Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times

Advertisements

stay in long island or move to jersey before moving to charlotte, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
eek, do you live in or have you lived in Charlotte?

Being that one of the OP's main stated reasons for leaving is the culture of LI, I don't think staying put would be a fix for his issue, yeah?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
eek, do you live in or have you lived in Charlotte?

Being that one of the OP's main stated reasons for leaving is the culture of LI, I don't think staying put would be a fix for his issue, yeah?
the job market is worse in charlotte.
quality of life is debatable (not in my opinion, but in others so...)
can't do 1/234324343 of the things you could do living in long island and being a lirr ride away from nyc.
opportunities to make money aren't there in comparison to charlotte.
dunno, just not worth it to me. OP should stop complaining and stay put or move to jersey like everyone else that says that they want out.

dc would be a better choice than charlotte too, IMO. i just think that the OP should look elsewhere is all. the grass is always greener til you get on the other side and regret. then end up stuck.

*edit*
everything the OP asks for in his first post can be found being in the nyc metro area. he'd be better off not leaving the state of ny, IMO.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
So, is that a "no" you've never lived in CLT?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy View Post
Don't do it! They hate "Yankees" ! We "Yankees" are not humans or people to alot of locals of NC! I moved back to Long Island one year ago this month! Its really not much cheaper to live down there..only property taxes and house prices. Although I did love the schools down there! With one exception, the only nice people I met were former NYers or northeners! I-77 has really bad traffic..taking my hubby 3 hrs to go from Mooresville to Charlotte at times. I think dating-wise you'll do ok. Join a newcomers group or a former NYer's group!

Come on! Thats a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Yes, their are southerners who hate northerners. I never once had someone be rude to me because I'm from the north. In fact, nobody has been rude to me and have found the complete opposite. The biggest stretch of your post; "only nice people I met were former NYers or northerners" hahahahaha

If NC didn't work out for you, their is no need to bash it and make exaggerated claims.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:30 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the job market is worse in charlotte.
quality of life is debatable (not in my opinion, but in others so...)
can't do 1/234324343 of the things you could do living in long island and being a lirr ride away from nyc.
opportunities to make money aren't there in comparison to charlotte.
dunno, just not worth it to me. OP should stop complaining and stay put or move to jersey like everyone else that says that they want out.

dc would be a better choice than charlotte too, IMO. i just think that the OP should look elsewhere is all. the grass is always greener til you get on the other side and regret. then end up stuck.

*edit*
everything the OP asks for in his first post can be found being in the nyc metro area. he'd be better off not leaving the state of ny, IMO.

Everything OP asked for can be found in NYC area??? Are you kidding? Less expense, less crowds and less arrogance? Nothing can be further from the truth. I've lived in Queens, Brooklyn and LI for 35 years, those places are opposite of what OP is looking for.

The only thing I agree with is the job market. Have something BEFORE you come down here.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Everything OP asked for can be found in NYC area??? Are you kidding? Less expense, less crowds and less arrogance? Nothing can be further from the truth. I've lived in Queens, Brooklyn and LI for 35 years, those places are opposite of what OP is looking for.

The only thing I agree with is the job market. Have something BEFORE you come down here.
reread what i said in my post. METRO AREA.

living outside of the city but in close proximity to it >>>>>>> living 34324324 miles away and missing it every second of your life because you thought you wanted to get away.

again, i mentioned:
new jersey
even washington dc metro

(although dc is not in the nyc metro area, i mention the dc area because you can get what you want and not be extra far from nyc. also, dc and the metro area of dc is better than charlotte by far, IMHO.)

as better options for the OP. the job market in NC is terrible. its way too far away and you get what you pay for IMO. OP can get everything he/she wants in the nyc metro area. houses are cheaper, you are still close to nyc and long island in case you ever get homesick or want to actually do something other than climb rocks or camp or something, etc. etc.

where are you located, OP? what part of long island?

Last edited by eek; 10-22-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
reread what i said in my post. METRO AREA.

living outside of the city but in close proximity to it >>>>>>> living 34324324 miles away and missing it every second of your life because you thought you wanted to get away.

again, i mentioned:
new jersey
even washington dc metro

dc area because you can get what you want and not be extra far from nyc. also, dc and the metro area of dc is better than charlotte by far, IMHO.

as better options for the OP. the job market in NC is terrible. its way too far away and you get what you pay for IMO. OP can get everything he/she wants in the nyc metro area. houses are cheaper, you are still close to nyc and long island in case you ever get homesick or want to actually do something other than climb rocks or camp or something, etc. etc.

where are you located, OP? what part of long island?
Oy...let it go... OP wants to do something different..not everyone sees this your way.. The only I agree with is the job..HAVE ONE FIRST....

Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
eek

so then you let it go if thats all you agree with.

i'm telling the OP my opinion on his situation and you are entitled to tell him/her yours.

your opinion is that the job market is better in ny.
my opinion is that not only is the job market better but the quality of life (things you can do, bang for your buck, job market, parks, museums, etc.) is better in the nyc metro area.

you are free to disagree. cool. fine. swell and alla that. let me have my opinion. you can have yours. the OP can look at both.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

Completely agree - the OP clearly wants out of NY - as long as he can find a job here he'd have a much better quality of life if he came down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte