Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times

Advertisements

Would it be too much trouble to erect signs that had pictures to accompany the words?
I'm thinking of roundabout signs that provide destinations as well as geographical directions.

If you know you need to go East, it tells you.
If you know you need to go to 'Magin', it tells you.
You can throw the words Inner and Outer on there, too, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Don't really think that idiot proof enough....like another poster said earlier, basically if you don't know your geography around here you'll have trouble figuring out large stretches of 485 (no, going from Matthews to Carolina Place Mall in Pineville doesn't count). (or if you've been here since 485 opened, you might have a shot)..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM

81 posts, read 158,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
inner and outer does not bother me because like the other posters said, we are not in Europe or other countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road. inner is clockwise and vice versa...

The engineers who decided on the north/south east/west thing were definitely on some type of drugs when they thought of where to put the signs...they make NO sense especially by 64b in pineville.
Europe is not a country and in the 'continent' of Europe only the UK and Ireland (and Malta and Cyprus) drive on the left.

Japan, India, South Africa, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, and most former British colonies drive on the left. Most of the world drives on the right, like in the US.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I pretty much lost all sense of direction when I moved here from CA. I had the ocean and mountains to guide me and now all I have here are tree's, thousands and thousands of tree's everywhere that I can't see around or above to have any kind of landmark referance. Now don't get me wrong I love the tree's, they just don't help my navigating at all.

When I first moved here my BIL kept telling me about the inner and outer loop. I thought they were 2 different freeways until we were on the outerloop and I asked where the inner loop was and he pointed to the other side of the freeway!

Don't even get me started on the road signs.

I'm with you on this subject

Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I'm with you on this subject
YEAH! I am not alone. Actually when our friends from So Cal came out in July they had the same problem, lost total sense of direction.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
I just moved from Illinois this summer, and this inner/outer thing in theory makes sense but it confuses me too (maybe it's a midwest thing ). I figure out where I have to go and make a point of remembering when I get on if I'm inner or outer so I can go the opposite when I'm heading back. I am not very directionally aware. With my compass (N, S) I was all set but somehow N/S here just does not work as well b/c of all the curving roads.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Europe is not a country and in the 'continent' of Europe only the UK and Ireland (and Malta and Cyprus) drive on the left.

Japan, India, South Africa, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Pakistan, and most former British colonies drive on the left. Most of the world drives on the right, like in the US.
Thanks for the geography lesson , I was typing fast and I know Europe is a continent but I was thinking ahead about countries for instance in the carribean where they drive on the left side of the road. Can we get back to the point of this thread regarding inner/outer N-E-S-W?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
YEAH! I am not alone. Actually when our friends from So Cal came out in July they had the same problem, lost total sense of direction.
True true...when you get used to Thomas Guides and giving directions based on grids, SoCal peeps get lost. I used to give directions like so.."I live in Anystreet, major cross streets X & Y. I'm in the SW corner of X", or the gas company wouldn't find me.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 47,024 times
Default 485 Inner and Outer

I can completely understand the confusion!! I remember when I moved here last year from Baltimore area I thought I would "get" the highways surrounding Charlotte because of the beltways that surround Balt and DC but that wasn't the case
I have always known that the inner loop is directionally travelling clockwise and the outer loop is counter clockwise but still it confused me. So I did some research and of the three "ring roads" that surround the city, 277 is being touted the first non-contiguous loop route in the United States to formally utilize the inner/outer orienting concept with directional signage.
I thought everyone else might find this amusing as I did because signage is one of this city's worst highway problems!!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I have never seen inner/outer signage on 277. I have a hard time figuring out which way to go on 277 other than how I get to work each day. Come to think of it, I have no idea if I go North or South I just know to stay to the right once 74 ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte