don't want to say anything but there is a rumor that a huge upscale tenant at Southpark may be closing soon. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see H&M take their spot.
I maybe could see them in South Park. But contrary to what some might think, H&M is not an "upscale" retailer. They're "trendy", but not high end. Raleigh's malls are a little different in that they really don't have a mall that equals South Park. All of their malls have a mix of high end stores and regular stores. So I could have seen them going into any of the Raleigh area malls. But if I'm not mistaken, there are no H&M's in what would be considered Atlanta's high end malls, Lenox, Phipps or Peremiter. In Charlotte, I could see them at either Concord Mills, or North Lake, or even some odd place like Uptown, Birkdale or Blakney. I could be wrong about locations, but I do know they are not considered a high end retailer.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 PM

969 posts, read 1,660,726 times
It's not that H&M doesn't want to come to Charlotte. I'm assuming it's that currently there isn't a space big enough for them in the locations they want. They have been wanting to come to NC and it just happened that a space large enough in a good location opened up in Raleigh first. There might be something we don't know about yet (sometimes malls, etc can shuffle spaces to make one space big enough), plus the economy doesn't help because there isn't much retail space being built right now. I could see them opening a store downtown in the "new" Founders Hall after the renovation is done, assuming there is a space large enough. Bang & Olfusen is opening a store in Founders Hall, so it's possible...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte