U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 PM

55 posts, read 202,165 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been investigating N.C. alot through, Craigslist, realtor.com, checking out maps online and then when I find an area that looks nice to me ( not too far from water, close to mountains, green). I look up the city and find out what I can. I have been curious about Charlotte. As well as all of N.C. for that matter.
My question(s) is: Are there any Floridians, Californians that have moved to N.C. that can tell me why? Why did you choose N.C., why did you leave your state? Do you like where you are now?
Charlotte to me seems like an ideal place to live. I have been telling my husband we should consider checking it out. Not just Charlotte but any areas within 20 or 30 miles.
We live in Florida right now, but even though I do love alot of it, I really miss mountains and the humidity keeps me indoors in a/c for months. That just doesn't seem like a way to live.
Is the weather any better in Charlotte or anywhere else in the state?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 PM

924 posts, read 1,852,544 times
Moved here from Fl two years ago because of husband's job. Would go back in a heartbeat. Charlotte is nice, but I like the tropical weather. We flew down for the weekend and I was in heaven with the heat index at 100. I just got back from the Lowes Motor Speedway and we froze our butts off!!! Soak up some warmth for me. We won't be having any for a very long time.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,706,176 times
What is the correlation with Florida and California?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 AM

55 posts, read 202,165 times
Thanks theBalogas! I guess we all kind of want what we don't have.
I am originally from Cali and now live in Florida>

Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,706,176 times
Moved from Florida. The only thing I miss about Florida is fishing and diving on the gulf coast. The weather in Florida is horrid. It is never comfortable in in Spring, Summer, or Fall and only the northern part gets relief from the horrible heat and humidity twenty four hours a day. In the Charlotte area it is hot in the summer, but at least the mornings and evenings are cool where one can go out and walk, cook out and do things that can't be done in Florida. I see absolutely no advantage of living in Florida. The property taxes are ridiculous, insurance rates are sky high, sales taxes are sky high and hurricanes did nothing for me. It is a good place to go on vacation and that is it.

California covers an area on the Pacific coast that is equivalent of covering an area from Georgia to New England on the Atlantic coast. As a result, there are numerous variations in weather patters and terrain as it is from Georgia to New England. Taxes in California are extremely high. Beaches don't compare with the beaches on the Atlantic as the Pacific water is so bloody cold, housing is extremely expensive, and the state is in dire straights financially. I lived in Santa Barbara.

N.C. has four destinct seasons, taxes are just below the national average, salaries are just above in Charlotte, the economy is great when not in a recession, growth is phonominal, housing is both affordable in all styles are offered. Retired military personnel pay no state income tax on their retirement checks, and the turrain is varied within the state offering various forms of vacations available.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 PM

673 posts, read 2,433,471 times
I lived in FL all my life with the exception of about 1.5 years living in CA. We moved to the Charlotte area primarily for a change. We wanted to experience the change of seasons, and this is probably one of my favorite aspects of living here. I love the trees & the greenery, which are much different than the FL landscape. I also like the style of the homes here, as well as the affordability. We moved here just when the market started to turn, so things were much more affordable here than they were in FL at the time. Now, there is not such a drastic difference in home prices, but property taxes and homeowner's insurance are probably still as issue. Still, we do not miss living in FL. We miss the family & friends we left behind, but we enjoy living in NC. I lived in CA for a short time when I was a teenager, and I really liked it there too. I would not say that it too similar to FL though.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,432,106 times
I lived my entire life in CA. When it came time for us to retire it wasn't possible for us to do so in CA because of the prices of everything. We moved to NC almost 3 years ago now and love it here. Sure I miss CA, the weather my family and friends but not enough to ever move back. Besides, the 4 seasons are a great change and not to severe in either summer or winter. There are more shades of green here then I ever imagined, the people are really friendly and the price to live here is much better then CA. We have found that after our move here, we are now living, where as in CA we were pretty much existing. For us it was a good move. We have several friends and family who have also done this move and remain very happy here. Obviously it isn't right for everyone so do some vacations here first and check it out. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,722,598 times
Vindaloo pretty much summed up my thoughts. My wife and I moved from Orlando over 2 years ago now...and we say we'd never go back! We don't even like going back to visit friends and family (because of the state, not the company!). We left FL primarily due to the state heading into the crapper...housing boom making homes $250k+++, tax reform promising to royally screw the local governments (which it has done), the impending "bite in the a$$" from the shoddy construction being thrown up overnight (which it has), and while I was raised in it, it didn't make the heat and humidity any more tolerable!!!

We picked Charlotte because of the close proximity to the mountains. Sure, it's kinda close to the beach too...lot's of folks head over to the beach for a few days or a week. Not really a day trip like the mountains truly are. I'm more of a mountain person anyway...the beach was just always there when I was a kid...not too interesting! Charlotte offers every convenience of a big city yet is smcak dab in a pretty good environment. The weather is just about perfect. There's just enough topography (hills) to keep it interesting. We've got a pretty good airport (with the exception of no SWA...one of these days though!). And I think there is nearly every single major national chain store and restaurant represented somewhere in town...with a ton of non-chains mixed in everywhere.

Of course, there are some not-so perfect things about the city:
State income tax. Being from FL, this will be new to you...but not too new since you've been to CA. And really this is a statewide thing, not a Charlotte thing.
The political background is frustrating if you tune into it. You've got a city that wants to be a certain way but is kept from being that by a crowd of ignorant voters. Even worse is the petty bickering between Charlotte and jealous Raleigh (e.g. funding sent elsewhere in the state to finish roads since they think Charlotte should be able to handle itself).
No Southwest Airlines!!! This may sound dumb, but when you're held hostage by all the other airlines and their fees for everything, and especially if you're used to using them, it really stinks not having them! Maybe one day though!

All in all, you will not be disappointed with Charlotte. Get a job and do your homework on where to live and you'll be very happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte