Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

OMG, I'm so glad I'm not the only one totally confused by this!!! We actually lived here a year before I figured it out!

One day we're driving on 485, the entrance side says "inner/outer" and I'm freaking out thinking I'm going to get lost again.... and hubby is like "uh, inner means inside the circle going clockwise, outer is in the outer lanes counterclockwise." It just suddenly dawned on him what it referred to!

I suppose after thinking about it, it makes sense for a road that goes in a circle. Sort of. As a newcomer though it caused much confusion and seems a little absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I agree. I think the most confusing thing is not Inner and Outer, but the lack of consistency on all the signs on 485. If they were all the same it would make more sense.
Excuse the double post, but yes, I agree! Some say north/south, some inner/outer, and some which city they ultimately lead to. The city-type signs are the most confusing, being new to the area and trying to figure out if I need to go towards Statesville or Rock Hill when I have no idea where those places are...

Old 10-23-2009, 05:52 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,148 times
Too bad we couldn't keep it difficult enough to keep out, or at least, discourage all the relocation!

Please, before you get your panties in a wad, I kid, I kid. =p

Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Excuse the double post, but yes, I agree! Some say north/south, some inner/outer, and some which city they ultimately lead to. The city-type signs are the most confusing, being new to the area and trying to figure out if I need to go towards Statesville or Rock Hill when I have no idea where those places are...
Well, you just remember that Statesville is north, Rock Hill is south (and is in South Carolina). The airport is on the west side. Mint Hill is east. I know that directions are not easy here; it's harder when you don't know things like that. Also, the usual directions, N,S, E & W are not commonly used here for some reason.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Smile This tread reminds me of. . .

YouTube - Who's on first?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
LOL Pink Caddy. Still to this day when I go in a roundabout I say Big Ben, Parliament. I guess 485 is like a large roundabout although not quite finished but close enough.

YouTube - European Vacation - Roundabout

Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
hahahaha...just making a reference to the way directions are given in Chicagoland...and, as I recall, January is from the Chicago area...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 AM

210 posts, read 507,539 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Inner/Outer makes more sense on 485, than North/South does on HWY 51 and HWY 49. Or East/West on Sugar Creek Road.
I agree with you on this one. Maybe they never looked at a map when deciding what direction any of these roads took?

When it comes to 485, each of us will have a different idea of how to interpret the direction depending on where we live or work.
I work near South Blvd in S. Charlotte. To me, Inner means toward Gastonia area and Outer means toward Matthews/ Mint Hill/ Concord. The axis for me is I77. If I'm coming from Winston-Salem down I77, outer goes to Gastonia, inner goes to Concord.

My husband? He just uses the Gamin & tries not to get involved.

Um, did I say I have a great sense of direction and understand geometry & Trig?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
hahahaha...just making a reference to the way directions are given in Chicagoland...and, as I recall, January is from the Chicago area...
I was in Chicago two months ago. Can't say that I remember seeing any n,e,s,or w signs. I just followed the signs leading me towards Chicago. Then, I followed the sign to Madison, then Minneapolis, and so on. I guess if you're going to the airport in Charlotte, forget the airport signs and look for the sign that says "west", right? There are signs that I can think of immediately pointing north and south on Old Statesville Road and on Independence going east and west. True that the inner and outer labels on I77 are stupid. Directions are posted here as they are everywhere else. Heck, in California you either drive towards L.A. or San Francisco. Not much in between. Heck Michael Jackson is gone. No reason to even try to find Santa Maria.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-24-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 04:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I pretty much lost all sense of direction when I moved here from CA. I had the ocean and mountains to guide me and now all I have here are tree's, thousands and thousands of tree's everywhere that I can't see around or above to have any kind of landmark referance. Now don't get me wrong I love the tree's, they just don't help my navigating at all.

When I first moved here my BIL kept telling me about the inner and outer loop. I thought they were 2 different freeways until we were on the outerloop and I asked where the inner loop was and he pointed to the other side of the freeway!

Don't even get me started on the road signs.
Pretty easy in California going north and south when you have two highways, five and one. Doesn't take much to navigate there.

Last edited by vindaloo; 10-24-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte