U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,617,403 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have heard about the shortage this fall for pumpkin and the pie filling. It is no where to be found in my neck of the woods (gaston county). I thought perhaps if anyone saw it in their local grocery we could post it here. It will not be long until many of us are looking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,080,606 times
Someone else mentioned that on the forum a month or so ago and I saw some in my HT. It was on the bottom self at the end of an isle, baking isle I believe. It is hard to find but it was there.

I did see 2 semi trucks loaded with live turkeys today, feathers were flying! Poor little guys.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,950,411 times
Huh? There are a million pumpkins for sale at the farmer's market and elsewhere. Why not use these for pie making?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
I had to finally ask for help with finding pumpkin a month ago. No one had a clue where it was. One guy told me "Just substitute sweet potatoes - no one will know the difference." HUH?

I have bought two more cans at Food Lion last week, but they were the small cans, not the usual large cans of pumpkin that I usually buy.

The reason many of us like to use canned pumpkin is b/c it is a big job for someone w/ arthritis in wrists to cut a pumpkin up. And it is messy. I don't mind doing it as long as I have the time to clean up the mess w/ rinds, etc. And if I make a Jack-o-Lantern, I have hubby make the cuts - and I scoop out pumpkin and cook it.

However, the ease of opening a can and mixing up some pumpkin bread or a pie cannot compare to the work of cutting up and cooking a pumpkin.

I found the first can at Harris Teeter on Carmel; found the other cans at Food Lion on 51.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:13 PM

769 posts, read 1,984,956 times
Makes me glad we decided to roast and puree the pumpkins ourselves this year!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM

22,015 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I had to finally ask for help with finding pumpkin a month ago. No one had a clue where it was. One guy told me "Just substitute sweet potatoes - no one will know the difference." HUH?

I have bought two more cans at Food Lion last week, but they were the small cans, not the usual large cans of pumpkin that I usually buy.

The reason many of us like to use canned pumpkin is b/c it is a big job for someone w/ arthritis in wrists to cut a pumpkin up. And it is messy. I don't mind doing it as long as I have the time to clean up the mess w/ rinds, etc. And if I make a Jack-o-Lantern, I have hubby make the cuts - and I scoop out pumpkin and cook it.

However, the ease of opening a can and mixing up some pumpkin bread or a pie cannot compare to the work of cutting up and cooking a pumpkin.

I found the first can at Harris Teeter on Carmel; found the other cans at Food Lion on 51.
Yeah, don't forget straining the darned pumpkin, Ani. . . Ugh!!! What a mess!!!!!

Substitute sweet potato for pumpkin? What a stupid answer to your question!!! Apparently he never had sweet potato pie. Sure doesn't taste like pumpkin pie!

Ingles has had cans of pumpkin on the shelves all summer. I haven't looked recently, because right now I can't walk the whole store (It's that big) until I get clearance from the surgeon.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Huh? There are a million pumpkins for sale at the farmer's market and elsewhere. Why not use these for pie making?

that is a tremendous amount of work and when you cook all out meals and then make several pies to share with others, you appreciate that convenience of canned pumpkin.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,031,514 times
We saw canned pumpkin and mix at Walmart. They also had canned pumpkin at Aldi's.

I hadn't heard anything about a pumpkin shortage or I might have gotten mine when I saw it.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Sweet potatoes? Did you school him Ani? LOL

DH is going to be out and about tomorrow and I will have him pop in over at Carmel.

Thanks for input everyone.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,950,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
that is a tremendous amount of work....
I've done this before and it didn't seem like a lot of work. Just roast the thing in the oven first which makes it easy to deal with. Let it cool then scoop out the good part and whir it up on a food processor or mixer with the rest of the ingredients. Now that I think about it, I ought to get the pressure canner and can up some because raw pumpkins are pretty cheap.

In any case, if it can't be found locally, the Amazon grocery store has both Libby's and some organic brand for sale. You have to buy a case of it, but if you are making a lot of pies then probably not a bad deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte