U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:08 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Do you really want speed humps impeding fire trucks and ambulances?
in our case it appears we did. when you have small children and pets it isn't hard to make the choice as you watch car after car doing 50 down a residential street (speed limit 25).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 AM

755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
in our case it appears we did. when you have small children and pets it isn't hard to make the choice as you watch car after car doing 50 down a residential street (speed limit 25).
Ah, yes. More government oppression "for the children."

Did you have a radar gun on these motorists? Are you aware that you cannot estimate someone's speed when you are standing still? Are you also aware that children are only legally allowed in the street if they are riding a bicycle? (nasty neighbor woman sent cops to our houses to inform us of this little tidbit.)

Old 11-01-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Ah, yes. More government oppression "for the children."

Did you have a radar gun on these motorists? Are you aware that you cannot estimate someone's speed when you are standing still? Are you also aware that children are only legally allowed in the street if they are riding a bicycle? (nasty neighbor woman sent cops to our houses to inform us of this little tidbit.)
ha! you're funny lady.

"Government oppression"! what a riot. Is my three year old supposed to fly when she needs to cross the street? And finally... what law prohibits me from estimating speed standing still? Should I be on my bike to estimate speed? thanks for the morning LOL.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 AM

198 posts, read 565,242 times
Our neighborhood had speeding issues, so we petitioned the city about it. We wanted a speed bump, but apparently speed bumps are ridiculously expensive. This is what we were told -- not sure if it's 100% true -- that speed bumps cost like $20,000 each and the city would not put one in unless there was a recognized need (probably the studies, etc., mentioned by other posters).

So we settled for more stop signs, which were put in by the city within a few months.

Now the residents of an older, adjacent neighborhood that shares that main road with us are petitioning to have the city remove the sign. Sigh.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
ha! you're funny lady.

"Government oppression"! what a riot. Is my three year old supposed to fly when she needs to cross the street? And finally... what law prohibits me from estimating speed standing still? Should I be on my bike to estimate speed? thanks for the morning LOL.
If your three year old needs to cross the street, he or she should be with an adult! If you want to irresponsibly leave a toddler unsupervised you can't visit that on the rest of the community.

And what law? The law of physics.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 AM

7,181 posts, read 11,199,119 times
ECM08 - Wow, $20K for a speed hump? That seems high. I thought they were about $5K each with all of the signs and markings up in my old neighborhood.

NativeSon - I appreciate your opinion and I too have concerns for the safety of the kids. But IMHO, there are other ways to control traffic w/o the humps. I'm glad you're getting the results you seek though.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Everyone with half a brain knows toddlers need adults. But one day she will be 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 and won't need an adult, but evidently she WILL need a bike.

And do tell, exactly which law of physics prevents me from estimating speed while "standing still"? You're talking out of your ass. Again.
Hey, that bike thing is the law. I didn't come up with it.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
ECM08 - Wow, $20K for a speed hump? That seems high. I thought they were about $5K each with all of the signs and markings up in my old neighborhood.

NativeSon - I appreciate your opinion and I too have concerns for the safety of the kids. But IMHO, there are other ways to control traffic w/o the humps. I'm glad you're getting the results you seek though.
There are other ways... but they get expensive if you're talking retro-fitting.

The best way is smart design. Narrow, winding, tree-lined streets are the best. See any newer neighborhood in Davidson for some real-life design-side controls that look great and are very effective.

Unfortunately, for those of us in older communities the cost-effective solutions are limited to stop signs and speed bumps.... hopefully you'll remember that before you honk at your next speed bump. We just want our neighborhood to be as safe as we can, we're not looking to create nuisances and noise problems. To us, they speeding cars are a nuisance.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,057,598 times
[quote=Stripes17;11432481]I hope your HOA is paying attention to detail when putting these nuisances into your neighborhood, or you could be wasting alot of money. If you put them in without city approval, they'll probably be removed or at least contested by the city. QUOTE]

I can assure you, we're doing everything by the book

I guess the bigger issue from a 20,000 ft level is why people feel the need to drive over the posted speed limit in a residential community and how do we get people to recognize the fact that there are children in the area and hang up their damn cell phones and drive at a reasonable speed so that if a child does dart in front of them that they can stop safely.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,470,396 times
I lived in a Charlotte neighborhood for a while where the residents requested speed bumps - the city first wanted to use other means, (more warning and speed limit signs, reflective markers, etc.) When the residents insisted on speed bumps even after this - the city required a traffic measurement be done. 1000 cars within some specified amount of time was the threshold to get the speed bumps.

When the count was completed, it was 990 cars. (Including some neighbors driving over the counter repeatedly, trying to skew the results )

Not everybody was in agreement for the bumps anyway. Eventually the petitioners moved away and the issue died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte