U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 01:07 PM

199 posts, read 885,781 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a house in Belmont (Gaston County) and are wondering if someone who has bought a house there can recommend a realtor who has in-depth knowledge about the area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
use direct message for recommendations and not on the forum

thanks
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

10 posts, read 22,203 times
Hi Cgballer,

Currently live in Belmont but can't recommend any realtors (I'm currently looking for one myself (to sell). I have kids in the schools here, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them (or other types of questions).

Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM

184 posts, read 508,468 times
Hello,
Looking to move to belmont, what school district would you recommend (elementary/middle)? Any areas that you would recommend NOT living in?
Thanks!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM

10 posts, read 22,203 times
Tspoon,
There's only one school district in Belmont, so that makes things simple, and even better, it's pretty good (by NC standards). Belmont is small, so there's only one middle school, one high school, and most kids in Belmont attend 2-5 grade at Belmont Central Elementary. All good

Areas I would recommend not living in? Well...since all the kids go to the same schools and there's not much crime in Belmont, the main considerations might be whether you feel strongly about living in the city proper (convenience, but higher property taxes) or if you'd be willing to live about 4 miles down South Point Road, which is technically "South Belmont", although I have never heard anyone call it that. Much lower taxes, same good schools, slightly longer drive.

IMO this is a great time to buy in Belmont...last year there new construction here was still high. This year prices have come down dramatically.

Hope that helped. Feel free to direct message me if you'd like to know anything else. Good Luck.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspoon View Post
Any areas that you would recommend NOT living in?
Thanks!
I would not recommend the following areas:
- Between Hwy74 and I85, Park St and the river
- South of Hwy74, west of N Central Ave, north of the railroad tracks

Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintergrace View Post
The main considerations might be whether you feel strongly about living in the city proper (convenience, but higher property taxes) or if you'd be willing to live about 4 miles down South Point Road, which is technically "South Belmont", although I have never heard anyone call it that. Much lower taxes, same good schools, slightly longer drive.
A lot of the newer neighborhoods are in South Belmont. I prefer the city proper because:
- Shopping and restaurants are all along Wilkinson Blvd (Hwy74)
- Access to Charlotte across the river is only via Hwy74, I85 or SR49 way down south at Lake Wylie
- YMCA is in North Belmont (just across I85) or Lake Wylie, SC if you like to exercise
- Traffic on S Point Road is pretty heavy at times and will keep getting worse as new neighborhoods are being built
- There's a coal fired power station in South Belmont (GG Allen Steam Station) on Plant Allen Rd. I prefer not to live right next to that
- Belmont keeps incorporating the neighborhoods in South Belmont so even if the taxes are lower right now they won't be in a few years

Hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 AM

276 posts, read 417,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
I would not recommend the following areas:
- Between Hwy74 and I85, Park St and the river
- South of Hwy74, west of N Central Ave, north of the railroad tracks
I am looking at a house on Lincoln street. It's not the ritz, but then, I can't afford very expensive housing. The house is very inexpensive, but my idea would be to do an inexpensive wood modernist facadectomy outside and inside. That facadectomy would include making the house unbreachable (why do they still built houses with great big windows in the Land of Home Invasions)?!?

It's just south of 74, and seems to be an area you suggested people stay away from. Can you elaborate? The crime rate is very low in Belmont - they've had one murder in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or