Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Personally, I'm from the Northeast and I just don't get NASCAR, couldn't they have spent the money on a park or improving the roads or something?
NASCAR has resulted in improved brakes, improved engines, improved safety features, etc. What other sport has added so much to improving our daily lives. I'm Southern and I get it.

Watching NASCAR can also be study of human nature. Some drivers would rather lose than act like a jerk, but others have little or no honor at all. There is a little bit more going on out there than cars going around in a circle.

I see NASCAR as a plus and evidently other cities do too since they have paid big bucks to gain access to the sport.

Last edited by NCN; 10-30-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 PM

306 posts, read 319,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
NASCAR has resulted in improved brakes, improved engines, improved safety features, etc. What other sport has added so much to improving our daily lives. I'm Southern and I get it.

Watching NASCAR can also be study of human nature. Some drivers would rather lose than act like a jerk, but others have little or no honor at all. There is a little bit more going on out there than cars going around in a circle.

I see NASCAR as a plus and evidently other cities do too since they have paid big bucks to gain access to the sport.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Nascar is not a sport.

I know that your argument will be that it is advertised on ESPN. Well, poker, WWE wrestling pay per views, and pool show up on Sportscenter too. IMO, none of those are sports.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
NASCAR has resulted in improved brakes, improved engines, improved safety features, etc.....
This one is funny. While I don't doubt that NASCAR has some benefits there are other racing franchises that have done far far more for advancing automobile technology than NASCAR has ever done or will think about doing. It's stock car racing, not F1 or rally racing where much of the automotive technology comes from.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 AM

407 posts, read 851,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Also, a tall building is in the heart of the Charlotte skyline with the Nascar symbol on the top right, which will generate job opportunities. Is this a positive or negative for the city?
I am a transplant but I don't want to see a tall building downtown/uptown with a huge Starbucks logo on top. I can make my own coffee. Unfortunately I can't go 190 mph.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
I am a transplant but I don't want to see a tall building downtown/uptown with a huge Starbucks logo on top. I can make my own coffee. Unfortunately I can't go 190 mph.

This is a hall of fame, not a coffee building. Plus, I don't think many would object to building a tall structure and slapping a Starbucks logo on it if it brought jobs and revenue into the area.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Nascar is not a sport.

I know that your argument will be that it is advertised on ESPN. Well, poker, WWE wrestling pay per views, and pool show up on Sportscenter too. IMO, none of those are sports.
1. You are correct in saying that NASCAR is not a sport. NASCAR is an organization.

2. Auto racing is a sport. It is a highly competitive sport.

Definition of 'sport' in the American Heritage dictionary: "An active passtime; diversion; recreation".

3. It is O.K. to "hate to tell" because it is a sport

Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 AM

306 posts, read 319,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
1. You are correct in saying that NASCAR is not a sport. NASCAR is an organization.

2. Auto racing is a sport. It is a highly competitive sport.

Definition of 'sport' in the American Heritage dictionary: "An active passtime; diversion; recreation".

3. It is O.K. to "hate to tell" because it is a sport
Sorry, I don't think that auto racing or golf is either. But, that is just my opinion.

Last edited by UrbanLover; 10-31-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 AM

515 posts, read 1,037,001 times
Is the hall of fame for the cars themselves or the guys who drive them around in circles?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Where you're from is completely irrelevant. A major hall of fame will do nothing but bring in huge revenue streams. If Charlotte's smart they can take some of the revenue stream and do just what you're suggesting with money left over.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Is the hall of fame for the cars themselves or the guys who drive them around in circles?
What's in it? -Interactive Map

Website for the Nascar Hall of Fame

Quote:
Opening May 11, 2010 in Uptown Charlotte, the 150,000-square-foot NASCAR Hall of Fame is an interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of NASCAR. The high-tech venue, designed to educate and entertain race fans and non-fans alike, includes artifacts, interactive exhibits, 275-person state-of-the-art theater, Hall of Honor, Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, Sports Avenue retail outlet and NASCAR Media Group-operated broadcast studio.

The five-acre site also includes a privately developed 19-story office tower and 102,000-square-foot expansion to the Charlotte Convention Center, highlighted by a 40,000 square-foot ballroom. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is owned by the City of Charlotte, licensed by NASCAR and operated by the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Charlotte beat out Kansas City, Richmond VA, Atlanta and Daytona Beach for the NASCAR Hall of Fame ... competition was fierce
between the cities. I think most of the people in the Queen City supported the bid for the Hall of Fame. People may come and people
may go but racing has been here for a long time and generates revenue.
A simple and perfect summary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte