U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:32 AM

7 posts, read 57,811 times

Advertisements

Any advice for the best route from Tampa, FL to Charlotte, NC? We are leaving tonight (7/20) -- I ordered Rand McNally maps last week and of course, they have not arrived yet. We're staying overnight half way - any thoughts on what area would be considered half way!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,228,937 times
Point it north bound and pull in before it gets dark, consider that half way. Of course you could go to mapquest and get a piont to point map.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I have gone to MapQuest and printed out a map; unfortunately I don't trust them due to past experience. The key to my posting is that someone out there who has done this trip before might have a little insight. I also realize it's North.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte or Bust!
Thanks for the info. I have gone to MapQuest and printed out a map; unfortunately I don't trust them due to past experience. The key to my posting is that someone out there who has done this trip before might have a little insight. I also realize it's North.
I was kidding; I know you know its north. There are several map sites that you can use do a google search. If you have AAA you can get maps and they will do a trip ticket for you. If you don't have AAA maybe you know someone who does that can get one for you. Also if you have AAA there are several hotels and restraints that give discounts for AAA members. I use it all the time for those kinds of perks and the savings more than make up for the membership costs.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:47 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default Directions

Without looking at a map, I would think that from Tampa you should take I-75 to Atlanta, get on a couple of bypasses that go on the east side of Atlanta (I believe I-475? and then I-285), get on I-85 on the northeast side of Atlanta, and that will take you straight to Charlotte.

Half-way would probably be around Macon, GA.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM

240 posts, read 934,994 times
I drove from Orlando about a week ago. I took I-4 to 95 through Jacksonville. I followed 95 until I-26 W via EXIT 86B toward COLUMBIA. 52.6 miles, then I-77 N via EXIT 116 toward CHARLOTTE

It was an easy drive. My dog, CD's, a lot of bad signing. I stopped once for gas in South Carolina. Are you the only person driving? If it's two people you could switch and make the trip in one day. If you need to stop, I suggest Savanah, Ga. There are no other areas that had any major towns that I can remember. All highway until you reach Charlotte.

That was my route. Good Luck.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 AM

Thanks for all your advices! There are 2 of us and we will be trying to drive half way but we aren't getting of here until 7pm....I will look at Macon or Savannah as a stopping point! You all have been very helpful. (p.s. with any luck, my maps I ordered of Charlotte & the SouthEast will be in the ole mailbox when I get home!) This is a real spontaneous trip so not a lot of planning has gone into. Found a place for the dog and the kids for the weekend so we are taking off to see the area with hopes of finding some places we would like to relocate to.

Take care.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,774,809 times
Default I-4

I forgot that I-4 goes to Tampa. I've traveled from Greensboro to Orlando using the directions that Washingtonian gave you (I-4 to I-95 to I-26 to I-77). It's an easy drive, although boring at times - but I guess it's that way on almost any interstate excursion.

You could run a comparison on Mapquest, Google, etc and see if one is shorter than the other distance-wise. Since both are interstate drives, the driving speeds would be similar, so you should focus on total miles.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte or Bust!
Thanks for all your advices! There are 2 of us and we will be trying to drive half way but we aren't getting of here until 7pm....I will look at Macon or Savannah as a stopping point! You all have been very helpful. (p.s. with any luck, my maps I ordered of Charlotte & the SouthEast will be in the ole mailbox when I get home!) This is a real spontaneous trip so not a lot of planning has gone into. Found a place for the dog and the kids for the weekend so we are taking off to see the area with hopes of finding some places we would like to relocate to.

Take care.
Since itís a spontaneous thing if you donít have to be anywhere anytime, then Savanna, or Charlston, SC would be on the route for me. Then the next morning go through Hilton Head, Myrtly Beach, but to do all that you really need a map. I hope you get your maps today good luck on your trip.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:31 PM

976 posts, read 3,480,794 times
This is my opinion. I would just go across Florida. Get on I-95 north till you get to I-26 in South Carolina. Then when you get to Columbia get on I-77 north and from Columbia to Charlotte is about 1 hour to 2 depending on traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte