Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 AM

616 posts, read 1,743,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Can shrubs live in their plastic container over the winter, or will they die?

I purchased a few from a place going out of business. I would like to save them until I get my fence up around Jan/Feb, so that I can plant them near the fence. But, if they won't survive, I'll either find another place to plant them or give them to a neighbor.
We did this - we had some of that low flexible wire fencing and put it around the pots and then filled it with leaves so they were well insulated. Kept them out of wind - we had enough rain so we didn't have to water them. They were happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM

52 posts, read 145,929 times
Default Nelly Stevens and Evergreens

Is right now a good time to plant trees like Nelly Stevens holly trees or evergreens? We really need a nice privacy barrier behind our house, and I'm not too crazy about privacy fences.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdennis08 View Post
Is right now a good time to plant trees like Nelly Stevens holly trees or evergreens? We really need a nice privacy barrier behind our house, and I'm not too crazy about privacy fences.
As long as your ground is not frozen from our long cold spell & the clay is soft, but not wet, plant away.

Remember to dig your holes much bigger than the rootballs & mix a little compost in the bottom. It will feed the plants & the roots will carry some into the clay. It's a good thing.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM

52 posts, read 145,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As long as your ground is not frozen from our long cold spell & the clay is soft, but not wet, plant away.

Remember to dig your holes much bigger than the rootballs & mix a little compost in the bottom. It will feed the plants & the roots will carry some into the clay. It's a good thing.

Thanks for the advice, Southbound_295... I can hardly wait to start planting!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdennis08 View Post
Thanks for the advice, Southbound_295... I can hardly wait to start planting!
Have fun!

When I plant shrubs, I dig the hole & also mix a little compost into the bottom of the hole, then fill the hole with water & let it drain. Usually, I toss in some compost then stab it with the shovel. It's a slow process with clay.

Some people use topsoil, but I have always used compost.

When you're done, dump some water on top too. It settles the ground some & lessens the shock to the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte