Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Emissary, there is the NJ solution to this. Once you are on public assistance, any children that you have are your problem, not the state's.
sb_295 - I.... don't know about that! I remember either Florio or McGreavy trying to limit the increase in welfare payments (ADC -aid to dependent children) and having the NJ Supreme Court shoot it down as unconstitutional. It was basically, if someone had two kids and got pregnant they received an additional amount every month. Also, housing money always was increased for each kid. I can remember a mother of 3 complaining she could find any decent apartments for the $1400 a month Section 8 money she was getting, in searching for places to rent in Paterson ...and that's going back 7 or 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
sb_295 - I.... don't know about that! I remember either Florio or McGreavy trying to limit the increase in welfare payments (ADC -aid to dependent children) and having the NJ Supreme Court shoot it down as unconstitutional. It was basically, if someone had two kids and got pregnant they received an additional amount every month. Also, housing money always was increased for each kid. I can remember a mother of 3 complaining she could find any decent apartments for the $1400 a month Section 8 money she was getting, in searching for places to rent in Paterson ...and that's going back 7 or 8 years.
Wayne Bryant, state representative from Camden got the law through the legislature. I never heard of it being overturned, which doesn't mean a thing, Emissary.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Not to that extreme , but perhaps a form of screening to determine who is psychologically endowed well enough to not only birth , but to raise children who will become productive in civilization.
You've got to be kidding me. This is basically Nazism all over again. Weeding out those deemed "psychologically deficient," then those that are "physically deficient," etc. You're not helping your case here at all. And let's not fool ourselves here and act like such a process won't be skewered more towards one or two races.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Wayne Bryant, state representative from Camden got the law through the legislature. I never heard of it being overturned, which doesn't mean a thing, Emissary.
Isn't he in jail now, or dead? Of course, being a NJ politician, he probably has a lot of cellmates and being "dead" in NJ doesn't necessarily disqualify one from voting!

Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wish someone could answer that for me. If a child is already doomed by age four, then why are we not intervening with THE PARENT?
Because that's often the problem: it's only the parent (singular). The loosening of the welfare laws in this country in the 60's and 70's essentially eliminated the need for a father in many of these homes. And when there's only one parent that's often working all the time, that's a problem because the parent is too busy trying to provide for the family and the children sometimes aren't raised and guided properly.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Isn't he in jail now or dead? Of course, being a NJ politician, he probably has a lot of cellmates and being "dead" in NJ doesn't necessarily disqualify one from voting!
They were trying to put him in jail when I left last year. If he's there, he has lots of company, like you said.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Because that's often the problem: it's only the parent (singular). The loosening of the welfare laws in this country in the 60's and 70's essentially eliminated the need for a father in many of these homes. And when there's only one parent that's often working all the time, that's a problem because the parent is too busy trying to provide for the family and the children sometimes aren't raised and guided properly.
What you say makes total sense. But if you look at the kids who have been rounded up here in MECK over the last several years, it doesn't appear they have one parent out working two jobs. They just have a parent (or parents) who are not paying attention, afraid of their own kids, or who know what their kids are doing and simply refuse to do anything about it. We are not talking about concerned parents here who are working their fingers to the bone so are away in the evenings and can't keep an eye on their kids.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Emissary, I found it!. Ani, this might be along the line of what you wondered.

Welfare Carrots and Sticks - TIME

Oh, & Emissary, I did see something about Wayne Bryant being convicted.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What you say makes total sense. But if you look at the kids who have been rounded up here in MECK over the last several years, it doesn't appear they have one parent out working two jobs. They just have a parent (or parents) who are not paying attention, afraid of their own kids, or who know what their kids are doing and simply refuse to do anything about it. We are not talking about concerned parents here who are working their fingers to the bone so are away in the evenings and can't keep an eye on their kids.
I haven't really seen enough of the parents of accused teenagers to say which category most of them belong in. But I do know that both types of parents do exist. For the ones who are truly trying to provide and make a better life for their families, there needs to be more community assistance and resources available for these parents.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Emissary, I found it!. Ani, this might be along the line of what you wondered.

Welfare Carrots and Sticks - TIME

Oh, & Emissary, I did see something about Wayne Bryant being convicted.
Thanks for finding that sb_295! At least, we know we're not likely to have early-onset Alzheimer's if we both remember that far back!

I do seem to remember that the ACLU challenged it in court almost immediately and the NJ Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional even before it had a chance to go into effect. I would imagine even if the NC legislature passed a similar bill, the NC Supreme Court would follow precedent set by NJ and CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte