U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM

69 posts, read 221,911 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 2 toddlers, and I will be moving in November of this year (2007) to the Charlotte area. We will be renting and need a home or apartment for $900 and under. My husband will be starting as a commercial pilot so I'll often be home alone at night with our 2 kids. I'm not too thrilled about that so a SAFE area in the suburbs is a must. I can handle petty theft (such as stollen bikes, etc. if left on the front lawn all night) but break-ins, rapes, murders, etc. scare me to death! I LOVE big cities (I'm a California girl) but prefer to live in the quite and SAFE suburbs. Where are the best, family friendly neighborhoods, cities, etc. near Charlotte and preferably no more than an hour from the airport? I've found cute rentals in Cornelius, Concord, and Charlotte (the one in Charlotte says it's in Barrington neighborhood...no clue if that is good or bad). Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
You can check out charmeck.org go to Neighborhoods and select "2006 Quality of Life Study". There you will find color coded maps denoting crime stats, demographics, economic factors, unemployment rates, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,066 times
You might want to check out Belmont and Mount Holly, they are smaller areas right outside Charlotte. They are safe for the most part. YOu've always gotta have your street smarts in effect no matter how great your neighborhood is. Don't advertise your home alone or vunerable. Get a home security system and use it, cell phones, etc.

You should be fine and enjoy your time in NC. Since you have two toddlers you might consider a development with amentities that your kids can utilize and possibly meet other mom's.

Good Luck. Ofcourse, everyones definition of safe is different too. If your worried about going to bed and leaving the windows open, don't. If your worried about your stroller being stolen or your garage being robbed, don't leave yourself vunerable.

COngrats on your journey.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Hey thanks! I checked out Charmeck.org and that was super helpful. Do either of you know if Mooresville is a good area? I've researched it a little and it seems like a cute, friendly, and safe town online but how is it really?

Old 05-13-2007, 08:15 PM

163 posts, read 537,551 times
I don't know about Morresville. That said, Ballantyne area (zip code: 28277) is very safe....I am sure you would feel fine about your dh not being around at night if you lived in this area.

Apartments in the area that are nice, and safe..

Atkins Circle
Plantation park

There are others....These are just the two I liked the most (due to the gyms being nicest, compared to the others I looked at) I ended up settling on Atkins Circle.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help and advice! I am TOTALLY impressed with North Carolinans, Carolinians...? Anyway, I'm way impressed with the friendliness of everyone on the Charlotte forum! I've never been to NC but everyone out west has very positive things to say about North Carolina and the people. I'm sure I will love it there! Thanks!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,500,751 times
beckybee...I think Barrington is out in Union County. If that's the one you are referring to...it's very nice. Great community on a great side of town. Make sure you check out Indian Trail in Union Co. as well. In that price range, you may find something bigger out there. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,108,237 times
Mooresville is a great town. Traffic can be a bit of a pain but overall its pretty nice.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,226 times
Hi from Iowa. Our 21 yr old son will be relocating to Mooresville to attend Nascar Tech Institute in mid July. We are coming to visit in mid June to find housing and part time job for him. He will need a very reasonably priced apartment in Mooresville: doesn't need to be fancy at all and smaller is better. Any suggestions on contacting real estate agents to help us when we come down? Would appreciate input.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 PM

113 posts, read 419,653 times
Years ago I rented a one bedroon apartment in Willow Ridge, which is, like, in front of Carolina place Mall, 15 minuted to the airport or less, 485 and 77 intersection is Right There but you can't see or hear it, I hope it's still there, it was, like, $500, rates sure went up since then. On Park Road and 51, almost on the corner. Great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or