U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 21,760 times

Advertisements

I have a CP Morgan home and absolutely love it! You may want to visit one of their communities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 PM

295 posts, read 972,226 times
I went to that website and they had complaints about every homebuilder. They even had complaints about JW homes.

http://www.hobb.org/index.php?option...ogcategory&id= 7&Itemid=243

Old 05-22-2007, 04:27 AM

28 posts, read 80,768 times
DaveMags- I know that your're still torn between english trails and hamilton lakes.

What area do you work in? I currently live off HW521 in pineville and traffic is absolutely horrendous on 51 by english trails from 4:30-6:45. In fact that was the major reason we chose hamilton lakes. even though I'm working in fort mill/gold hill road, my drive is much closer from steel creek/hamilton lakes than the part of fort mill, english trails is in.

Also, I hear people saying over and over that taxes are cheaper in fort mill compared to charmeck. Am I doing some calculations wrong because I'm finding that is simply not the case.

Sources:
http://www.yorkcountygov.com/assessor/How%20to%20estimate%20Real%20Estate%20Tax.pdf (broken link)

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Tax+Collections/Tax+Rates/Home.htm (broken link)

According to the york county government site property tax is calculated by appraised value x assessment ratio x millage rate
100,000 x .04 x .3633 = $1,453

According to charmeck site property tax is calculated by take the value of your property, divide by 100 and multiply by tax rate (1.2775 combined rate which is broken down to .4586 charlotte + .8189 mecklenburg)
(100,000/100) * 1.2775 = $1,277

however, you have mentioned before that you have a need for better schooling and I don't have to worry about that for several years.

hope this didn't confuse you more. good luck with a decision.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 AM

295 posts, read 972,226 times
I work in Charlotte, but I don't have to travel during peek hours. How are your neighbors in Hamilton Lakes? You do get more sq feet for you money in Hamilton. I just wish they had a better school system. Maybe I will drive to the school and ask a few questions.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 AM

28 posts, read 80,768 times
Any thoughts on the whole property tax piece of it? Am I calculating it right?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM

255 posts, read 801,038 times
If anyone is building a house from KB and signed prior to the price drop on the base prices I have the name of the person to call, NOT the salesrep (they seem to be no help on the matter, go figure they want the commision of the full price lol). PM me for his name and number.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 AM

67 posts, read 46,503 times
I would talk to them, be nice about it and tell them your situation, if they are willing to charge less for it and you have not closed they should be willing to work with you, maybe not lower the price but ask for some free upgardes etc, that doesn't really cost them all that much! I would be surprised if they didn't work with you on something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
Ok check this out, here is a question for you guys.

I am building in Berewick. 2 months into construction with KB Homes.

The base price on my house has dropped 20k! From 197k to 177k. Will I pay 177 or 197 on close??

I am at work so I do not have the preapproval contract in front of me.

I love the home and am happy with everything so far, but why should I have to pay 197 when someone can literally build right beside me the exact same house for 20k less (and the only difference is us being 2-3 months apart in closing)? That does not seem fair..

Will KB refund the difference?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 AM

49 posts, read 160,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
If anyone is building a house from KB and signed prior to the price drop on the base prices I have the name of the person to call, NOT the salesrep (they seem to be no help on the matter, go figure they want the commision of the full price lol). PM me for his name and number.
Hey BigCountry, I actually have some questions for you - PM'ed

Also, I'm pretty sure we're going to be neighbors. I'm building on Seamill Rd in Berewick. I believe you said you were as well. Should be closing around August/September. They've just installed the windows.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 PM

182 posts, read 748,924 times
Default KB-Berewick

Hi everybody-
Well, it was a very long week in Charlotte, but we have seemed to hammer everything out and got what we were looking for.
We orginally contracted on a lot in the Blue ridge collection and I HATED the floor plan (Livingston) The kitchen was way too small and the flow was horrible.
KB suprisingly was accommidating...for a price.
We had to give them addtional earnest money ( I figure this way, they can record a new sale without showing a cancellation) But, with writing a new contract, we were able to get in on the 50% off studio options they offered this weekend.
We went with the Berkley and ended up with a bigger lot at lower premium then we orginally paid and I have the house that I want at about another $30k savings.....we feel we got the better end thought we had to put more money out to start then we had planned.
As far as the plane noise, we noticed it, but the the wind throught the trees and the birds chirping and the boats on the lake, far out way the occasional drone of the airplanes.
We at this point are satisfied with our purchase and so far with KB.
Bottom line, they want to sell houses.
Anything bought now will close the end of Oct thru end of Nov and that is there fiscal year end. They need to report these sales.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:04 AM

255 posts, read 801,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Hey BigCountry, I actually have some questions for you - PM'ed

Also, I'm pretty sure we're going to be neighbors. I'm building on Seamill Rd in Berewick. I believe you said you were as well. Should be closing around August/September. They've just installed the windows.
Awesome! We are building the Richmond there towards the end of where the new construction stops (3 houses up). I think we are looking to close in July. They did cabinets Wed, trim Thursday, and are suppose to be painting today.

I also got my current house sold in Indian Trail (thank goodness!) so THAT is a relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte