Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 AM

291 posts, read 1,110,632 times

Advertisements

What is the climate like in the Charlotte area? I live in NJ and although I can very easily research the average annual temperature, I'd like more specific info about the seasons, temperatures during the different seasons, amount of sunny days, rain, humidity, etc. Just a more detailed description of the climate than "average temperature 70 degrees". Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,301,936 times
the climate reports you can on internet are rather true for the averages only thing they do not include is humidity and the local forcast factor it in with the actual temperature and call it the heat index. For instance a day in july might be 88 degrees but it feels like 95 (degrees).

It is a four season climate but winters will probably seem very mild to what you may experience from your location. For me 40 degrees is real cold and 29 is frigid artic weather LOL.
Significant Snow seems in last 15 years to be a rare occurance but once every so often we do get a dumping but it is gone within a few days.

Last few years spring has been later than normal and short and quick. Fall weather kicks in october but it also has been rather warm last few years almost like middle of october you start getting cool nights.

It mostly sunny carolina blue skys in a normal may there can be weekly rain but doesnt seem to be that way this year.

In the summer afternoons it is good to pay attention to the clouds especially if you are at the lake or pool due to the humidity afternoon scattered thunder showers can occur.

The humidity might be only thing I could think you might have to get use to but normally it just July and August. Some will say it isnt that bad but you want to in july and august to do the activities that you use more energy in the mornings or late evening.

The retail stores and some office cubical farms will accomindate you with the heat by turning on their air conditioners to meat locker setting

Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 AM

132 posts, read 443,525 times
Are summer nights muggy, sticky and hot as well?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 PM

928 posts, read 3,840,297 times
It's hot today - in the 80's but triple digit temps are a summer specialty here.

I'm from NY and a nice NY day is a cold NC day. 60's used to be warm to me, now if them to be too chilly.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM

348 posts, read 426,218 times
If you live in NJ, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven in terms of the weather in Charlotte! Lesser humidity overall than the NE, super short winters (maybe you'll get a day or two of snow that disappears within the day), long beautiful spring and fall. You can't beat it.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:42 PM

291 posts, read 1,110,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
If you live in NJ, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven in terms of the weather in Charlotte! Lesser humidity overall than the NE, super short winters (maybe you'll get a day or two of snow that disappears within the day), long beautiful spring and fall. You can't beat it.
sounds perfect! I miss spring and fall. The weather has changed up here and it seems we get only about 2 weeks of each anymore! The rest is either too hot or too cold! And I've absolutely had it with ice storms!!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM

928 posts, read 3,840,297 times
It's hot to me, it's almost 90 today.

You will not miss the 'noreasters. Just think about golfing in Jan when there's a blizzard. Life is sweet. The sun shines here just about everyday too.

I know in NY we could go days without seeing MR SUn.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 PM

435 posts, read 1,809,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
sounds perfect! I miss spring and fall. The weather has changed up here and it seems we get only about 2 weeks of each anymore! The rest is either too hot or too cold! And I've absolutely had it with ice storms!!
We get black ice & the city shuts down. When we do have snow the city shuts down. Better run out & get your bread & milk . The reason the city shuts down is because we do not have the resources for the cold weather.
I'm not a fan of the heat. Especially when you walk out of your cool house/work/store & the hot air hits you like a ton of bricks.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,063,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
It's hot to me, it's almost 90 today.

You will not miss the 'noreasters. Just think about golfing in Jan when there's a blizzard. Life is sweet. The sun shines here just about everyday too.

I know in NY we could go days without seeing MR SUn.
We moved from Jersey this past November. I truly believe that the weather and (what felt like) near constant sunshine contributed to a good transition for us. I was telling my hairstylist that I never hit that winter slump that I am accustomed to. We remained outdoors through the entire winter and were generally more active. My spirits were "up" throughout the season -- if that makes any sense.

SL

Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM

179 posts, read 580,690 times
Default Saralee

Hairstylist ???????????? So that's who does your hair !!!!!!!! LOL, just kidding Sara

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte