Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:50 PM

32 posts, read 32,106 times

Advertisements

So yeah, Im sure the title of this thread gives you guys all you need.

Basically, Im moving from Memphis to Charlotte. I would like to rent a house within walking distance to a good elementary school. I saw some very nice rentals on Craigslist but I know nothing of the different areas or if theres a school around. Another thing that confuses me are the magnet schools. There was one particular apartment that I LOVED but the people at the school said I had to do open enrollment and that it was not a regular neighborhood school. Seems there are ALOT of these around.

Price range is up to 850/month give or take a few hundred.

Id prefer to live near a Walmart and Target. I am always shopping around. We also need good food within 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,927,040 times
Try Moss Creek in Cabarrus County. You will have to raise your budget about $300 for a townhouse and $500 for a house. The elementary is Odell. There is Target and Wal-Mart about 20 minutes away. Good food is all around.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 PM

85 posts, read 138,230 times
Try Highland Creek, might be a bit more expensive but the elementary school is right in the subdivision. Wal-Mart and Concord Mills 10 mins outside of it.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyaweirdo View Post
So yeah, Im sure the title of this thread gives you guys all you need.

Basically, Im moving from Memphis to Charlotte. I would like to rent a house within walking distance to a good elementary school. I saw some very nice rentals on Craigslist but I know nothing of the different areas or if theres a school around. Another thing that confuses me are the magnet schools. There was one particular apartment that I LOVED but the people at the school said I had to do open enrollment and that it was not a regular neighborhood school. Seems there are ALOT of these around.

Price range is up to 850/month give or take a few hundred.

Id prefer to live near a Walmart and Target. I am always shopping around. We also need good food within 15 minutes.
Your budget is not high enough for a decent house in Charlotte. I'd stick to looking at apartments.

The Hamptons at South Park would allow you to walk the Beverly Woods Elementary, which is a fantastic school.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Id also like to point out that I am NOT looking to pay someone else's house note. Im looking for decent housing for only a year..16 months max as I am planning to buy my own house. I just dont see the point in renting a house for $1400+ when that is clearly houe note-ish.

Ive seen a few good looking rental houses on realtor.com..even a few "for rent by owner" condos/townhomes that were no more than 850. Most were 3 bedrooms with nice sized yards and were fairly new. (2000s) I dont want to go over my budget much. Isnt there any decent, safe places? Or is everything either the slums or expensive? Is there an in between?

I suppose I see where a person may assume that higher rent = low crime but here in Memphis, Ive rented a $1200 loft and was robbed several times...rented a $725 house and it was the best experience EVER. I just want safe, quiet, kid friendly and close to an elementary school.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,435,573 times
Quote:
Id also like to point out that I am NOT looking to pay someone else's house note. Im looking for decent housing for only a year..16 months max as I am planning to buy my own house. I just dont see the point in renting a house for $1400+ when that is clearly houe note-ish.

Ive seen a few good looking rental houses on realtor.com..even a few "for rent by owner" condos/townhomes that were no more than 850. Most were 3 bedrooms with nice sized yards and were fairly new. (2000s) I dont want to go over my budget much. Isnt there any decent, safe places? Or is everything either the slums or expensive? Is there an in between?

I suppose I see where a person may assume that higher rent = low crime but here in Memphis, Ive rented a $1200 loft and was robbed several times...rented a $725 house and it was the best experience EVER. I just want safe, quiet, kid friendly and close to an elementary school.
I would never say "higher rent equals less crime" in Charlotte at all. Most folks realize crime can and does happen anywhere.

Houses you are seeing for $700-800 online can look nice and many are newer construction, built in the big housing bubble when anyone and everyone could get a loan, many of which have been foreclosed on since. So the homes are "decent", sure. The neighborhoods, not so much.

See, Charlotte doesn't have "slums" or "ghettos", we have "challenged neighborhoods", most with failing schools. Since you said you need an elementary school I assumed a good one was going to be a priority for you.

Tell you what, when you find a house you think you like online, give the street address here and people will be happy to tell you what they know about that area okay?

Oh, and townhomes and condo's are a great place to be looking, you likely will find something in your budget if you go that route.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,280,203 times
Quote:
Not sure what this means. Anyone renting out their house is probably going to want their rental income to pay at least most of their mortgage payment.

But anyway, agree with most of the others in that it's going to be tough to get a "house" in your budget that's zoned for what most would consider a good school. But a townhome or apartment complex should be easier to find.

I'd maybe check out the SW Charlotte area, I see a couple townhomes listed for under $1000 that look to be in walking distance to Lake Wylie elementary for example.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:07 PM

Ive been super busy packing and some how forgot to mention that I need child care recommendations!! I am due in 2 weeks and will move when our baby is about 4 -6 weeks. So, not only do I need elementary school recommmendations but I also need daycare recs too. Whats the average going rate in Charlotte these days? Here in Memphis, infact costs are about 100-150/week for pretty good child care. Similar there?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,797,906 times
Quote:
Ive been super busy packing and some how forgot to mention that I need child care recommendations!! I am due in 2 weeks and will move when our baby is about 4 -6 weeks. So, not only do I need elementary school recommmendations but I also need daycare recs too. Whats the average going rate in Charlotte these days? Here in Memphis, infact costs are about 100-150/week for pretty good child care. Similar there?
We paid $265/wk (5 star rated) and $220/wk (4 star rated) for our daughter when she was an infant and that was 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte