U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM

32 posts, read 70,910 times

Advertisements

...can anyone tell me where we can find some homemade applepies, hot cider donuts,etc. Kids are missing our traditional apples picking weekends since we moved from NJ to NC. We are looking for anything that resembles an orchard where we can get get some hot cider donuts and apple pies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,130,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriste27 View Post
...can anyone tell me where we can find some homemade applepies, hot cider donuts,etc. Kids are missing our traditional apples picking weekends since we moved from NJ to NC. We are looking for anything that resembles an orchard where we can get get some hot cider donuts and apple pies.
thinking that there are a ton of orchards in the mountains...can't be specific because I am not a fan of the mountains...where is lovesmountains?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,133,576 times
I don't know of any locally but here is a link to Pick Your Own places in Central NC: Central North Carolina Pick-Your-Own Farms - Where to Find Them!. You can search other areas of NC as well.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,869,403 times
Make it a day trip and try the Orchard at Altapass:

The Orchard at Altapass - Family Fun by the Bushels!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,896,876 times
I haven't had a apple cider donut in forever! They are so good.

Off to google to see if i can find some.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 AM

32 posts, read 70,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I haven't had a apple cider donut in forever! They are so good.

Off to google to see if i can find some.
Tell me about it. We have traditionally been doing the whole apple picking, hot cider donut, apple pie day trips for years in NY/NJ area (Bergan and Rockland County). We are lost in South Charlotte with out it so close by. But the pros of this area far out weigh the cons. Let me know if you find someplace close for hot cider donuts.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 AM

616 posts, read 1,568,355 times
Henderson County is awash in orchards and apples (and pears!). Plenty of stands and places where you canpick your own, enjoy apple fritters, etc.

You can take 64 and look for signs. I usually take 64 off of 74 because I like to also go by Lake Lure and enjoy the scenery. Or use an atlas and take the back roads. There is an orchard in Fruitland near Hendersonville named Justus Orchard that specializes in dwarf trees so it is easier for kids to pick. Their Romes were amazing!

Have made two trips through the area since late September and found superb Cortlandts, Romes, Mutsu, Honey Crisp ... the list could go on and on. A grower told me they have lots of apples so prices are really good.

If you like to cook with apples and want some that keep for a long time, try the Arkansas Black. They are a very hard keeping apple - buy now and slice in January for pies.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,946,053 times
There are several people who sell homemade pies at the Mecklenburg regional farmer's market on Saturdays and a number of orchards are selling apples there right now too.

The closest apple orchards to Charlotte are actually located in Taylorsville which you travel up I-77 North of the city until you hit I-40, then go west and take the Taylorsville exit. There are 3 apple houses there from the orchards, and another pick your own farm. This late in the year the supply is probably getting a little low, but Fuji apples are coming in now.

I have been to the apple orchards on Hwy 64 in Hendersonville and they are good, but their season is much earlier due to the cooler climate that comes from the elevation. I would head to Taylorsville now and it's also much closer.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriste27 View Post
Tell me about it. We have traditionally been doing the whole apple picking, hot cider donut, apple pie day trips for years in NY/NJ area (Bergan and Rockland County). We are lost in South Charlotte with out it so close by. But the pros of this area far out weigh the cons. Let me know if you find someplace close for hot cider donuts.
A post someone made on Chowhound a few days ago says these two places do:

Welcome to SkyTop Orchard

NC APPLE FESTIVAL ORCHARD | NC APPLES | J H Stepp's Hillcrest Orchard Farm | Henderson County Apples | Pick Your Own Apples | Western North Carolina Apple Orchard | U Pick Apples | Apple Gift Boxes | NC Apple Festival Day Trip | Country Store | Apple

I'd call first tho, since I don't see them on the website.

Here's a place in Jersey that ships them:

http://www.deliciousorchardsnjonline...?idCategory=20

^^^^They have plain and powdered sugar cider donuts. The ones we used to eat had cinnamon sugar on the outside.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,310,569 times
Another New Jersey person here. I've been missing this tradition too. I will check the areas mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte