U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 AM

297 posts, read 1,044,903 times

Advertisements

Who saw this coming . Another project this is of limited use by a very small percentage of the Charlotte public is now going to cost tax payers money. Smart money would have put the center where there is natural white water but as usual we are trying to make Charlotte something it is not. Wait till the maintenance costs kick it the private company will be wanting to unload this in a hurry.

Expected losses at the U.S. National Whitewater Center could leave taxpayers covering about $1 million in operating costs through 2010.

Charlotte and Mecklenburg County leaders learned of the projected losses last month as the center's operators announced they are borrowing $6 million to pay for rising costs in construction and other areas.

The increases have raised concern among city officials.

"Anytime there's a greater chance our money will be accessed, we'll be watching very closely," Assistant City Manager Ron Kimble said. "We'll be asking a lot of questions."

The center, which opened in November, is a private nonprofit organization run by an executive director who answers to a board of directors. It has the world's largest man-made whitewater river, a lodge, conference center and rock-climbing tower about 11 miles west of uptown Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,992,742 times
I just love the way you take articles and “cherry-pick” out bits and pieces. I’ll add these quoetes from the article which you conveniently left out, along with the link to the full article so people could read it for themselves.…

“…Six governments from Mecklenburg and Gaston counties pledged up to $12 million to pay operating costs in case of shortfalls during the center's first seven years.

Charlotte pledged $2 million, not to exceed $285,700 a year. Mecklenburg pledged $7 million, or up to $1 million a year.

The pledges are to be a safety net for the center, which was estimated in 2003 to cost about $21.5 million to build. That figure has increased to $38 million.

If the projections of operating losses pan out, each government would distribute its share to the center after a financial analysis and audit, Kimble said…”

Link to full article: http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/116572.html (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,638,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I just love the way you take articles and “cherry-pick” out bits and pieces. I’ll add these quoetes from the article which you conveniently left out, along with the link to the full article so people could read it for themselves.…

“…Six governments from Mecklenburg and Gaston counties pledged up to $12 million to pay operating costs in case of shortfalls during the center's first seven years.

Charlotte pledged $2 million, not to exceed $285,700 a year. Mecklenburg pledged $7 million, or up to $1 million a year.

The pledges are to be a safety net for the center, which was estimated in 2003 to cost about $21.5 million to build. That figure has increased to $38 million.

If the projections of operating losses pan out, each government would distribute its share to the center after a financial analysis and audit, Kimble said…”

Link to full article: http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/116572.html (broken link)

My hometown newspaper used to do the samething and report it as news.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
My hometown newspaper used to do the samething and report it as news.
Yeah, honestly I can’t really fault Duke too much. The newspaper is trying to sensationalize the issue a bit. It’s not “news” that these municipalities are going to have to “do” what they’d already “committed to doing”.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM

297 posts, read 1,044,903 times
Who is cherry picking. The article that you provided the link to is clearly pointing out the fact that the National White Water Center is going to operate at a loss and the tax payers will have to fund it. Wheter it is 1 million or 7 million from charlotte or Mecklenberg it is still tax payer money. This is one of many projects the tax payers are footing for the profit of a few. If it is a NATIONAL center then let the federal goverment fund it. If it is private which it is the let the center pay for it self or fold. I personally see little value in the project as it is behind schedule for completion. Charlotteneeds to decide what it wants to be a finacial center, sports capital, shopping mecca, light rail utopia or just the cluster it is becoming because as the economy slows around us, which it is, it will come here believe it or not. Then we will have many partially completed projects and a broken infrastructure.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,427,949 times
Isn't it a non-profit? Not unusual for non-profit entities to ask for public funding.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's not unusual.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Who is cherry picking. The article that you provided the link to is clearly pointing out the fact that the National White Water Center is going to operate at a loss and the tax payers will have to fund it. Wheter it is 1 million or 7 million from charlotte or Mecklenberg it is still tax payer money. This is one of many projects the tax payers are footing for the profit of a few. If it is a NATIONAL center then let the federal goverment fund it. If it is private which it is the let the center pay for it self or fold. I personally see little value in the project as it is behind schedule for completion. Charlotteneeds to decide what it wants to be a finacial center, sports capital, shopping mecca, light rail utopia or just the cluster it is becoming because as the economy slows around us, which it is, it will come here believe it or not. Then we will have many partially completed projects and a broken infrastructure.
I sometimes think contractors know charlotte is open wallet because this has been going on for decades the widening of Independence is one and the original charlotte coliseum off Tyvola is another. (remember how they also was a money pit).

I havent been to the whitewater park yet I rather water be a little warmer but I plan on using it soon

Old 05-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
The municipalities referenced committed to fund any shortfalls in the Whitewater Center and now they have to make good on it. They obviously committed that money because they thought the center was a good idea. If you don’t like it, and live in Mecklenburg or Gaston County, your recourse is to vote your representatives out of office; that or move. Take your pick.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM

928 posts, read 3,534,619 times
The center looks like alot of fun, however, i'm athletically challenged.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 PM

536 posts, read 1,541,682 times
Default Stop the Madness!

I'm right there with you Duke. I am tired of private organizations getting handouts/bailed out from the taxpayers. Everybody always says "Vote them out!", bull!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or