U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,915,851 times

Advertisements

Why dont the Bobcats draw better crowds?

because they suck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,306,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post

because they suck?
As was evidenced by the 20 point drubbibng they gave the Hawks tonight! Put that in your pipe, and smoke it!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM

370 posts, read 651,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post

because they suck?

Undefeated at home...with Raja Bell back, they will be a much better team!!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,929,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I lived in the Cleveland area before Lebron. The Cavs played in an empty arena. I lived near Indy during and after Reggie Miller made them competetive. When they were good, it was full. When they stunk, it was empty. My best friend is from Boston. He said between the glory days and the current team, the fan support was scarce at best.

People are conserving their money right now, with good reason. It's going to take a bit more to convince them to part with it. Winning will do that.
No doubt. What you seem to miss with this, is that it is a zero sum game. Everytime a team wins another has to lose. So if we go by your theory the NBA fills stadiums only when a team is a winner, you have automatically made 50% of the product the NBA corporation is selling undesirable. It's even worse than this because I would also say that a 51% team isn't that desirable if we are to go with this theory, and I don't doubt it. This means that mathematically a winning team that will draw big crowds exists in a minority of the NBA teams. This is why I can easily say that most people don't care about this sport.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,239,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
No doubt. What you seem to miss with this, is that it is a zero sum game. Everytime a team wins another has to lose. So if we go by your theory the NBA fills stadiums only when a team is a winner, you have automatically made 50% of the product the NBA corporation is selling undesirable. It's even worse than this because I would also say that a 51% team isn't that desirable if we are to go with this theory, and I don't doubt it. This means that mathematically a winning team that will draw big crowds exists in a minority of the NBA teams. This is why I can easily say that most people don't care about this sport.
Winning is not the ONLY reason an NBA team draws large crowds...and a losing record (especially just under .500) doesn't necessarily mean that a team won't draw large crowds. But consistent losing will affect attendance.

Some other factors affecting NBA attendance:

1. Star Power - i.e. Michael Jordan playing for the Wizards drew crowds to see a less than spectacular team.
2. The Economy - good economy = more tickets sold; bad economy = less tickets sold.
3. Expectations - high preseason hopes sells lots of season tickets.
4. Tradition - the Celtics and Lakers consistently draw big crowds, even when the team isn't that good.
5. Opponents - aren't the crowds bigger in Charlotte when the Bobcats play certain teams?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,239,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
As was evidenced by the 20 point drubbibng they gave the Hawks tonight! Put that in your pipe, and smoke it!
Yeah, that was crazy. The Hawks didn't play all that badly, but the Bobcats played their a$$es off!

Then the Hawks beat Denver by 20 tonight...

Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 PM

722 posts, read 1,393,656 times
Because they have had poor marketing in areas around the Carolinas. In Charlotte, they have a good following, with all games on TV, but if you go even 75 miles outside of Charlotte, the Bobcats have very little TV coverage, and their radio contract is poor.

They were thinking about not having games on the radio a couple of years ago, and were on a rimshot FM station.

The Hornets, when they were around, marketed to the entire Carolinas, having games on local TV even down at the coast in Charleston and Myrtle Beach, had a good radio contract, and constantly filled the Charlotte Coliseum in the early days.

Hopefully, the Bobcats will have a good year this year, and will gain a good following.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,650,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
If the Bobcats had chemistry or had been vastly successful, than no, IMO it is not worth it. The Bobcats will not compete for a championship this year. We may make the playoffs, but have little chance against some very strong eastern conference teams.

BUT-- community support is critical to the success of this team. If we can get fans involved and good attendence our chances of drawing some nig names is more likely. So yes, I think it is worth it.

And let's face. The NBA is full of premadonnas. Take Garnett, one of the biggest but if I had the chance to get him here, boy would I support it. AI still has some good years left, he will never dominate, but I think it would help the younger players and all in all be a positive addition.

But alas, it is not an option, so we must look to other ways to make it happen.
Jordy'smom, I don't understand why you excuse this guy or think he would be good for the Bobcats....I told you he was trouble.

Iverson leaves the Grizzlies - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Examine what he said here, and tell me if you still think he's not a cancer waiting to happen....

"Iverson debuted for the Grizzlies on Monday in Sacramento after missing all the preseason and the seasonís first three games with a hamstring injury. The Grizzlies lost to the Kings in overtime, and Iverson immediately questioned his limited role after the game. He also criticized his teammates for not noticing he was open on the final possession of regulation.

ďIím not a reserve basketball player,Ē Iverson said. ďIíve never been a reserve all my life and Iím not going to start looking at myself as a reserve.Ē

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM

370 posts, read 651,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Jordy'smom, I don't understand why you excuse this guy or think he would be good for the Bobcats....I told you he was trouble.

Iverson leaves the Grizzlies - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Examine what he said here, and tell me if you still think he's not a cancer waiting to happen....

"Iverson debuted for the Grizzlies on Monday in Sacramento after missing all the preseason and the season’s first three games with a hamstring injury. The Grizzlies lost to the Kings in overtime, and Iverson immediately questioned his limited role after the game. He also criticized his teammates for not noticing he was open on the final possession of regulation.

“I’m not a reserve basketball player,” Iverson said. “I’ve never been a reserve all my life and I’m not going to start looking at myself as a reserve.

I was reading about this yesterday. The issue is that in contract negotiations, he agreed to come on board at Memphis AS A STARTER. He is upset about that expectation not being met. They promised him the world and than didn't follow through.

I continue to stand by my opinion. He is a big name, for better or worse, he would get some fans in the seats. Fans in the seats equals more wins. More wins equals more fans in the seats. I find your assumptions that many NBA super stars are not exactly like Allen quite comical. As if his bad attitude would make an impression on the 'young guys' of team, they are adults, not ten year olds! Some of the greatest players are horrible people off (and on) the court. Look at old school pistons, new school Celtics, it is the nature of the beast.

Would I sign him to a long term deal, absolutely not. But i would have given him a season to give us some press and maybe a few extra wins. Sports and its fans are fickle...we have got to win to win.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM

36 posts, read 189,565 times
It doesn't appeal to the Manson element folks like it did in the other venue. Downtown doesn't work in Charlotte, you to move away a bit to attract the Mt. Holly's, Gastonia, Gaffney, Besemer City, Davidson, Concord, Salisbury, Lexington, and others. Lot of those folks from those places aren't poor but have anger issues. West Charlotte, Myers Park, Dillworth, Matthews, and others don't come because they are into watching high schools to watch their siblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte