U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
 
2,172 posts, read 2,362,884 times
Reputation: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'll bet I already made baybrook's ignore list.

Did I, did I?
Sorry Brian, you are not on my ignore list.

But this isn't a challenge. Please don't feel you have to try harder.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 5,521,029 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
So, the answers for why there are so many empty seats are :

1) Hurt feelings from the Hornets
2) Anger that local elected officials decided to build the uptown arena despite a public referendum against it.
3) Poor performance by the team
4) Lack of particpation by Michael Jordan/poor acces to ownership by local media
5) No marquee players on the team
6) The team hires too many minorities

There you have it.
I don't disagree with this list as I think you summed it up fairly well based on what has been said here. However IMO, the number 1 reason that seats are empty for these games is the lack of interest in the NBA. Most people could care less about attending one of these games no matter who was running it or how well they are doing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 2,743,775 times
Reputation: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't disagree with this list as I think you summed it up fairly well based on what has been said here. However IMO, the number 1 reason that seats are empty for these games is the lack of interest in the NBA. Most people could care less about attending one of these games no matter who was running it or how well they are doing.
Lack of interest in the NBA? Tell that to the owners of: the Celtics, the Cavaliers, the Magic, The Mavericks, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Thunder the Heat, the Hawks...etc etc. Your argument has no legs, as most (if not all) of the seats at any of these teams' arenas sell out regularly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 5,521,029 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Lack of interest in the NBA? Tell that to the owners of: the Celtics, the Cavaliers, the Magic, The Mavericks, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Thunder the Heat, the Hawks...etc etc. Your argument has no legs, as most (if not all) of the seats at any of these teams' arenas sell out regularly.
How many seats is this compared to the 300,000,000 that live in this country. Do the math. I stand by what I said and the empty seats in Charlotte speak for themselves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 5,714,244 times
Reputation: 2698
^You could make that same argument during the Magic/Jordan/Bird days. Arenas can only be but so big.

Trust me, if the Bobcats were a winning team, the people would show up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,572 posts, read 4,653,201 times
Reputation: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^You could make that same argument during the Magic/Jordan/Bird days. Arenas can only be but so big.

Trust me, if the Bobcats were a winning team, the people would show up.
Agreed. There is a sociological force at work when it comes to sports teams - people who spend money and come out want to see their team win.

Take the Washington Capitals (hockey is the only sport I really follow, so I have to go with NHL analogies here) - back in the 80's, when they were a mediocre team - you could throw a rock in their arena and had a good chance no one would get hit. As they have grown into a contending team over the past few years, tickets are a hot item. When the Canes first came down to Raleigh in the late 90's, my understanding is that attendance was rather poor, to say the least, as was their performance. Once they started playing better, making the playoffs and eventually winning the Stanley Cup, that put a lot more butts in the seats.

Granted, in this area, there are a lot of people with a lot less discretionary income these days, which I am sure plays some role in the Bobcats' attendance figures. But if they were a winning team, attendance would be higher.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 5,521,029 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed. There is a sociological force at work when it comes to sports teams - people who spend money and come out want to see their team win. .....
I don't disagree with this at all. There is a certain socialogical aspect to why some people are attracted to corporate sports in the first place. However this really has nothing to do with what I said like the comparisons to the few cities where the NBA is actually filling a few seats. Most people don't care about it and especially here.

It can psycho analyse'd to the n'th degree in an attempt to look for an excuse, but the bottom line is the NBA is nothing more than a corporation selling a product, and there are not that many people here willing to spend money on what they have to offer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
 
1,052 posts, read 912,556 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^You could make that same argument during the Magic/Jordan/Bird days. Arenas can only be but so big.

Trust me, if the Bobcats were a winning team, the people would show up.
BINGO! You hit the nail right on the head Akhenaton06, when the Bobcats start putting a consistent winning team on the floor, then will people start showing up to their games. The Panthers prove it all the time that when they win, the fans will come to their games, the same will happen to the Bobcats as well when they are a consistent playoff team.

Last edited by prwfromnc; 11-06-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
 
52 posts, read 89,695 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Lack of interest in the NBA? Tell that to the owners of: the Celtics, the Cavaliers, the Magic, The Mavericks, the Spurs, the Lakers, the Thunder the Heat, the Hawks...etc etc. Your argument has no legs, as most (if not all) of the seats at any of these teams' arenas sell out regularly.

As have all professional sports (except for possibly the NFL), the NBA has expanded beyond the level of quality, talented entertaining play. You cite 8 franchises that appear to have fan interest. What about the other 22 franchises?

The Bobcats rank 28th in attendance this season. It is time for Mr. Johnson to become a salesman instead of an absentee owner if he wants his product to survive!

Shaking hands with existing customers is customer service - not sales. He better learn to sell!

Again - my reason, value is no longer in line with the cost!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
174 posts, read 232,125 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It can psycho analyse'd to the n'th degree in an attempt to look for an excuse, but the bottom line is the NBA is nothing more than a corporation selling a product, and there are not that many people here willing to spend money on what they have to offer.
As of now, this is true. But, I still stand by my earlier posts, as well as the posts of many others , when we say "if they win, people will come".

It's important to understand exactly who the NBA is marketing towards. They have two major targets: corporate business and kids.

Businesses for the obvious reason, they have the big money to spend....well they did. But now in tough times, many companies are forced to hold back because of financial limitations, or at least the perception of limitations. It is no longer wise for a company to purchase an entire section of seats, or a luxury suite. At the current moment, and with the state of the team, it is a bad business investment.

As for the kids, I can assure you that the NBA has not lost it's favor. The NBA has always been a game that has appealed to the younger generation. I can still remember 20 years ago when I idolized MJ, Bird and Magic. Every adult around me said the game was garbage. Now I'm that old man. But,I work regularly with thousands of teenagers, and the NBA is as strong with this sector as ever. The problem is, kids don't tend to understand that you should cheer for a local team because it reflects on your city. They tend to choose teams based on super stars and/or winning. As of now, the Bobcats have neither. The result, people come out in droves when Kobe, Lebron, DWade, etc, are in town. That proves that the passion is still present enough to support the product, if it's worth supporting. If the product was better, people would be coming out watch our team, not the visiting circus act.

I lived in the Cleveland area before Lebron. The Cavs played in an empty arena. I lived near Indy during and after Reggie Miller made them competetive. When they were good, it was full. When they stunk, it was empty. My best friend is from Boston. He said between the glory days and the current team, the fan support was scarce at best.

People are conserving their money right now, with good reason. It's going to take a bit more to convince them to part with it. Winning will do that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top