U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM

3,151 posts, read 3,132,852 times

Advertisements

Ok..for those of you interested, I met with the company who installed the sprinkler system and did the landscaping and here is what he did. He actually showed me how to do it. He explained that it is not necessary to blow out the line, just drain it so that the water that is in the pipe is not under pressure. So if a little water freezes inside the pipe..no biggie. Made sense. He said that the guys driving around with a compressor are taking advantage of us northerners who really do need to blow out the lines up north. So, I opened a couple of fittings to relieve the pressure and let water drain..shut the water..let the clock run through a cycle..and that was it. I made sure that the above ground pipes were well insulated. They are in a hot box. And that was it. Thanks for all of your input and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 03:11 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,643,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Ok..for those of you interested, I met with the company who installed the sprinkler system and did the landscaping and here is what he did. He actually showed me how to do it. He explained that it is not necessary to blow out the line, just drain it so that the water that is in the pipe is not under pressure. So if a little water freezes inside the pipe..no biggie. Made sense. He said that the guys driving around with a compressor are taking advantage of us northerners who really do need to blow out the lines up north. So, I opened a couple of fittings to relieve the pressure and let water drain..shut the water..let the clock run through a cycle..and that was it. I made sure that the above ground pipes were well insulated. They are in a hot box. And that was it. Thanks for all of your input and opinions.
Cool. I hope that works -- sounds reasonable, if the winter is mild.

I will, of course, disagree with your sprinkler guy's remark about compressor-toters "taking advantage" of people. We say what we're going to do, why we're going to do it, and how much it will cost. Then it's up to the customer to decide if this is a service worth paying our price for. If his way works, great. But the way I described is infinitely more thorough, and greatly reduces the chances - in fact, if done properly, eliminates the chances - of freeze damage. That's not taking advantage. That's offering a better service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfidd View Post
you got me all wrong timm. that thread needed to go and it went down perfectly. that was the name of the game and awesome it was. thanks for partaking in the exchange. i was asking about your biz b/c i need work, got laid off but know a little bit about irrigation and landscaping. is your company hiring?
Sorry honey, I'm tiring of all your off-topic trolling. This was a better effort, but you're still boring me.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Coming into this thread late but...isn't the frost line in CLT lower than the piping for the irrigation? So, no blowing out is necessary only draining? Only thing exposed in system is the above ground piping which can be protected by insulation and a dog house arrangement?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 AM

146 posts, read 414,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Coming into this thread late but...isn't the frost line in CLT lower than the piping for the irrigation? So, no blowing out is necessary only draining? Only thing exposed in system is the above ground piping which can be protected by insulation and a dog house arrangement?
I have 2 areas of concern. The first is the tubing around all the landscaping, the second is the piping under the plastic box (sorry for the lack of technical terms here).
I opened 3 quarter-turn fittings and allowed the water to drain. Left those fittings open until spring.
Should I worry about the landscaping tubing freezing without blowing them out? It seems a bit silly to try to pressurize them because they have a hole at every bush/plant so it seems they are self draining. Maybe I just answered my own question...
Should I cycle the timer through the zones and allow them to drain through the fittings described above as well?
If there is a problem with this system in the spring, DW will have my head!!
thanks.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:
... So if a little water freezes inside the pipe..no biggie. Made sense. ...
I simply don't believe this. Boat engines do not have sealed cooling systems like a car. The water is simply pumped from the lake runs through the engine to cool it and spews out the side. When you shut it off there is some water left in most motors but it is not sealed or under any pressure. Yet when it freezes it will crack a cast iron block. This is why you have to winterize a boat motor in Charlotte. (this is done by flushing anti-freeze through the engine which of course, you don't want to do for your sprinkler system)

If freezing water will do this, I don't think I would level a pipe full of it in the yard.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I simply don't believe this. Boat engines do not have sealed cooling systems like a car. The water is simply pumped from the lake runs through the engine to cool it and spews out the side. When you shut it off there is some water left in most motors but it is not sealed or under any pressure. Yet when it freezes it will crack a cast iron block. This is why you have to winterize a boat motor in Charlotte. (this is done by flushing anti-freeze through the engine which of course, you don't want to do for your sprinkler system)

If freezing water will do this, I don't think I would level a pipe full of it in the yard.
Plastic is a little different than cast iron..2 different materials with different properties. So I don't think you are comparing apples to apples.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
I have 2 areas of concern. The first is the tubing around all the landscaping, the second is the piping under the plastic box (sorry for the lack of technical terms here).
I opened 3 quarter-turn fittings and allowed the water to drain. Left those fittings open until spring.
Should I worry about the landscaping tubing freezing without blowing them out? It seems a bit silly to try to pressurize them because they have a hole at every bush/plant so it seems they are self draining. Maybe I just answered my own question...
Should I cycle the timer through the zones and allow them to drain through the fittings described above as well?
If there is a problem with this system in the spring, DW will have my head!!
thanks.
From what I have heard, it is not necessary to blow out..just relieve pressure. How pipe will burst is the expansion then contraction of frozen water in the line. If the water is drained and some still remains, it will not expand enough to cause any damage to the pipe. As far as the tubing gores, I am assuming you are talking about drip irrigation and it seems to me that the tubing will already be drained due to holes. I would still cycle through the timer.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:
Plastic is a little different than cast iron..2 different materials with different properties. So I don't think you are comparing apples to apples.
Of course it is different did you think I thought sprinker lines were make of cast iron? I've also made the mistake of leaving an ordinary garden hose outside during the winter, that wasn't connected, and to my surprise, it was split. I now make a point of putting away all the hoses before it starts to freeze here.

They are your pipes. I was only trying to explain why IMO, I don't think it is good advice.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Yes..you are absolutely right on all counts.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Of course it is different did you think I thought sprinker lines were make of cast iron? I've also made the mistake of leaving an ordinary garden hose outside during the winter, that wasn't connected, and to my surprise, it was split. I now make a point of putting away all the hoses before it starts to freeze here.

They are your pipes. I was only trying to explain why IMO, I don't think it is good advice.
I understand..and I bring my hoses in too..but again different material than plastic pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte