Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Do you know anything about making dried pumpkin seeds to use in trail mix? I don't know anyone who has done this but I am curious if it is difficult and what the best method would be.
Ani, I've done it, many years ago. Pumpkin seeds were cheap then, so it seemed like too much bother. However, considering the current prices, it would be worth it.

Wash the seeds & then lay them out on paper to dry.

It's been so many years that I forgot the temp & time. I found this link. It looks pretty interesting. Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: Three Ways Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I just put the whole pumpkin in the oven and roast it at 400 until it starts to get soft and begins to collapse. The only prep is to pierce the skin a couple of times with a sharp knife. When it starts to collapse take it out of the oven slice it open and let it cool. You will probably want to take a bit of care with this step lest you get burnt by the steam. You have to remove the seeds and strings, but its pretty easy at this point. This technique also works well with winter squash like butternut and acorn.

Roasted like this has a lot more flavor, IMO, than the stuff out of the cans. If you get a choice, I would go with two smaller ones instead of one real large one.
Thanks, Lumbollo! Oh, I would love to have my own punkin patch! And I really enjoy winter all those varieties of squash.

Appreciate the methodology. Now I want to go find some locally grown pumpkins.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Ani,

When we cut the punkin' for halloween, I take the seeds and rinse them well and pat them dry with a dish towel or paper towel. Then i lay them out on a cookie sheet and you can use EVOO or some use Pam cooking spray and coat them lightly. Then add salt to taste. Toss them around to coat....

The oven on at 300, cook them about an hour and toss them about every 15 minutes. You will know when it is time to take them out by the color. They get a really pretty tan color.

I roast them and we just eat them but I am sure they would be good in a trail mix.
I have always thought it was such a waste to get rid of the seeds. If I find a pumpkin, I will look forward to using this method. They are very nutritious (but I am sure you already knew that).

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I've done it, many years ago. Pumpkin seeds were cheap then, so it seemed like too much bother. However, considering the current prices, it would be worth it.

Wash the seeds & then lay them out on paper to dry.

It's been so many years that I forgot the temp & time. I found this link. It looks pretty interesting. Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: Three Ways Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
I think I am gonna put the directions on my blog. I would like to find a pumpkin and take photos. I can't be the only person who would like doing this.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think I am gonna put the directions on my blog. I would like to find a pumpkin and take photos. I can't be the only person who would like doing this.
The washing & baking the seeds isn't bad at all. It's opening all of the shells to get the interior seeds out to put in the trail mix that gets tiresome. However, if you gather a group to sit & talk & pick the seeds out, that could be fun.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,429 times
I just came from the WalMart in Rock Hill and they had a bunch of both large and small cans. They were in a display in the center of the aisle along with everything else people need for fall meals.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
Just got back from Target at Blakeney and they had small cans of pumpkin.

Last edited by nascarnancy; 10-19-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: type oh

Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,294 times
Aldi's .79/can right now.

Food Lion has mountains (stacked in bins and on the shelves) of Libby's canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie filling in 15 and 30 oz - was really surprised to read about any shortage. Seriously.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
yes got some today at Aldi.....

Saralee,
they say the farmers have had a rough couple of seasons, hence the shortage.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
Lowes Foods in Wesley Chapel has a bunch of the small cans. I bought the last two big ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte