U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 PM

109 posts, read 305,739 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We live in Shannamara and I am most concerned with speeding. For the year we've lived here, I've yelled at passing speeding cars - which has gotten me nothing but a universal hand signal .

I've emailed the HOA and police numerous times. They've been giving out tickets, but I think speed humps are the only option.

Tonight (on Halloween, none the less, when people usually drive slow), one of our neighbors was doing 53 in a 25 and killed someone's Yorkie. I'm afraid a child is next.

Has anyone successfully petitioned their HOA/town to have speed humps installed? Any helpful information you can share would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,736,187 times
Many cities typically have a process for this. I'm not sure if Stallings even has a true Public Works or Engineering department, but start there if there is one. If it's a state road, you'll have to deal with NCDOT which may be a royal pain. In any case, the road will have to meet certain criteria as they won't just put a speed hump (correction...shouldn't) anywhere without specific warrants. Things like number of vehicles per day, number of traffic tickets, any wrecks or (God forbid) deaths.

I will say though that in my relatively involved experience with speed humps, it is not uncommon for the humps to not really solve anything...and in some cases, they make the residents angry that they ever got them put in. Things like damaged vehicles even to those doing the speed limit, constant brake squeeling noise followed by a revving enginer (between humps), and then the occassional baja off road wannabe in a truck trying to see how fast they can go over the humps.

Long story short, speed humps are not always the answer--they're just the easy way out for a City to install and be done with it. Neither are stop signs which some Cities can get carried away with. Some of the best traffic calming solutions are creative landscaping that just ever so slightly infringes on the road width, effectively making the driver think the road is too skinny to drive through...works like a charm. Small skinny islands in the middle of the road with reflectors or landscaping also do the trick, again making the road look very difficult to navigate, but in reality there is plenty of room to get by.

If it were me, I'd ask for some sort of speed control...not just speed humps. If the City is lucky enough to have a progressive and creative engineer on staff, they'll try these other methods and not only slow cars down effectively, but maybe even make the streets look a little nicer too.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
That was a really good reply! I am not a fan of the speed bump / hump in a subdivision. Using other techniques, as mentioned, would be more appealing to many. In fact, some towns forego using speed bumps/humps due to the damage they cause to fire trucks and other municipally owned heavy vehicles.

In my last home, we lived in a small two street neighborhood with 47 houses. It was a really small, quaint town. One busybody didn't like how some people drove through our 'hood. So, she complained to the town and eventually won the installation of speed humps (and all of the gaudy signs & markings that go along with them). She was the only one that was happy with her accomplishment. Thanks for killing the aesthetics of the area!

So, now I'm actually one of those people that think it's a hoot when people blow their car horns as they pass over speed humps in the neighborhood (in protest over having the speed bumps there).

Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,364 times
Our neighborhood in Matthews hires a security company and pays for periodic UC Sheriff which I think is good option. We had looked at speed bumps but neighborhood would have to take over the streets which is not normally a good option. I saw 2 UC Sheriffs patroling my street tonight (Halloween) and they did pull over a couple speeders. It seems so hard for people to drive the speed limit.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,667,962 times
Speed bumps will lower the property values IMO because the perception (obv) is that the street is full of speeders....

I think there are better ways of controlling speeding in a subdivision.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,065,615 times
We've started the process in my neighborhood through the HOA. In the City of Charlotte you have to first get the speed limit lowered or established. The HOA sends out a letter to the residents on the street saying that they want to set the limit at 25 MPH or something like that and gives them 30 days to respond. Once that time period os up, then you go to the city who TAKES FOREVER to put up the speed limit signs. Then, if I'm not mistaken you can either have a private company put in the bumps or you canwait for the city who will take a long time to respond.

I've heard the argument about the speed bumps lowering property values, but have dismissed it for the safety of our children. Besides you don't have to get the ugly yellow bumps but can opt to put out the $$ for the nicer ones. I can think of the road that goes in front of the British American School by Earthfare in Clt. It has the nicer ones that will mess your car up if you go too fast over them

Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 AM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
I hope your HOA is paying attention to detail when putting these nuisances into your neighborhood, or you could be wasting alot of money. If you put them in without city approval, they'll probably be removed or at least contested by the city. To get the city to install them, you'll need for them to do speed and traffic studies, check impact on other nearby roadways, etc.

Also, the humps will require signs informing drivers that they are approaching them and posting the recommended speed to cross them. The humps themselves need to be marked with hashmarks or similar to alert motorists. These signs / markings are typically required by law.

Remember, speed humps may slow down a speeder, but they also slow down any police cars, fire trucks and rescue squads responding to emergency calls in the area, they mess up snowplowing and street sweeping, they cause discomfort to ambulance patients and others suffering from lower back pain, and they'll create a blackmark perception-wise on the neighborhood with the signs proclaiming that there is a tremendous problem with speeders.

But, if that makes one feel better about things, then have at it!

Here's a good example of unexpected results of speed humps (CAUTION - NSFW Language):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxgEXe82vLs

Last edited by Stripes17; 11-01-2009 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,007,784 times
We had speed humps installed in our neighborhood. When the crews were out marking the locations I told them to put one directly in front of my house... cars in front of my house are moving slowly these days

We had to have a certain number of property owners on the affected street endorse them for the city to install.

Speeders still speed between the bumps though... but they have definitely helped. Sometimes on weekends I put cones in the street. I did like Steve suggests and make an "island" out of them or sometimes I even close down a lane. That works like a charm too.

We didn't have to jump through any of the flaming hoops described above by Stripes17... We DID have the option of adding brick type tops to them for a few extra thousand per bump. We elected to go with the regular asphalt. They look fine and aren't yellow.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:05 AM

755 posts, read 2,244,811 times
Do you really want speed humps impeding fire trucks and ambulances?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:06 AM

755 posts, read 2,244,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Sometimes on weekends I put cones in the street. I did like Steve suggests and make an "island" out of them or sometimes I even close down a lane. That works like a charm too.
Under what authority do you do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte