Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Montessori for middle school - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/local/story/1006786.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
My two cents talking to alot of people over the years is that I have mixed reviews on Montessori. I've talked to teachers/principals over the years and SEVERAL have told me the kids that come out of those schools are no different that any other kids that come through other ranks.

I've talked to some parents who raved about it also.

Not sure if its worth the hefty price tag....just my .02

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM

47 posts, read 106,970 times
Not sure if its worth the hefty price tag....just my .02

Keep in mind that we are talking about a public montessori middle school, so it won't cost anything for students to attend.

As someone with family memebers and friends who have experience with all of the CMS Montessori Schools, everything I have heard has been very positive. Honestly, we should feel fortunate that we have public montessori schools options here in CMS -- this is not common across the US.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I don't think Montessori is better than another type of education but what I like about it is that if you have a child that isn't doing well in the "regular" school, this method or another may better teach/reach them. That I do believe.

My daughter is in a new classroom that is using a method that I am sooooo impressed with. She comes home brimming with ideas and excitement over what she learned that day. Where as last year she was begging to stay home as she hated school. It is fantastic to see the difference changing the teaching method does!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Montessori is not for everyone. It has to be the right fit for the student (and parents as well) I think it's a great program, especially in the early ages, where it really encourages curiosity and a love of learning. I'm not as sold on it once you get past the early elementary stage. We'll definitely look at Chantilly and Park Rd as options, but they are extremely popular and difficult to get into.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Montessori is not for everyone. It has to be the right fit for the student (and parents as well) I think it's a great program, especially in the early ages, where it really encourages curiosity and a love of learning. I'm not as sold on it once you get past the early elementary stage. We'll definitely look at Chantilly and Park Rd as options, but they are extremely popular and difficult to get into.
I would tend to agree It is a fantastic educational method for toddlers, pre-schoolers and first and second graders. I kind of wonder how much older elementary/middle school kids are really going to learn. But in the younger years, it really is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: