Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
No. The "Natural Rate" of unemployment is ~4%. If you wish to know what that means, use Google or take Econ 101.
Interestingly enough. I watched this story the other day about someone visiting a poor village in the 3rd part of the world. The reason that it is interesting is this village was pretty much self sufficient, didn't need to be a part of the world economy, and everyone, 100%, were employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Sometimes, the decision as to who is let go is just a case of misfortune. Someone doesn't like your boss, lays him off, and the rest of his direct reports and his entire organization is eliminated just like that. In my case, four entire departments were eliminated in the local market, only to be replaced by the same and more positions in HQ. To recreate the reports being done locally, consultants are hired since the HQ people don't understand the local product. Total nonsense IMO, certainly not done in the interest of efficiencies or cost cutting, or any of the stories that was disseminated.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,578 times
The company I was previously at did by-the-division, across-the-board cuts on a last-hired, first-fired basis. Not only did this not eliminate high salaries, it got rid of the more energetic, productive people. Really a dumb move all around.

I think most of the still employed just survived these cuts. Those finding things know the right people or have a very specific set of skills AND know how to sell themselves. No one should blame themselves or anyone else for being laid off.

I guess the key to finding anything now is selling yourself and keeping up contacts to the point they'll think of you if something opens. But there's no shame in being unemployed now. And there shouldn't be.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
I believe CMC is the largest employer here and I believe the second is the school system. And altho the school system had some layoffs, a lot of folks were hired back . . .

Of course, the most stable job in the country is a government job. You get folks in on that gravy train and you cannot fire them - it is nearly impossible to get rid of them, even if they are total idiots and slackers.

So I would say - for job stability - healthcare and government jobs and teaching positions (overall). We seem to have a lot of qualified teachers here who have not found jobs, so until the economy gears back up, creating more tax revenue for budgets, perhaps teaching is not as secure as it historically has been.

Used to be engineering was one of the best fields for stability, but heck - even NASA is laying off and shutting down whole divisions . . . and for most engineers, if those construction projects come to a standstill, that means no need for engineers.

There will always be a "core crew" needed in any field, unless the whole industry folds. That is essentially what has occurred w/ the textile and furniture industry in this state. And we forget that along w/ those factory workers, there were large numbers of office personnel as well as engineers and designers in that sector, too, who lost their jobs.

I would add mortuary sciences to that list of degrees that will guarantee a job. And there is a shortage of ministers/priests in most church denominations.

And for the young amongst us . . . there's always the military.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,548 times
Or something in the security field......somewhere there will always be a need for security.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
I just spoke with a relative who decided on military. He wanted to join in October but because of the huge influx in applications right now, because of the economy, he is not able to join until at least April (they told him it may be longer.) He was also told he may not get the field he is applying for because of so many applying.

So, even the military is having some problems in this economy.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have heard they have gotten pretty selective these days. i.e. Don't bother to apply if you don't have a HS diploma or GED and it helps to be in reasonable shape.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
The marines won't accept a GED.....it must be a HS diploma. I don't know about other branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I have heard they have gotten pretty selective these days. i.e. Don't bother to apply if you don't have a HS diploma or GED and it helps to be in reasonable shape.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
For years I always heard the military was dumbing down it standards (just like civil service jobs). Now they are increasing them?

I'm assuming there's more demand (like you say) and they can become picky again?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For years I always heard the military was dumbing down it standards (just like civil service jobs). Now they are increasing them?

I'm assuming there's more demand (like you say) and they can become picky again?
CJ--there's prolly a better way to say this with all due respect to those that fought for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte