Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM

306 posts, read 319,790 times

Advertisements

Charlotte has recently received the Nascar Hall of Fame, which will generate tourist revenue. Also, a tall building is in the heart of the Charlotte skyline with the Nascar symbol on the top right, which will generate job opportunities. Is this a positive or negative for the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Charlotte has recently received the Nascar Hall of Fame, which will generate tourist revenue. Also, a tall building is in the heart of the Charlotte skyline with the Nascar symbol on the top right, which will generate job opportunities. Is this a positive or negative for the city?
It could only be positive I don't see any way it could be negative

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM

124 posts, read 558,103 times
Not from Charlotte but I am from NC.
I would imagine for the 10% that are natives of Charlotte,it is viewed as a positive.The 90% that are liberal progressive transplants,LOL, it's viewed as an embarrassment.

I'm with the natives and I'm stickin with the pig.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
It could only be positive I don't see any way it could be negative
Nascar?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjive View Post
The 90% that are liberal progressive transplants,LOL, it's viewed as an embarrassment.
I thought southerners shunned against stereotyping? (which you grossly are doing).

Many transplants I know are socially and fiscally conservative.

Anyhoo, I think it will be a good thing for Charlotte in the long run. Disclaimer: I've been to the track and tried to watch on TV, but I'm not a fan at all of NASCAR. However This area has a long history w/the sport and I challenge someone to tell me what large city would've been a better choice...

Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
UrbanLover are you familiar with the history of NASCAR?

I'm not a NASCAR fan but I don't see any negatives either. The sport attracts a lot people from all across the country. The races = $$$; Despite the stereotype some people may have about NASCAR fans. Tickets and travel expenses require money just like attending an NBA or NFL game. They are not cheap and some people are willing to pay a whole lot for a good race experience.

The Charlotte area is home to many teams. Approximately 82 percent of teams are based within 500 miles of the Charlotte area. Moorseville alone has 60 something teams and NASCAR based businesses.

Carowinds' new roller coaster was inspired by the late Dale Earnhardt. THE INTIMIDATOR™ RACES INTO THE CAROLINAS IN SPRING 2010

Last edited by NCgirl; 10-29-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM

124 posts, read 558,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I thought southerners shunned against stereotyping? (which you grossly are doing).

Many transplants I know are socially and fiscally conservative.

Anyhoo, I think it will be a good thing for Charlotte in the long run. Disclaimer: I've been to the track and tried to watch on TV, but I'm not a fan at all of NASCAR. However This area has a long history w/the sport and I challenge someone to tell me what large city would've been a better choice...

Perception is not always reality but it can come mighty close.
EX. NC is now a member of the blue states of America.
I somehow doubt the natives were swept up in all the "hope and change".

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Quote:
I somehow doubt the natives were swept up in all the "hope and change".
What does that have to with NASCAR???

Quote:
Perception is not always reality
A. There are liberal, progressive natives
B. Most are not embarrassed by NASCAR

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
UrbanLover are you familiar with the history of NASCAR?

I'm not a NASCAR fan but I don't see any negatives either. The sport attracts a lot people from all across the country. The races = $$$; Despite the stereotype some people may have about NASCAR fans. Tickets and travel expenses require money just like attending an NBA or NFL game. They are not cheap and some people are willing to pay a whole lot for a good race experience.

The Charlotte area is home to many teams. Approximately 82 percent of teams are based within 500 miles of the Charlotte area. Moorseville alone has 60 something teams and NASCAR based businesses.

Carowinds' new roller coaster was inspired by the late Dale Earnhardt. THE INTIMIDATORâ„¢ RACES INTO THE CAROLINAS IN SPRING 2010
No, I am not familiar with Nascar history. Recently, I visited Charlotte and saw the nascar building and then my friend told me the Nascar HOF was there too. Therefore, I was wondering how Charlotte citizens feel about those two subjects.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Charlotte beat out Kansas City, Richmond VA, Atlanta and Daytona Beach for the NASCAR Hall of Fame ... competition was fierce
between the cities. I think most of the people in the Queen City supported the bid for the Hall of Fame. People may come and people
may go but racing has been here for a long time and generates revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte