U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,072,286 times

Advertisements

The 2006-2007 Wake County Public School's Student/Parent Handbook can be found here:

http://www.wcpss.net/parent-handbooks/06-07-parent-handbook-eng.pdf (broken link)

Section 6410.1 describes the current appropriate dress requirement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2006, 03:37 PM

336 posts, read 466,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc
I have to politely disagree. I read the dress code/uniform policy on the Weddington Middle School website and was shocked. Especially by this:

Bottoms:

cannot sag or be baggy in the seat

Ok so what if your kid has a flat butt Are they going to feel up your kid to make sure their pants aren't too baggy?
They made this rule because of kids wearing their pants below their underwear, falling off, and in a 40 inch waist when they really have a 30 inch waist. If pants are worn like they are meant to be, I am sure this will not be an issue..... even if your kid has a flat butt.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,647,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
The 2006-2007 Wake County Public School's Student/Parent Handbook can be found here:

http://www.wcpss.net/parent-handbooks/06-07-parent-handbook-eng.pdf (broken link)

I see where it says no sagging pants, but I don't see any references to how the fit should be in the "seat" area That is the part that bothers me about the Weddington Middle School rules. Sounds like they want the clothes to fit their butt perfectly and as we all know kids come in all body types and shapes.....some people just have flat butts

Old 08-05-2006, 04:02 PM

285 posts, read 1,053,929 times
Quote:
Uh oh! This definitely makes me reconsider Weddington schools. Are ALL Union County and Iredell County schools like this, or only some? What about Mooresville Schools?
Not all Union County schools have uniforms. Most, if not all, have dress codes.
The principal at Weddington Middle School takes great pains to change the rules yearly if not twice a year to keep the parents and students guessing.
I support uniforms, they can be a positive thing.
I do not support teachers sticking hands down pants to tuck in shirts, pulling up sweatshirts to see if tee shirts are tucked in.....I don't support this year's new rule that outerwear eg winter coats worn at recess must be of school uniform color. This is just overboard, but it is the style of the principal.
I think the district should set policy, not allow principals to change the rules all the time.
The principal approved a fitted capped sleeve shirt for the girls to order this year, but the rule is that it must be ordered two sizes two large. Why even have a borderline shirt be allowed if you have to have a rule that it must be two sizes too big?

Old 08-05-2006, 04:13 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,771 posts, read 7,234,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Not all Union County schools have uniforms. Most, if not all, have dress codes.
The principal at Weddington Middle School takes great pains to change the rules yearly if not twice a year to keep the parents and students guessing.
I support uniforms, they can be a positive thing.
I do not support teachers sticking hands down pants to tuck in shirts, pulling up sweatshirts to see if tee shirts are tucked in.....I don't support this year's new rule that outerwear eg winter coats worn at recess must be of school uniform color. This is just overboard, but it is the style of the principal.
I think the district should set policy, not allow principals to change the rules all the time.
The principal approved a fitted capped sleeve shirt for the girls to order this year, but the rule is that it must be ordered two sizes two large. Why even have a borderline shirt be allowed if you have to have a rule that it must be two sizes too big?
Hi Peg, do you have a link to this policy and do you know what types are restrictions there are for elementary schools.

Thank You

p.s.-> I also PMed you, please take a look when you get a chance...

Old 08-05-2006, 04:24 PM

Miker,
The Weddington Middle School Dress Code can be viewed at:
http://wdms.ucps.k12.nc.us/dresscode.htm (broken link)

You can go to the District site www.ucps.k12.nc.us, and click on each school to see the different policies school by school.
My daughter will be at Weddington for the first half of the year, with the Nazi like rules, then we switch to Marvin Ridge, which will not have a uniform.
Crazy. I think the District should set the rules, not have each principal make them up as they desire. But this District is like that, the rules are vague and change all the time.
And you have to worry about the punishments too. They vary school by school, based on the style of the principal. Check out the District's policy on the allowed punishments. You may be surprised to see what is still allowed here.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:25 PM

You won't see the rule about the new cap sleeve shirt in writing. That would be made up rule number one of 2006. More to come.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:47 PM

741 posts, read 3,409,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b

I was looking at the handbook before and passed right over it. Now, I found the section, I find it to be basically the same as here in NJ. Not a problem at all. Now that I'm thinking about it a nice school uniform wouldn't be bad at all. It sure would make my morning easier. Weddington seems to be stricter then any Catholic Nun I ever came across. And I came across some very mean and intimidating ones. Amen.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:04 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,673,514 times
Quote:
I see where it says no sagging pants, but I don't see any references to how the fit should be in the "seat" area That is the part that bothers me about the Weddington Middle School rules. Sounds like they want the clothes to fit their butt perfectly and as we all know kids come in all body types and shapes.....some people just have flat butts
The pants dragging is a prison look, favored by gang bangers, at least in NY. I think that is a rational rule. The enforcement re: tucking sure seems draconian.
In Wake they were all in shorts this week, it was so hot, but everyone looked neat & pulled together.
Jones Dairy priincipal is bright & kind, my son's teacher has 25 years experience & it shows, the class is crowded (to me) with 29 kids but she is really on the ball, lots of info & feedback in the folder every night. I am thrilled with that school.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:54 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,506 times
Just a little FYI, I know it's TX not NC but interesting.

Arlington Texas new dress code for girls.

Texas School District Bans Cleavage

The new dress code reads, in part, “The display of cleavage is unacceptable. Low cut blouses, tops, sweaters, etc. with plunging necklines are not allowed."

“It's gotten bad enough that, unfortunately, our young males are looking at more than their English book, their speech book, their science book,” “And it's kind of nice to have something left to the imagination.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte