U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,743,801 times

Advertisements

I got a call today from a friend that is living in a car in Charlotte. Of course I'm completly rattled by this call and would like to help her out a bit.

I recommended that she apply for a section 8 voucher. She told me that the tenant waiting list for the voucher program is "closed and no longer accepting applications"

I know very little about the system. Who qualifies for a voucher? How do they get into the process/system?
Is anybody on board part of a section 8 program and perhaps can answer some of these questions.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,038,379 times
The list is closed to new applicants, period. UNLESS she's willing to go to a shelter. I know that residents of the Salvation Army Women's Shelter (click "services", then "center of hope") may be eligible for a voucher if they complete a set of classes during their stay. The classes are very valuable! They teach the women how to manage their lives better, so this might not happen in the future. I don't know if they accept women with no children, she'd have to call about that.

The Urban Ministry is invaluable for the help they provide homeless people. Unfortunately, the Room in the Inn program doesn't typically start until December.

The wait for a voucher is several years long, so they are not adding any new names at this point to the section 8 list.

She can also contact the United Way by dialing 2-1-1; they might know of other agencies that can help.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,875,532 times
Is she working?
Maybe she could reside in one of those extended hotels until permanent accommodations surface.

Last edited by etacarinae; 10-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,258,484 times
If it's any consolation, I've made a formal complaint against HUD and to the state's Attorney General's office about these issues. There ARE housing options, but they are WAY too exclusionary.

I'd suggest she either contact some family members, or look into a single room rental through something like Craigslist.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:24 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
If she is willing to relocate, I think there are other sections of the country where it is easier to get a Section 8 voucher. Maybe someone can comment on that . . .

Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If she is willing to relocate, I think there are other sections of the country where it is easier to get a Section 8 voucher. Maybe someone can comment on that . . .

Good idea but keep in mind she is a CLT native down on her luck. Would it be easier out-of-state? I don't have a clue and any in-sight would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,179,376 times
That is horrible. I am so sorry. If she is a Charlotte native does she not have some family who can put her up for a while?

Dawn

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
That is horrible. I am so sorry. If she is a Charlotte native does she not have some family who can put her up for a while?

Dawn
Yes, her boyfriend. . .his car and he's living there too.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,038,379 times
She might try calling around to other housing authorities... an acquaintance got a voucher in Belmont, NC last year, shortly after applying, but I don't know what their status is now.

In most counties, you have to reside in that county and continue to reside there to receive help; if you're on the section 8 waiting list, you can't move away and stay on the list, but it might be worth making some phone calls.

The Charlotte Housing Authority also manages income-based properties. Most of these have a waiting list, but some are available to put your name on. You can find lists of those properties here. You also have to look at the details for the property itself, some are for the elderly or disabled only.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Yes, her boyfriend. . .his car and he's living there too.
Why don't they go somewhere that has jobs? Why would they stay here and live in a car unless they are too old or feeble? Getting assistance isn't the only option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte