Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:00 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
One thing I do like, however, is looking at pictures of Jimmy Johnson.
Noted and signed. Add Jeff Gordon to that list also please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
My question is will the HOF bring in people outside of race weekends? I know some locals will go but will people take a vacation just for the HOF and not combine it with a race?

I've been the the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto during the off season. The two or three times I had been there the place was packed. I've heard the same about Cooperstown. I imagine that people spend their seasons actually watching the sport and then the off time visiting that sport's hall of fame.

If I lived within a shot of the Hockey Hall I'd be there at least once a month. It's a complete multimedia experience that goes so far beyond just walls of fame and standing next to trophies. If the NASCAR one does this, which it's supposed to do, it should be enormous for the area regardless of when.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 AM

407 posts, read 851,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVP View Post
IMO, tourist revenue and job opportunities are a positive for the city.

Personally, I have no interest in it. I went to my first and only race years ago and left after a fight broke out in the stands next to me. The guy in front of me had a radio smashed over his head and I was hit with flying batteries. Not my kinda thing, thank you.
Sounds like a game between the Browns and Steelers

Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
I personally do not care for NASCAR, just don't see the point of racing basically the same cars in circles for hours on end.

Now, if the sport would return to its roots of racing cars VERY similar to what you could buy at the showrooms, I would find that very interesting. Accords swapping paint with Mustangs, & various Dodge RT models. More like an SCCA event and less staged drama.

I certainly would not say NASCAR is exclusively 'redneck' or 'lower class' today.
Just like the NFL, it enjoys a varied fan base across all economic levels.
When I find myself in rural NJ/NY/PA/MA it never fails that when I mention Charlotte someone's face will just light just thinking it's the center of NASCAR's universe and everyone walks around in driving suits. I just do not see my city like that, but that is fine.
I have been to one race at Charlotte Motor Speedway (oops, Lowes Motor Speedway) in 38 years, and that was an IRL event (if I recall correctly).

Now all that being said the NASCAR HOF was another pet project of the uptown crowd. I sure hope it makes money, the white water center is doing so well...

Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I've been the the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto during the off season. The two or three times I had been there the place was packed. I've heard the same about Cooperstown. I imagine that people spend their seasons actually watching the sport and then the off time visiting that sport's hall of fame.

If I lived within a shot of the Hockey Hall I'd be there at least once a month. It's a complete multimedia experience that goes so far beyond just walls of fame and standing next to trophies. If the NASCAR one does this, which it's supposed to do, it should be enormous for the area regardless of when.

I don't go to NASCAR races and probably never will, but that isn't important as millions of others do. Nevertheless, when I think of the new museums in downtown, I think of field trips from schools all over North and South Carolina. Even senior classes could combine Carowinds and the museums for overnight trips as my son did in Charleston when they came up for Carowinds. Charlotte hotels do really well. Much of the museum business will be from those staying in the hotels regardless of whether they are here for conventions or on vacation. There is quite a history connected with NASCAR roots starting with the moonshine runners in the hills that were so instrumental to today's success of the sport. Many remember the old Robert Mitchum movies about "Thunder in Carolina" and other such movies. They add to the glamour and interest in visiting. I personally see no exctiement of watching cars race around a track a couple hundred times, nevertheless, that is me and I don't really matter that much in the scheme of things. But, I will definately go to the museum and likely bring my visitors in the future. I agree wit you that it will be a enormous addition.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
I am from the Northeast and remember being STUNNED back in the day when learning of Nascar's popularity. But... in recent years, Nascar is popping up on Sportscenter... racers are in commercials, etc.

Nascar is changing.... becoming more mainstream. I think it days of being perceived as "redneck" are coming to a close. (Not sure that is a good thing BTW).
Either that or the truth is out: Rednecks are everywhere Yep, NASCAR is everywhere, even in the northeast. Before you know it, there will probably be an openly gay driver.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Noted and signed. Add Jeff Gordon to that list also please

Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
I think it's great that the HOF is in Charlotte, it makes sense. I think anyone visiting that would tour a race shop would add the hall of fame to the list.

YouTube - Nascar Fights

Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,001 times
Personally, I'm from the Northeast and I just don't get NASCAR, couldn't they have spent the money on a park or improving the roads or something?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Personally, I'm from the Northeast and I just don't get NASCAR, couldn't they have spent the money on a park or improving the roads or something?

Where you're from is completely irrelevant. A major hall of fame will do nothing but bring in huge revenue streams. If Charlotte's smart they can take some of the revenue stream and do just what you're suggesting with money left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte