U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,770,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
I hope nobody gets offended but I think the main purpose of finding a new Church is the MESSAGE, not all the "FLUFF" of coffee etc. Yes good Hymns and Songs are important but that should not be what determines the Church you decide on bringing your family to in my opinion. Yes an excellent children's ministry is important, but if the message isn't wholly Bible based is all a certain Church has to offer worth it, just a question to ask yourselves. It may be wonderful to have a Pastor who plays the guitar but in my opinion a Pastors emphisis shouldn't be on playing the guitar, it should be on spreading the Gospel to the Flock! I guess I may be "old fashioned" in my opinions and I am not trying to ridicule anyone's choice on a Church service but a Pastors job is not playing the guitar, it's feeding the flock. The Message should come first, is CHRIST first or is the "FLUFF" first? Just my opinion, again I am not here to insult or to judge.GOD BLESS!
Every contemporay church in Charlotte I have been to has been very strongly bible based. They do have the "extras" like the music, etc, but if this is what gets people to come to church, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. People have a fear of churches from the way "they used to be" until the set foot in a church like Mecklenburg Community Church, GSUMC, Forest Lawn etc. I really suggest reading "Rethinking the Church" by Pastor Jim White from Meck Amazon.com: Rethinking the Church, rev. and exp.: A Challenge to Creative Redesign in an Age of Transition: Books: James Emery White He gave this book to me when I lived in the University area and attending the church for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,672,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Every contemporay church in Charlotte I have been to has been very strongly bible based. They do have the "extras" like the music, etc, but if this is what gets people to come to church, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. People have a fear of churches from the way "they used to be" until the set foot in a church like Mecklenburg Community Church, GSUMC, Forest Lawn etc. I really suggest reading "Rethinking the Church" by Pastor Jim White from Meck Amazon.com: Rethinking the Church, rev. and exp.: A Challenge to Creative Redesign in an Age of Transition: Books: James Emery White He gave this book to me when I lived in the University area and attending the church for the first time.
I can agree with you here as long as the Gospel is not watered down in efforts not "to offend" people. The Gospel is very offensive indeed, that is why the world turns its back on it. Christ died for our sins and rose from the dead. He is the only way to the Father in heaven and He is coming back one day. There is also a hell, and those who deny Christ will sadly make it home after death. These are truths that some churches are scared to preach; they'd rather serve coffee and sing cume-by-ya. But please note, I did say some, not all seeker friendly/sensitive churches.

Last edited by carolina_guy; 07-19-2007 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 28,013 times
Default Church home

Check out WAREHOUSE 242

www.warehouse242.org

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM

162 posts, read 200,495 times
Default The Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the WORD, and the WORD was with God, and the WORD was God." You can have all the extras you want, but if more emphasis is put on Music then there is a problem. I am not saying this is the case with your Church or any of the other Churches, for I have not attended them. I am just pointing out that a Service should be centered on the Message, not the "FLUFF". As for the book you refer to, I don't know I haven't read it. But I do know God is the same Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow! And as for the comment " people have a fear of Churches the way they used to be ", this doesn't get to the point I was stating. I have no problem with great music at Church service. I do have a problem with people saying "you have to attend so and so church because they have an awesome band, choir etc." These things are great but they are SECONDARY. The Core is the WORD!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 PM

True true noname. But if the music, etc is preaching the WORD and it gets people to attend and hear the WORD, then it is fine (and most contemporary churches are this why). Heck, have you ever been to a predominantly African-American service?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,349,881 times
Try Elevation Church | Weekend Worship Experience, Charlotte NC

It is an awesome Bible based church and believe me, the message is no where near watered down! You can also check out the Pastor's blog: Pastor Steven Furtick

Old 07-21-2007, 02:44 PM

61 posts, read 220,304 times
Hello Everyone,
I watch Trinity Broadcasting Network. For those who have seen TBN, I am looking for a dynamic church like that of Joyce Myers, Jetzen Franklin, Rod Parsley, Oral Roberts, or TD Jakes. In First Ward is there a church similar? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by Iwakuni; 07-21-2007 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-21-2007, 10:50 PM

149 posts, read 585,489 times
I hope to visit a couple of thoose churches when I move up

Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 41,690 times
My family and I are looking for a family oriented Baptist Church in the Mooresville area. Anyone know of a casual dress, smaller church family, good sunday schools and youth groups for the kiddos and overall very welcoming and friendly church in this area? There are so many to choose from but it's hard to pick a new church family online know what I mean? Currently I attend First Christian Church here in Ohio. I have not been baptized yet and neither have my sons or my husband. I have been saved however. My husband hasn't. He lived in Kentucky for awhile before we met and attended a very casual small Baptist Church in the Berea area and he absolutely loved it. Thus far I have been unable to get him to attend church with me in this area. He went twice and didn't like all the people (very large church) or the way they made him feel. Most, I admit, are for lack of a better word, unfriendly with others and keep to themselves. Plus it's an older congregation for the most part. I would just like to find a nice little Christian Church where we can become members and my husband will feel comfortable. He thinks b/c of the church in Berea Kentucky that he will only feel at home in a Baptist Church. He has been to several in our area of Ohio (none Baptist though) and feels like they all look down on him so he is starting to believe that all churches except southern Baptist are this way. Any suggestions?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Try Meck:

Mecklenburg Community Church

Not too big. Younger, friendly people, and they have a satellite service at the theatre off 77.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or