Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM

88 posts, read 250,700 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can help me with this question. We have the opportunity to tag along with my DH to NY for work. I thought about doing the drive up from Charlotte to NY and wondered how long the drive would be. We just relocated from Ca and this will be our first east coast road trip. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,083,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana View Post
Hope someone can help me with this question. We have the opportunity to tag along with my DH to NY for work. I thought about doing the drive up from Charlotte to NY and wondered how long the drive would be. We just relocated from Ca and this will be our first east coast road trip. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Where in NY? Are we talking NYC or NY state?

Have you attempted to Mapquest the trip?

SL

Old 05-09-2007, 02:56 PM

462 posts, read 1,843,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana View Post
Depends on Where in NY your coming from and which way you go. When I drive to Charlotte from LI, NY it takes me anywhere from 10-12 hours depending on traffic getting out of NY. If you take 95, it's safe to add on atleast 1.5-2 hours more. I take 440 to 78, to 81 to 77. Not nearly as much traffic as you get on 95 on this route.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:46 PM

75 posts, read 321,211 times
It depends on how often you stop, which route you go and what day and time you leave.

We drove from Brooklyn, New York taking I95 to I85 to I77, left at 9pm on a Friday and drove through the night. We arrived in Pineville at 8am. If you take 95, remember to take into account traffic you may hit at different times of day passing through Baltimore, DC and Richmond.

We once drove I77 to I81 to the PA Turnpike to the NJ Turnpike, left on a Sunday morning (about 9am) and arrived in Brooklyn at 6:30pm. That way is much more scenic, avoids major metro areas, but you still have the construction on the PA Turnpike that slowed us down a bit- and this was on a Sunday.

Bottom line- If you make several stops and hit no real traffic, the conservative estimate is approximately 12 hours. You might do it in less. You might hit awful traffic and take longer. But conservatively, 12 hours.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:31 PM

189 posts, read 580,072 times
It takes me 9.5 to 10 hours to drive from Southbury, CT to Charlotte. That assumes an average speed of 75. I travel 81 to 77. Add some time if you go 95. You should be able to do it in 8.5-9 because I am an hour north of Brooklyn.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:16 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
damn Drew you must be FLYING. I can mmake it to Norwalk Ct in 10 to 10 and a half on 95....

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 AM

88 posts, read 250,700 times
thanks everyone! I am still waiting for my DH to give me the location on where he needs to be for this conference he needs to attend.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,375,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
It takes me 9.5 to 10 hours to drive from Southbury, CT to Charlotte. That assumes an average speed of 75. I travel 81 to 77. Add some time if you go 95. You should be able to do it in 8.5-9 because I am an hour north of Brooklyn.
Drew....are you wearing Depends??? LOL!! I agree, you must be flying.

From Carmel, NY & Breezy Point, NY (that's in Queens) to Mooresville it takes 10.5 to 12 hrs depending on how many times you stop & traffic. We made the trip many times & 10.5 hrs was the fastest time. We've gone both I-77 & I-95 (I-95 can be a nightmare in VA).

Remember...do not speed in VA! The state troopers are everywhere & they will tag you!

BxRosie

Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,083,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Drew....are you wearing Depends??? LOL!! I agree, you must be flying.

Remember...do not speed in VA! The state troopers are everywhere & they will tag you!

BxRosie
I thought the same when I read Drew's comments.

If only someone had warned my DH, a CDL A driver, prior to our move down here. He landed a whopper of a ticket coming through VA! Our saving grace is the trooper decided not to ticket both of us. I was trying to keep up with DH, after we had been on the road for 12+ hours with two kids, eager to at least cross the NC border. I had a full bladder and was exhausted but FH kept pushing me. The trooper "blamed" DH for my speeding since I was behind him, although since driving is not my profession, the hit would have been easier on me.

We spent a lot of money between the ticket, court and attorney fees but hey, it could have been a lot worse.

So remember kids, we're not kidding when we say proceed with absolute care on the drive down, particularly through VA.

I was mortified by the entire ordeal since neither of us had ever received a moving violation before.

You've been warned.

SL

Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM

189 posts, read 580,072 times
I go an average speed of 75 the whole way which I do not think is flying. I do not use 95 either as this will slow you down considerably. I have made 10 trips in the past year and it varies from 9.5-10 hours. I stop twice and usually they are for gas and bathroom brakes (no depends here), but it might shave another few minutes off the travel time haha

I agree about Virginia cops. I usually drive 70 at the highest through Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte