U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Charlotte is like Texas

Raleigh is like California
That is not a compliment to either cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM

3,099 posts, read 4,123,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
This is a myth that at last may go away. With the election of Anthony Foxx a democratic as mayor of Charlotte and a city council of eleven that is controled by eight democrats this myth of Charlotte being more rightwing than other urban areas in NC will finally die. Pat McCrory the incubment mayor was as close to being a Democrat while being a Republican as you can get. When I heard the mayor of Raleigh on a talk show it was obvious that he was much more conservative than McCrory and unaware of the changes in the electorate that had taken place since 2000. I wouldn't call Charlotte a bastion of liberals but it has been proven to be one of the most progressive cities in the nation in dealing with it's social issues.
The old cultural facilities plus the new ones coming on line and the various ethnic festivals speaks favorable of the progressiveness of the culture Charlotte.

I certainly hope the "myth" is proven to be wrong. I await a more socially progressive Charlotte, especially with respect to gay and bisexual issues.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
This is a myth that at last may go away. With the election of Anthony Foxx a democratic as mayor of Charlotte and a city council of eleven that is controled by eight democrats this myth of Charlotte being more rightwing than other urban areas in NC will finally die. Pat McCrory the incubment mayor was as close to being a Democrat while being a Republican as you can get. ......
You make the mistake of assuming that local Democrats = liberal because the national party is generally associated with liberal. I've spoken about this before, but there is little relationship between the social agenda of NC democrats vs national democrats and it would be a mistake to assume that because they have a majority now, this is a liberal bastion. It isn't.

I will point out that at least 5 of the city council members ran un-opposed because they are in gerrymandered districts that guarantee them a seat. But even more telling I suggest you go look up the members of the "gang of 5" which included a Democrat who said that he wanted to bulldozed all the homosexuals off the planet.

On the post that you were replying to I do believe the Triangle is far more socially progressive than what we see here in Metrolina. It's not because of the party the politicians might belong to, but rather, their actions.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 AM

148 posts, read 192,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
You make the mistake of assuming that local Democrats = liberal because the national party is generally associated with liberal. I've spoken about this before, but there is little relationship between the social agenda of NC democrats vs national democrats and it would be a mistake to assume that because they have a majority now, this is a liberal bastion. It isn't.

I will point out that at least 5 of the city council members ran un-opposed because they are in gerrymandered districts that guarantee them a seat. But even more telling I suggest you go look up the members of the "gang of 5" which included a Democrat who said that he wanted to bulldozed all the homosexuals off the planet.

On the post that you were replying to I do believe the Triangle is far more socially progressive than what we see here in Metrolina. It's not because of the party the politicians might belong to, but rather, their actions.
I would never attempt to call any city in North Carolina liberal and certainly not Charlotte I said that in my comment. But you must admit that Democrats in Charlotte tend to be more liberal than the Republicans and can not be describe as rightwing conservatives. The gang of five that you mentioned was composed of one Democrat and four Republicans. That Democrat was defeated in the next election because he was a right wing conservative on Gay issues even though he could be classified as a moderate or even liberal on other issues.
The facts don't support Raleigh Durham as being more socially progressive and Charlotte as being more rightwing conservative. Obama a National liberal Democrat carried Mecklenburg County in the presidential election.The residents of the city elected a Democratic mayor and elected the Democrats to a 8 to 3 majority on the Charlotte City Council on last Tuesday. If the "myth" is true; than a lot of rightwing conservatives in this town or "closet" Democrats.
Yes I know that the universities tend to be more liberal and if the Raleigh Durham area was just a college area maybe that theory would apply. But Raleigh nor Durham is a college town and you must look at the entire city.
Anyone's opinion on this issue will depend on how they define socially progressive. I have Gay members (professional and non) of my family who are big promoters of Charlotte's Gay scene to others but maybe Raleigh's is better and if that is what you base your opinion on than I can't dispute it because I have no knowledge of either city's Gay scene.
People determine the progressiveness of an area not politicians. If the electorate don't demand positive actions I gurantee that the politicians won't deliver any. I agree with you about action over party affiliation.
The point that I was initially trying to make is: That it is a myth to call Charlotte rightwing conservative while in the same sentence lauding the progressiveness of Raleigh, ain't neither one that much different than the other.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
The facts don't support Raleigh Durham as being more socially progressive and Charlotte as being more rightwing conservative. ..... I have Gay members (professional and non) of my family who are big promoters of Charlotte's Gay scene to others but maybe Raleigh's is better and if that is what you base your opinion on than I can't dispute it because I have no knowledge of either city's Gay scene. .....
If this is your measuring stick then I will point out the Triangle elected its first openly Gay Mayor (Caroboro) more than 20 years ago. This has yet to happen anywhere in the Charlotte area and the last mayor of Charlotte continued to veto domestic benefits for city employees. I am of the opinion, and I might be wrong, that Fox won't touch this either.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:35 AM

148 posts, read 192,548 times
I hate to admit it but I have not kept up with Gay issues. I don't believe in discrimination, especially discrimination based on sexual orientation. Can you direct me to a thread that highlights the difference of how certain areas of NC have responded to the Gay community and their issues.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
On LGBT equality, when will Charlotte get with the game? Q-Notes – Carolinas' premier LGBT news source – In Print, Online
Teaching the Queen City... to be more 'welcoming"
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
Charlotte appears to be a liberal city because practically all blacks will vote for the black person up for any election regardless of issues and you know they are practically all democrat. In addition, there are a huge percentage of white citizens are liberals from the liberal states in the north along with our southern apologists/scalawags that will always support the liberal issues. In addition, Mexicans, both legal and illegal, support the present president and the democratic administration because of the blind support for legalizing aliens regardless of background checks, etc. They want to bring all their families over and I can't blame them. The city's poor vote democratic so they will continue to at least get more freebees and handouts. Mexicans are a substantial percentage of the voting population. Gays vote for the democrat because most assume that a republican has to be a gay hater and the democrats are going to give them status. Bet your thinking twice now days? And, criminals vote democrat as they want the democrats to take guns away from non-criminals. Go figure. We really live in a screwed up world.

On the other hand, Republicans detest abortions unless their daughter needs one to save face and they tend to mix politics and religion too often. They put gays in the same category as everyone else and see no need for special privileges. They are strong supporters of owning weapons to protect themselves from the criminals that roam the city, and they don't like to jump the gun and install trolleys in a place where crime is rampant (Between Five Points and Eastland Mall) and bus service is abundant and in an area that will service only blacks as proposed by the new Mayor Fox. I am sure Fox won't plan a trolley around Southpark or Ballyntyne anytime soon. And, republicans are hard headed as hell and not willing to comprimise.

Charlotte is the more liberal compared to Raleigh. Raleigh has a few weirdo hippies from local colleges, but they don't represent the city. Charlotte is a melting pot that really gets along pretty well. Go walk in the city Center of Charlotte and walk in the city center of Raleigh. You will get you answer then. Charlotte is the most progressive and diverse. Charlotte is much more exciting than Raleigh and companies will move here for that what is offered here coupled with the great transportation opportunities (U.S. Airs major hub), etc.

Nevertheless, I wish I could talk my family to moving to New Zealand. Screw Charlotte, Raleigh, NYC, Chicago and all other American cities. Get me out of this bloody place!!

Have a nice day

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-07-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 12:51 PM

969 posts, read 1,660,584 times
This past presidential election, Wake, Durham, Orange, and Chatham counties were all blue while Franklin and Johnston were red. Mecklenburg was the only blue county in the whole region. That's how it usually goes and that's why the Raleigh area is considered more liberal.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,709,506 times
[quote=crider;11523744]I hate to admit it but I have not kept up with Gay issues. I don't believe in discrimination, especially discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Yes, discrimination is much better if it is based on race, national orgin, or religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte