U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times

Advertisements

[quote=vindaloo;11330602]I was in Chicago two months ago. Can't say that I saw any n,e,s,or w signs. Silly me, I just followed the signs leading me towards Chicago. Then, I followed the sign to Madison. Then I followed the sign to Minneapolis, and so on. I guess if you're going to the airport in Charlotte, forget the airport signs and look for the sign that says "west", rigt?[/QUOTE

Once again, Vindaloo, I was directing my response to a Chicago native who would know what I was talking about.

Although there are N,S,E,W signs in Chicago (obviously, you must have missed them), I was in reference to Chicagoans giving directions to one another. It is quite common to say..."go north on Milwaukee until you reach Devon, then travel east for 3 miles..." etc. When you are learning to drive in the city, one of the first things that you learn are your directions by looking at where the sun is and your surroundings. Additionally, the way the streets are numbered (addresses) will tell you what direction you are going. If you get really lost, you always know that the lake is to your east, and O'Hare is to the northwest. So, this is what I was trying to do for January, establish some "landmarks" to make it easier to circumvent 485.

Once when I arrived at Midway field by plane, my sons and I rented a car. Now, the north/south divide in the city is much worse than anything experienced here and I had never been to Midway because it is on the south side of the city (I am a born northsider. we don't go to the south side and vice versa). I was completely lost. However, I looked for my "bearings", in this case it was the skyscrapers (at first) and then the lake, following the addresses knowing that I was going north until I reached a place on (North) Lake Shore Drive that I knew where I was and continued on to my destination.

Another story was that once my friend tried to tell my son how to get to the hot dog stand to pick up hot dogs for the family. She wrote down the directions as going north and then east on the various roads. My son had this perplexed look on his face, so, I intercepted the directions and asked her to re-write them using the standard turn left or right or what have you. She was unsure of those kinds of directions...and, yes, the kid got lost and our hot dogs were cold!!

Last edited by chicagocubs; 10-24-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,067,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Pretty easy in California going north and south when you have two highways, five and one. Doesn't take much to navigate there.
Well then I guess you never took the 405, 605, 91, 22, 55, 101, 15, 40, 210, 18, 60, 134 or the 110. Think I'm still missing a couple.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,559,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Well then I guess you never took the 405, 605, 91, 22, 55, 101, 15, 40, 210, 18, 60, 134 or the 110. Think I'm still missing a couple.
You missed 10 and this is just Southern CA. There's I-80 and 50 up north. Funny why someone would think California has two freeways.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 20,413 times
The labeling of I-485 as just 'inner' and 'outer' without a compass direction, which they've now done one the actual road, is inadequate. Inner and outer is a side of a road, not a direction. They need to add the compass direction back and use bothlike they do (sometimes) in DC. Then - it's covered for everyone, no matter what you like.

It's rather useless to label it just 'inner', though. If someone said they were on I-485 inner, they could be at any point on the circle - and you'd have no clue where. You would only know they were driving in a circle. So I know the city is to my right. That doesn't help much, as you could drive the loop continuous forever and it would always be on your right.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,436,080 times
Using GPS would solve all of these questions.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 AM

104 posts, read 154,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bester2258 View Post
The labeling of I-485 as just 'inner' and 'outer' without a compass direction, which they've now done one the actual road, is inadequate. Inner and outer is a side of a road, not a direction. They need to add the compass direction back and use bothlike they do (sometimes) in DC. Then - it's covered for everyone, no matter what you like.

It's rather useless to label it just 'inner', though. If someone said they were on I-485 inner, they could be at any point on the circle - and you'd have no clue where. You would only know they were driving in a circle. So I know the city is to my right. That doesn't help much, as you could drive the loop continuous forever and it would always be on your right.
The problem is when they put a cardinal direction on it, they put the WRONG direction on it. Hence they were not only completely useless, but they were also misleading.

To me, inner/outer is more useful than a cardinal direction for a road that essentially doesn't travel in a cardinal direction.

For example, what if you get on 485 at Johnston to go to Pineville-Matthews? Take a look at the map:

Bing Maps Beta

Would this be 485 West, or 485 North? If you label it by where you get on the freeway (the most sense) it would be West. But at 51 it would be North. If you label it by overall route, it would be Northwest. At least with "Inner" it's just "Inner".

Perhaps if they said "Inner (clockwise)" and "Outer (counter-clockwise)" it would be clearer. But that wouldn't fit on the signs.

Or they could add another lane or two. Sigh.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Using GPS would solve all of these questions.
I agree
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-20-2010, 07:00 PM

103 posts, read 216,548 times
Thank you for explaining the inner and outer concept. It never made any sense to me until now. I can't say I love it, but maybe it will help me to head in the right direction more than half the time from now on!

I'm from NY, and one think I like here is that exit numbers correspond with how many miles you've gone. If you're at exit 1 and you need to go to exit 20, well you're going to drive 20 miles. In NY, exit 1 and exit 5 could be 20 miles apart--you'll never know until you get there.

Frankly, N/S/E/W work fine for me. But an exit sign that gives me the name of the road and some random city that is along that road does NOT work for me. I may not have a clue about that city. Just please tell me if I'm heading north, south, east or west. I can work with that.

California folks: when you're on the east coast, guess what. The ocean is to the east. It's easy. It's just the oppose of where it was when you were in Cali. Don't tell me you could always see the ocean and the mountains wherever you drove in Cali. I've been there. Mostly, all I ever saw was more freeways and traffic and smog. I'll take the trees, thank you. You'll be OK if you remember: ocean=east. Now breathe. Just a little fun, folks.

What I CAN'T stand most is different roads with the same darn name. We're all sick of hearing about the intersection of Queens/Queens/Queens up in Charlotte, right? Well, in Fort Mill, we have 21 Business and 21 By-pass. We also have Gold Hill Road, which now connects Tega Cay to the Town of Fort Mill. Well, if you take Gold Hill Road east from where it starts in Tega Cay, at some point it becomes "Truck Route 160", then it's also Highway 21, and then it becomes Springfield Parkway as you get closer to the Town of Fort Mill. Along the way, drivers will cross 21 Business and 21 By-pass (probably at whatever point this road is also called 21). Then, at the end, you are once again on 160 (the end that heads north up to 521), which is also known as Spratt Street, but which is also 21 at one point or another. You can imagine why guests headed to my house (off of Springfield Parkway) from I-77 ALWAYS call me concerned that they've made a wrong turn somewhere. I always have to say, 'just stay straight--do not make any turns anywhere until you see bla-bla-bla road--no matter what the signs say.' I dunno about you, but my head is spinning.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,140 times
Is this correct?

Assume only one rule for "inner/ outer" on 485. The rule is if you are heading in a clockwise direction you are on the INNER.

Therefore:

If you are in Ballantyne in south Charlotte and wish to go to Tega Cay SC you will need to get to the main road 77(TWO Digits denotes a Main Road). You accomplish this by going in a east to west(clockwise) direction from Ballantyne. You thus Must choose the INNER of the 485 belt because of the one rule above.( Remember the three digits denote it is a belt; two digits a Main Road)
Once you hit interstate 77 you of course head south to SC.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM

554 posts, read 1,312,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I happen to agree completely with you. Inner/outer makes me think of belly buttons , not a road. I have no idea which is which. I have trained myself to look at where I am going...is it south or north of where I am...that is the only way I can get anywhere on 485!!
thats how i do it too...i dont get the inner outter thing either and its quite funny how much my family gets lost when they come to visit from NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte