U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM

7,042 posts, read 8,277,650 times
Default Replacing the ductwork in my house

Has anyone had this done? Definitely need to do this at my house...

Kind of need to know a ballpark price to budget....any hvac people out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 PM

27,042 posts, read 19,073,317 times
Depends on where most of it is located, the type you have or want and how much of it there is...

Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 AM

5,137 posts, read 4,562,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Has anyone had this done? Definitely need to do this at my house...

Kind of need to know a ballpark price to budget....any hvac people out there?
I have sent you a DM.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Depends on where most of it is located, the type you have or want and how much of it there is...
Most of it is in the attic, it is probably the cheapest thing that Ryan homes used and enough for a 1500 sq foot house.

I think that it is probably torn somewhere or just disintegrated. In the winter, I get horrible amounts of dust that look like drywall dust in my rooms downstairs. (when the heater is on, naturally). Had the heater replaced about 4 years ago, it is probably more powerful than the original one and the force of the air has done something, I suspect.

I am highly allergic to dust. However, even with a full-house air cleaner, and two additional air cleaners, just can't seem to get the dust to go away (especially in my bedroom) and I get sick because of it. thinking this is my alternative.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Yeah sounds like it's leaking outside of the home which causes a greater pressure difference inside the home allowing even more air infiltration from the cracks and crevices which is already higher in the winter than in the summer. Gust of air increase infiltration too...

You may not need all new duct unless you just want it. If you do get new duct and it's flexible duct make sure it's pulled tight and isn't allowed to sag. Make sure they istall the proper hangers and seal any connections. Most importantly and probably the least likely thing to be done is a: Understanding Manual D

Old 10-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yeah sounds like it's leaking outside of the home which causes a greater pressure difference inside the home allowing even more air infiltration from the cracks and crevices which is already higher in the winter than in the summer. Gust of air increase infiltration too...

You may not need all new duct unless you just want it. If you do get new duct and it's flexible duct make sure it's pulled tight and isn't allowed to sag. Make sure they istall the proper hangers and seal any connections. Most importantly and probably the least likely thing to be done is a: Understanding Manual D
'bout how much should something like this cost? Repairing or replacing. I need to start getting some bids before the weather really goes cold.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 PM

If it's just a leaking duct it shouldn't be much at all, not much more than the service call and what little materials they need unless every one of your joints leaks. If you want it all replaced it could be in the $1,000's... It would vary with the contractor and how much they're willing, or can do, and how accurate they, and you, want to get. You could always get up there and see for yourself about how bad it is. You'll want to check around the joints and connections if it's flexible duct like I suspect it is. You'll want to look for moisture if it's hot enough to have the A/C on like it's been the past couple of days. The leaking cold air will cause moisture to condense on whatever it's blowing against. If they choose to seal the connections mastic is my choice but the "silver" hvac tape can be used but I don't prefer that way only. if you decide to use the tape you'll need to clean the surface that the tape will adhere to very well with some sort of solvent. It's a good idea to clean where any sealer will be used for longevity. While you're up there, if you choose to, check to make sure the duct work is ran as straight as possible and has no kinks or anything laying across it. It's also probably a good idea to start early in the morning so it's not too hot up there or wait for a cooler day so it's not so bad...

http://www.covalenceadhesives.com/Markets.aspx?ID=9
http://www.rcdmastics.com/

Last edited by BigJon3475; 10-24-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM

thanks Jon. Need to be able to talk (somewhat) intelligently when discussing this with potential contractors!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM

55 posts, read 110,951 times
We just bought an older home in Lake Wylie and will be doing the same project soon. The unit has been replaced fairly recent so we are ok there, but the duct work in the crawl space is part of the old system and what they did redo was done poorly. Basically, they brought the trunk line just inside the crawl space and then ran the individual flex branches to each boot. So I have about two dozen 30-50 foot long lengths of flex lying under the house heading in different directions. I already found several holes, plus some deterioration in the material, so I'm going to replace it and relocate it to the attic as well. I plan on running a metal trunk line and then flex branches, nothing over 10 feet, for a more efficient system. I'll do the install myself, so I called a buddy of mine that is a mechanical contractor to ask about a ball park price for material, the house is approximately 1600 sq ft. He said without looking at it, just ball parking what I had in mind would likely be around $1,000-$1,200 for materials. That was a ball park based on conversation so it could vary. I suspect labor cost would be another 1 1/2-2 times that amount if I had a company do the work, if that helps you get a basic idea for costs.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 AM

You sure you want to place your duct work in the 130°F+ attic? Insulation helps but the attic is the last place you really want your duct work. Yeah I know it's common but that doesn't make it desirable. Is there no room under the house to keep it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte