U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
 
4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Reputation: 1560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There is not 88-90% employment.

The 9.8% (or whatever the # is) is the "official" government # on employment, however like everything else if you just stop at the headline and dont get into the details of that # (like you've done) then you are misled.

What the "official" govt # doesn't include is 1. part time workers looking for full time jobs, people who can't collect unemployment because they are self employed (and might have lost a job), and also those people who are discouraged and have stopped looking. This would be included in the true government "U-6" # which is around 17% right now...

check this one of many links for an explanation.


Unemployment Charts (Not Pretty) | The Big Picture

also Pink, you made no mention of people who have had their salaries cut or who are furloughed....(which is a huge reality in my line of business.)

So your 88-90% is truly bogus which is why I always dig deeper into headlines and give my reasons on C/D for practically any topic.
O.K. Coupon, this is getting scary. I agree with you again. It is true that the figures are bogus. For example, I moved here as an educator. When I was actually ready to go back to work after getting moved in, teaching positions were cut. I didn't apply for unemployment as I moved here from Florida where I had a job. Yet, I am unemployed and not counted on the unemployment rolls. My wife is in the same situation. Fortunately, I have a retirement income from the military, but the facts remain the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
CJ--there's prolly a better way to say this with all due respect to those that fought for us.
Oh for goodness sakes, it wasn't meant as a knock to the military. "dumbing down" could have to do w/practically anything that has their standards changed (ie civil service, schooling, etc)

The "PC" police are out and about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
O.K. Coupon, this is getting scary. I agree with you again. It is true that the figures are bogus. For example, I moved here as an educator. When I was actually ready to go back to work after getting moved in, teaching positions were cut. I didn't apply for unemployment as I moved here from Florida where I had a job. Yet, I am unemployed and not counted on the unemployment rolls. My wife is in the same situation. Fortunately, I have a retirement income from the military, but the facts remain the same.
Well its the truth. People say "90% of people are employed" which is bull****...YES a majority of people are employed, it just bugs me when I hear this phrase because people who utter it don't know what their talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,457,827 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For years I always heard the military was dumbing down it standards (just like civil service jobs). Now they are increasing them?

I'm assuming there's more demand (like you say) and they can become picky again?
If I recall - as little as 3-4 years ago, the Army (and maybe other branches) was having problems recruiting enough people and they were offering up signing bonuses and other incentives to get people to enlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If I recall - as little as 3-4 years ago, the Army (and maybe other branches) was having problems recruiting enough people and they were offering up signing bonuses and other incentives to get people to enlist.
Indeed. Soldiers were being blown apart in Iraq because they were not adequately supplied and there was no plan after Saddam had been conquered. Most of that carnage is over now.

Now we have close to 20% of the country not working and this percentage hits military age people harder so this again as become an attractive option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Well its the truth. People say "90% of people are employed" which is bull****...YES a majority of people are employed, it just bugs me when I hear this phrase because people who utter it don't know what their talking about.

So what would you like to hear?? I already offered you. . .pick any num ber you want and tell me a way for ppl. to get employed. I don't have time to sit here picking my nose and reading all the numbers you know to be fact.

Let's face it, you are a person that looks a the dark side of things, just like so many people today without a clue as to how to bail themselves out of this dung heap of problems we have.You enable this kind of thinking.

As far as ""people who utter it don't know what their talking about"...well my friend what have you done lately to improve your lot in life or anybody else's life? Tell me.

And if you're more interested in debating, don't bother, at least with me.
Answer the question or go back to your gloomy self existence.

Think positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, it wasn't meant as a knock to the military. "dumbing down" could have to do w/practically anything that has their standards changed (ie civil service, schooling, etc)

The "PC" police are out and about...
Wrong. I am the furthest thing from PC police one can imagine. Parse it anyway you want but I think 5 ppl. that repped me for my response to you would disagree.

BTW --my response was gentle. I didn't dump on you. Now, maybe I shall change my style if that's the way you'd like to play.

You can say anything you want, but be prepared for someone to not agree with your know-it-all attitude. You might not like to hear this CJ, you're just not that smart.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post

Let's face it, you are a person that looks a the dark side of things, just like so many people today without a clue as to how to bail themselves out of this dung heap of problems we have.You enable this kind of thinking.


You got all emotional and mad because I corrected your title thread which was extremely misleading. You were wrong and you didn't like to be corrected. So now instead of debating me w/accuracy to your posts, you predictably call me names (ie darksider) w/o offering a comeback....pathetic.


And BTW its not called doom and gloom or "dark side" or whatever you want to call it, its called reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Reputation: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Wrong. I am the furthest thing from PC police one can imagine. Parse it anyway you want but I think 5 ppl. that repped me for my response to you would disagree.

BTW --my response was gentle. I didn't dump on you. Now, maybe I shall change my style if that's the way you'd like to play.

You can say anything you want, but be prepared for someone to not agree with your know-it-all attitude. You might not like to hear this CJ, you're just not that smart.
Sorry.
I don't care if Jesus repped you to be honest . Just debate the accuracy of the posts (which you still haven't done to the OP) instead of telling me how many rep points you have and you'll be more credible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 AM
 
7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Reputation: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You got all emotional and mad because I corrected your title thread which was extremely misleading. You were wrong and you didn't like to be corrected. So now instead of debating me w/accuracy to your posts, you predictably call me names (ie darksider) w/o offering a comeback....pathetic.


And BTW its not called doom and gloom or "dark side" or whatever you want to call it, its called reality.
Not one bit emotional. "Extremely misleading "thread title is not the point of this discussion no matter how much time you would like to waste. The point is how do some ppl. maintain their jobs, can we learn anything from that, and how does one get a job. Nothing more complicated than that.BTW, perhaps there is no answer to this. It's a shot at thinking about the problem in a different fashion.

I repeat, I am not interested in knowing if the real number is 90%, 80% or 30%. Do you have anything to lend to the subject other than my thread title is misleading? Being anal won't get you very far in this economy.

Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top