U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 25,723 times

Advertisements

I am looking for THE BEST day care/child care center or Nanny service? Anyone have any opinions? Please don't hold back. I really want honest opinions & advice. And what about pricing? Who has the best services, at the best prices? I have found most places are running about $1000 per month for an infant. Is this standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM

533 posts, read 1,637,378 times
If you can afford a nanny, that might be a good option. I've worked in some of the "BEST" childcare centers in Ballantyne and I would be pretty hesitant to use them for my children when the time comes.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 25,723 times
Thank you for the advice. What did you see particularly that was a turn off? If you don't mind that I ask...

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Lets see...I've worked in 2 popular ballantyne locations, interviewed/observed in another, and worked 3 weeks in another while waiting for a new school to open...so I've been around.

The trend in all is the people that work there don't really want to be there. Overworked, underpaid. They complain all the time and take their negativity out in the classroom. Uneducated people, too, they hire ANYONE really. Even the 5 star center with the great rep that I worked in for a summer had a girl with her GED who called a toddler stupid for not holding a marker the way she wanted him to...I witnessed so many innappropriate things like that and it made me sick. And forget about letting administration know...they would smile and nod and never do a thing about anything I shared with them.

Plus, no matter how small the ratio, 10-12 toddlers in a room is just too many. No matter how much supervision (and they will get away with as few teachers as possible) the kids just run around and eat each other...literally. I could never deliver the curriculum the kids deserved because I was always doing damage congtrol since I rarely had help or competent help...frustrating.

Luckily I finished grad school and moved on. So yeah, long story short...I'd use a nanny!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,136 times
Calvary has a top program and is VERY popular. Before the economy went sour, people would stand in line for hours on registration day trying to get a spot and there were always hundreds on the waiting list. Take a tour, you will be quite impressed. We were and we love it there. It took us over a year to get in and is worth it. It was rated the best preschool/daycare in Charlotte last year.
I'm not sure where the previous poster "observed" but in our school teachers have been there for years and years. My child is in his 3rd year and all his class teachers have been there over 10 years and they love it there and it shows. Plus lead teachers have to have a degree.
Yes, $1000 a month is about right for the area.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Now that I think of it, I babysit for several families who are VERY happy with the Calvary. Definitely worth checking out. I interviewed/observed in Learning Links in Blakeney and their program seemed really good, but I didn't take the position so I don't really know what it's like day to day.

Travlingrlclt, I described what I "observed"...sure, it's not what parents want to hear, but that was my experience, take it or leave it. I worked in several childcare centers (all highly rated, brand name places) between undergrad and grad school and I've seen it all. There are some great teachers out there in these centers but they are far and few between.

Good luck in your search, Cindy!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
The trend in all is the people that work there don't really want to be there. Overworked, underpaid. They complain all the time and take their negativity out in the classroom. Uneducated people, too, they hire ANYONE really. Even the 5 star center with the great rep that I worked in for a summer had a girl with her GED who called a toddler stupid for not holding a marker the way she wanted him to...I witnessed so many innappropriate things like that and it made me sick. And forget about letting administration know...they would smile and nod and never do a thing about anything I shared with them.
I've had my older 2 in daycare before and now we have a nanny plus Calvary for my 2 year old.

I completely agree with you that these things do happen in some daycares. I am certain that the first 2 daycares we used (not in Charlotte) had issues like this with some of the teachers. I moved my kids out b/c I no longer had a good feeling nor could I recommend the daycare to anyone wholeheartedly. As a parent, you have to go with your gut sometimes.

We were later with Goddard at Third Lake in IL, and honestly that is a wonderful facility with terrific teachers and superb owner/manager, which is the KEY. I had no reservations with my kids there and would loved to have picked them up (the center and everyone in it!) and taken them with me to Charlotte

Currently I have my 2 year old in Calvary and feel the same way about this school. I am thrilled to have gotten a spot at what is considered to be one of the top preschools in the area, and I am very pleased with the dedication of the staff and management. Again, just like in any job I truly believe management sets the tone for a great place. I can tell the teachers want to be there and are happy with their work. Unfortunately I don't believe they take infants so your child needs to be at least 2.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 15,527 times
Default Sunshine House

We've been VERY happy with Sunshine House on Donnington (off of Johnston). I visited several places when we relocated and like this the best. Peoples' tastes are different. The thing that I liked best was that they seemed more nurturing then many of the other places. A lot of the others were more regimented than I can imagine my 2 year old adapting to. I mean, uniforms for 2 year olds really surprised me. A lot of the places were eager to impress me with overwhelming 2 year old curriculums, agendas, progress evaluations, etc. But few showed me an instructer sitting on the floor playing affectionately with the children. Again, this is a matter of personal preference, but I feel as thought my child is very well cared for at Sunshine House!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times
my advice is to either get a nanny, or, if you have to do a preschool/daycare situation, make sure it's a non-profit. Calvary would fit the bill, but I'm sure there are others out there that would suit your needs. For-profit centers such as Sunshine House, Rainbow Station, Goddard, all they are there for is the money. The wonderful tour you receive showing off the curriculum, how great the teachers supposedly are, all of the smiles are to get your child enrolled and get your money. Period. Teachers are actually trained that when a tour is coming by to smile, wave, interact w/kids. Non-profits are much more focused on being the best they can be, and the teachers are there only for the children. FWIW, having a degree doesn't mean anything in a child care setting. You could be wonderful at your job and not have any educational experience, or you could have a PhD and suck at it.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,848,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
my advice is to either get a nanny, or, if you have to do a preschool/daycare situation, make sure it's a non-profit. Calvary would fit the bill, but I'm sure there are others out there that would suit your needs. For-profit centers such as Sunshine House, Rainbow Station, Goddard, all they are there for is the money. The wonderful tour you receive showing off the curriculum, how great the teachers supposedly are, all of the smiles are to get your child enrolled and get your money. Period. Teachers are actually trained that when a tour is coming by to smile, wave, interact w/kids. Non-profits are much more focused on being the best they can be, and the teachers are there only for the children. FWIW, having a degree doesn't mean anything in a child care setting. You could be wonderful at your job and not have any educational experience, or you could have a PhD and suck at it.
Not everyone can afford a nanny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or