Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:30 PM

18 posts, read 81,831 times

Advertisements

Hello all -
My wife and I have been looking to relocate to the south for the last few years and have been focusing on Florida. We are having reservations about Florida as a place to raise a youg family, for reasons I don't want to get into.
We are hearing good things about both Raleigh and Charolette but are not sure about the differences, haven't explored either city yet. Employment is not a factor as I will be commuting back and forth from Chicago. With 3 childern under 5 years old, whats most important is a quality safe neighborhood with a sense of community. Between both cities which city has the most cultural events, best night life (for mom and dad to go out), and most of all, friendly for young families. Out price range for renting initially, is between $1500 to $2000 - just throwing it out there in case the question comes up.
Any advice please.
Thanks !

Last edited by Matt_11; 10-25-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,240 times
Charlotte is more diverse and more of a real "city" than Raleigh.
Real estate is a little more expensive in the Raleigh area. Both are good places to raise a family.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Is Charolette anywhere near Charlotte? If you had done this once I would have said it was a typo, but this makes me think you haven't even looked us up on a map yet. I recommend that you do some basic research first on these places and then ask some specific questions and the people here can be much more helpful. I believe there is a Raleigh vs Charlotte topic in the NC forum if you are looking for that.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:02 PM

Sorry Lumbollo for the offensive Typo - no your wrong, I did look up on the map.
Don't bother replying to me again, I didn't like the arrogant tone of your post - gee I sure hope all North Carolinians dont have your attitude.

Last edited by Matt_11; 10-25-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM

123 posts, read 328,508 times
I think if you spend a long weekend or so in each area you will be able to decide pretty quickly. Both are nice areas to raise a family but have a different feel about "them", it really depends on what setting you prefer. The real work comes when you decide between the two, thats when you need to decide on which suburb around the city you like, what schools suite your needs, subdivisions etc. A lot of research to be done! Good luck on your search.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:25 PM
am2

413 posts, read 856,070 times
Id take Charlotte over Raleigh

Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Charlotte is larger and a more conservative city than Raleigh, while both are very nice I like Charlotte better (obv since I live here!)

Old 10-25-2009, 04:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I would think since you posted this in the Charlotte fourm, people here will respond thatCharlotte is better. The one you posted in the Raleigh forum will be responded with Raleigh. Were you interested in the family activities in our area? Or what makes Charlotte a good place to raise a family? You will find any of the things you said you were looking for in your post in any city. If you ask very specific questions you will get great answers quickly from the posters here, but I think your queries are too broad. What is it that turns you off about Florida, and why don't you want to stay in Chicago? How old (specifically) are your children? What types of activities do you enjoy as a family (other than nightlife and cultural events)? How long of a commute time are you willing to commit to? Do you need to be close to the airport, since you will be flying to Chicago for work? Do you want to be in a public school system, or are you planning on private or homeschool? Your answers will help us help you!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_11 View Post
Sorry Lumbollo for the offensive Typo - no your wrong, I did look up on the map.
Don't bother replying to me again, I didn't like the arrogant tone of your post - gee I sure hope all North Carolinians dont have your attitude.
Oh, don't mind him he's prolly from Fla. or NY.
BTW--don't you know how to spell a city you're interested in moving to?
It's spelled Charllet. And no " most North Carofornians " don't have an appitude (or is altidue?)

ind heim he's prolly from Florida or NY>

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I would think since you posted this in the Charlotte fourm, people here will respond thatCharlotte is better. The one you posted in the Raleigh forum will be responded with Raleigh. Were you interested in the family activities in our area? Or what makes Charlotte a good place to raise a family? You will find any of the things you said you were looking for in your post in any city. If you ask very specific questions you will get great answers quickly from the posters here, but I think your queries are too broad. What is it that turns you off about Florida, and why don't you want to stay in Chicago? How old (specifically) are your children? What types of activities do you enjoy as a family (other than nightlife and cultural events)? How long of a commute time are you willing to commit to? Do you need to be close to the airport, since you will be flying to Chicago for work? Do you want to be in a public school system, or are you planning on private or homeschool? Your answers will help us help you!

Hello coastalgirl - I'll answer your questions below, and thanks for the candid reply without needless focus on the typo!

Were you interested in the family activities in our area? Yes, I'm interested in what kind of family activities Charlotte has to offer over Raleigh.

Or what makes Charlotte a good place to raise a family? Yes, that is a good way to frame it. What makes Charlotte a great family town.

What is it that turns you off about Florida, and why don't you want to stay in Chicago? Florida seems to be full of creeps (watch the news lately?) - not to mention I think the neighborhoods are way to cookie cutter type, all the houses look the same. Chicago is a stressful city to live, and gets way too cold.

What types of activities do you enjoy as a family (other than nightlife and cultural events)? We enjoy carnivals, block parties, festivals - things of that nature.

How long of a commute time are you willing to commit to? To the airport ? 30 minutes.

Do you need to be close to the airport, since you will be flying to Chicago for work? Yes

Do you want to be in a public school system, or are you planning on private or homeschool? Public.

Let me outline a perfect family neighborhood.

- you can leave your doors open and not worry.
- your neighbors know who you are and say hello when they see you.
- kids on every block.
- everybody on the block keeps an eye out for the kids.
- houses don't all look the same.
- when someone needs help, everybody pulls together and pitches in.

Thanks !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte