U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times

Advertisements

Friend from Jersey will be in town and is staying @ the

Hilton Garden Inn Charlotte Uptown
508 E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Charlotte, NC
United States, 28202

We are meeting Sat, Nov 7 abt 4 PM.

Where to go/eat/what to do?

Thanks!

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM

697 posts, read 1,150,606 times
The comedian Chris Rock famously advised, 'If a friend calls you on the telephone and says they're lost on Martin Luther King Boulevard and they want to know what they should do, the best response is ‘Run!’

Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
Would love serious recommendations as I'm not overly familiar with uptown. I'm pretty sure this is near BoA, the convention center, etc.

I've hit a number of places with my husband for evenings out minus kids but this is my college roommate and she's coming with her mother.

Thanks again.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM

852 posts, read 2,214,573 times
Saralee what sort of evening are you looking for? Dinner, drinks or drinks snacks etc. I would recommend Blue to have a nice dinner and martini.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:28 PM

46 posts, read 207,649 times
McCormick & Schmick's is a good seafood/steak place uptown, bit pricier, may be a good alternative to Ruth Chris which you can eat any where. EpiCentre has a few good places, i personally love Wild Wings Cafe for bar food, there's also a nice Italian restaurant but the name escapes me. Cosmo's has great sushi & tapas, good martinis too, upscale decor but not that pricey. my personal favorite though is Tavern on the Tracks. burgers are amazing, as are their battered chicken strips (great sauces). for an appetizer, you must get the toasted ravioli. for a bar the food selection is tremendous. you'll probably need to take the light rail south to get there though ...

those are just some of my favs, any particular type of food you're looking for? JMO, but Charlotte does not have a great dining scene ...

Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
I have a lot of restaurants I enjoy going to but need to know what type of meal/food and how pricey. I will be glad to make recommendations once I have some parameters and I am sure others will come up w/ some ideas, too.

Did you need recommendations for your friends as far as eating some place during the stay as well as for you all to go out as a group? Or just for an evening out? (Wasn't sure how long they would be here).

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,697,599 times
What about a cocktail or after dinner drink at the new Ritz C?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,066,200 times
I always mention Soho Bistro (chinese). It's really good & they'll validate your parking for Hearst Tower. We went a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been in at least 6 months, the gal walked right up to DH and said, "the usual sweet and sour chicken"? It's not expensive and the service is great. My fav is the tangerine chicken, mmmm. I used to eat there all the time for lunch when I worked in uptown, it's family owned and they are very nice.

Soho Bistro - Chinese Food Takeout, Delivery - Charlotte NC

Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTGoBlue View Post
McCormick & Schmick's is a good seafood/steak place uptown, bit pricier, may be a good alternative to Ruth Chris which you can eat any where. EpiCentre has a few good places, i personally love Wild Wings Cafe for bar food, there's also a nice Italian restaurant but the name escapes me. Cosmo's has great sushi & tapas, good martinis too, upscale decor but not that pricey. my personal favorite though is Tavern on the Tracks. burgers are amazing, as are their battered chicken strips (great sauces). for an appetizer, you must get the toasted ravioli. for a bar the food selection is tremendous. you'll probably need to take the light rail south to get there though ...

those are just some of my favs, any particular type of food you're looking for? JMO, but Charlotte does not have a great dining scene ...
I used to stay at that same Hilton Garden Inn for work all the time before I moved here, and also when we were down here looking at houses. All of the uptown restaurants are close by, as CLTGoBlue stated. And if you ask nicely at the front desk, their shuttle driver will run you uptown and come back and pick you up when you call them.

You've got everything from upscale like Capital Grille and Bentley's to more casual fare like Wild Wings and Brixx. McCormick and Schmick's is pretty good - qulaity food, but not as expensive as Morton's, CG, Ruth Chris (the last of which you should avoid anyways, their food quality has gone way downhill), etc. BTW CLTGoBlue - McCormick and Schmick's is a big chain too - they are pretty much "anywhere" as well.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What about a cocktail or after dinner drink at the new Ritz C?
It is a very nice lounge there (no formal bar, just a lounge area with waitstaff). We stopped in the other week for a drink when we were uptown. The bar upstairs at Chima is a personal favorite as well.

Although, for a cocktail, especially with out of towners, I'd recommend the bar at Bentley's on 27. The view is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte