U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM

27 posts, read 64,440 times

Advertisements

So a Job Opening came up in one of our offices in Charlotte and I have asked to get transfered. I want to move my family out of California as its just getting worse and worse and cant handle anymore. The quak we call Governor is ruining this state. I like to do allot of out door activies like ride mountain bikes, Dirt Bikes, Street Bikes, Camping, And boating. As you can tell I like toys. But I'm going to sell all my toys as I don't want to bring them all with me if I do get the job. Can you tell me how the education system is out there. I see the house prices are cheap out there. Is there a train that will take you to NY from Charlotte? If so how long is the ride? Any insight you can give me on what to expect if I do move out there? I'm married and have 2 daughters one 14 and the other 10. Needless to say my 14 year isn't too happy about the possibility of moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:13 AM

570 posts, read 539,961 times
Yes, you can ride Amtrak between New York and Charlotte. For example, you can leave New York at 2:15 PM and arrive in Charlotte at 2:20 AM (almost exactly 12 hours). Check this out: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may09/T04.pdf

I love riding the train. Before I left San Diego, I went up to L.A. one weekend via Amtrak. It was fantastic! So convenient. No traffic, and a good portion of the trip was along the coastline. Sitting there relaxing on the train while watching surfers, instead of being stuck in gridlock, how awesome is that?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,932,125 times
I voted for the "quak" for his first term a little bit before I left California. I already knew I was leaving so I told myself "why not!"

I think you can take Amtrak train to NYC. Not sure how long it will take. Probably longer than driving yourself. The drive is probably 12 hours.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it would be allot faster than 12 hours. Too bad there isn't a high speed rail.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM

So how do you like living in NC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
I voted for the "quak" for his first term a little bit before I left California. I already knew I was leaving so I told myself "why not!"

I think you can take Amtrak train to NYC. Not sure how long it will take. Probably longer than driving yourself. The drive is probably 12 hours.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,061,846 times
Hey Asegura,
I moved out from the OC 3 years ago. DH wanted to get out for the same reasons so he twisted my arm. My first suggestion is to get a GPS as Charlotte is not layed out in a grid system like LA/OC. The streets change names it can get frustrating, a GPS will save you a lot of frustration. If you want a good chuckle check out the thread regarding the 485 loop. DH and I lost all sense of direction when we moved here. I am not sure I'll ever recover! Have you been here before?

Lake Norman is huge, I think you'll enjoy that for boating and it's close by. The National White Water Center has mountain bike trails, I do know their are quite a few other places as a gal I worked with used to bike all the time. I haven't been off roading but see atv's and bikes loaded up in trucks all the time. Camping, no problem. Too bad you're missing the peak leaf season right now, the fall is so beatiful. The beach is about 3 hours away. Here are a few websites to check out.

US National Whitewater Center
Lake Norman Lake / Boat Access Areas
Camping in North Carolina
North Carolina RV Parks & Campgrounds - Camping in North Carolina - RV Clubs
SIGN-UP Today For Instant Access To North Carolina Dirt Biking / Motocross Info & Maps

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,906,978 times
It's OK to be optimistic but lets be realistic here...Unemployment is at 11%/Sales tax is 8.25%/Foreclosures left and right... Lets face it...North Carolina (Charlotte) has plummeted quickly. NC(Charlotte) in general needs to start recruiting more companies/organizations here to accommodate the unemployed residents here. I actually think it's quite sad when you have people here that used to be employed making "modest' salaries, now asking for assistance. Charlotte is becoming the 'mini' California. It used to be quite affordable, but not anymore. Born and bred right here in CLT.. Real Estate wise, housing is much cheaper here than in Los Angeles.....However NC will tax the 'hell" out of you.. You have vehicle tax here/ Unemployment here is at an all time high...Not enough jobs to go around for the amount of people that are here or that are moving here. And also get ready for culture shock...Charlotte is not culturally diverse as Los Angeles. Having been to Los Angeles on several occasions, LA & Charlotte are two totally different paths. You have more of a selection regarding culturally diverse things to choose from. I recommend to take a trip here and see for yourself, how things..are..

Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Thats what I want to hear. I have a GPS on my Iphone so that will help me get around. Well if all goes well I hope to hear something real soon and I'll start selling everything I own. I don't plan on bringing any of my furniture or toys. I'm getting excited and hoping everything works out.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM

That is one of the things I'm concerned with Cultural. My wife and I consider ourselves foodies and we enjoy trying new foods. I was hoping to hear that there is tons of cultural out there. I never been there before but have seen picture and such. I have talk to people here where I work that been to our office there and they say its real nice out there. I talk to a couple of the guys that work in that office and they seem to like it out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
It's OK to be optimistic but lets be realistic here...Unemployment is at 11%/Sales tax is 8.25%/Foreclosures left and right... Lets face it...North Carolina (Charlotte) has plummeted quickly. NC(Charlotte) in general needs to start recruiting more companies/organizations here to accommodate the unemployed residents here. I actually think it's quite sad when you have people here that used to be employed making "modest' salaries, now asking for assistance. Charlotte is becoming the 'mini' California. It used to be quite affordable, but not anymore. Born and bred right here in CLT.. Real Estate wise, housing is much cheaper here than in Los Angeles.....However NC will tax the 'hell" out of you.. You have vehicle tax here/ Unemployment here is at an all time high...Not enough jobs to go around for the amount of people that are here or that are moving here. And also get ready for culture shock...Charlotte is not culturally diverse as Los Angeles. Having been to Los Angeles on several occasions, LA & Charlotte are two totally different paths. You have more of a selection regarding culturally diverse things to choose from. I recommend to take a trip here and see for yourself, how things..are..

Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
am2

413 posts, read 743,079 times
2 of my aunts and several cousins moved to Charlotte from LA 4 yrs ago and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte