U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM

370 posts, read 650,950 times

Advertisements

Let me preface: I did not read all the thread, so if I am repeating I apologize.

We are transplants who came from a small town wth no professional sports presence at all.

We love the games, we love the arena, we love Michael jordan sitting a few rows away from us. The Bobcats have really awesome sports programs for kids and my oldest who is HUGE into basketball has gotten to meet the players and go to the camps.

I was very disapointed that Allen Iverson did not make it here. While he is past his prime, he would have put butts in the seats b/c he is somewhat 'big name'. I thin if we could get over this hump, we could be a great team, but we need some star power to get the community to believe that. We have moments of greatness...we also have moments that are embarrasing. (hence our season opener to Boston)

I wish more people would come out and enjoy the game. Last year when we were a game and a half out of the play offs the stands were packed and the energy was awesome. i hope we can find that again and that the Bobcats make a name for themselves.

Regardless, we will keep going. I love the NBA and am grateful to have the chance to be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I was very disapointed that Allen Iverson did not make it here. While he is past his prime, he would have put butts in the seats b/c he is somewhat 'big name'. !
If you bring him here, you bust your salary cap & bring in a primadonna to boot.

Would bringing in AI be a good example for the younger players on the team? Sure, you'd get a few more people in the stands, but your hurting your team for any chance of winning in the future.....The Knicks did this several years ago (brought in and overpaid past their prime "stars"....they did it for the star power but really gave them no chance to compete for a championship.)

Again, is it worth it for a few extra fannies in the seats? you decide...

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 AM

370 posts, read 650,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
If you bring him here, you bust your salary cap & bring in a primadonna to boot.

Would bringing in AI be a good example for the younger players on the team? Sure, you'd get a few more people in the stands, but your hurting your team for any chance of winning in the future.....The Knicks did this several years ago (brought in and overpaid past their prime "stars"....they did it for the star power but really gave them no chance to compete for a championship.)

Again, is it worth it for a few extra fannies in the seats? you decide...

If the Bobcats had chemistry or had been vastly successful, than no, IMO it is not worth it. The Bobcats will not compete for a championship this year. We may make the playoffs, but have little chance against some very strong eastern conference teams.

BUT-- community support is critical to the success of this team. If we can get fans involved and good attendence our chances of drawing some nig names is more likely. So yes, I think it is worth it.

And let's face. The NBA is full of premadonnas. Take Garnett, one of the biggest but if I had the chance to get him here, boy would I support it. AI still has some good years left, he will never dominate, but I think it would help the younger players and all in all be a positive addition.

But alas, it is not an option, so we must look to other ways to make it happen.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM

174 posts, read 353,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just want to take exception with the statement earlier that folks typically only support their local teams when they are winning.

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE. I am sure I don't even need to list the franchises across this country - in many different sports - who have fans who are loyal, year in and out. I was in KCMO and the town literally turned out every game - wearing red on game days in offices all over the city - all in the name of team spirit. Losers or not - we loved the Chiefs. They were OUR TEAM.

And look at how we support our collegiate teams! So I disagree with that.

Also, I still think it is interesting that the folks who seem to be supporting this team with the most enthusiasm are NOT long time residents of Charlotte. The history of the team has definitely turned off a lot of folks to the whole deal we got with the Bobcats. Of course, there are many reasons, as many of us have outlined, as to why folks may not be attending games - or feel negatively towards this team. But I still say - for those of you who are newcomers and think you have the right to be disparaging to those of us who have been ante-ing up money to pay for this stuff a lot longer than you have . . . please. We are all entitled to our opinions but putting folks down b/c they are not enthusiastic about this team seems misinformed, to say the least.
Ani, I typically agree with just about every post you put on CD, but on this one I think I have to disagree. I do think winning will cure, most, not all, but most. It was somewhat evident last year as they started competing for a playoff spot - all of a sudden they were playing in front of a fullhouse. And yes, as I stated in another post that is natural. Sure there are exceptions to every rule, but that is the norm. I can distinctly remember a late December game in KC when the Panthers and Chiefs both stunk, and guess what, the stadium was about 60% full. I saw about as many red seats as I did people. The same thing occurred (maybe even the same year) when the Panthers traveled to Buffalo, another great football town. It happens in every NFL stadium with the exception of Green Bay. The NBA is no different. A few venues are always full, Cleveland because of Lebron, Chigago, NY and Utah because of fanatical support. The rest, they come and go.

Yes, I was bitter about the NBA leaving town. No, I didn't have as much invested as you, as I only arrived in town about the turn of the century (I love being able to say that ), but in my short period with the Hornets I was able to attend more than 100 games and grew quite attatched to the team. I wasn't ready for the break-up and I definitely wasn't ready for the rebound. I honestly think the NBA's biggest mistake was how quickly they replaced the team. We didn't have time to miss it. We were still angry. But I do think time would have healed that wound.

Look at the NFL. Cleveland and Baltimore both lost proud, historic, long standing franchises. They were screwed big-time. Now, they have new teams, in which they support fanatically. The NHL took a franchise away from Minnesota of all places - the home of American hockey. Years later, they fixed the problem by replacing the team. They currently have sold out every single game in franchise history. I could go on and on...

My point is, Charlotte losing the Hornets is not unique. It's business and it's pro sports, like it or not. Some people have already gotten over it, some will soon, some never will. But I stand by my comment, that those that are on the fence will make the jump if they start winning. And that's okay. If it makes my home, the great Queen City, a better place to live, then I'm all for it.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
Ani, I typically agree with just about every post you put on CD, but on this one I think I have to disagree. I do think winning will cure, most, not all, but most. It was somewhat evident last year as they started competing for a playoff spot - all of a sudden they were playing in front of a fullhouse. And yes, as I stated in another post that is natural. Sure there are exceptions to every rule, but that is the norm. I can distinctly remember a late December game in KC when the Panthers and Chiefs both stunk, and guess what, the stadium was about 60% full. I saw about as many red seats as I did people. The same thing occurred (maybe even the same year) when the Panthers traveled to Buffalo, another great football town. It happens in every NFL stadium with the exception of Green Bay. The NBA is no different. A few venues are always full, Cleveland because of Lebron, Chigago, NY and Utah because of fanatical support. The rest, they come and go.

Yes, I was bitter about the NBA leaving town. No, I didn't have as much invested as you, as I only arrived in town about the turn of the century (I love being able to say that ), but in my short period with the Hornets I was able to attend more than 100 games and grew quite attatched to the team. I wasn't ready for the break-up and I definitely wasn't ready for the rebound. I honestly think the NBA's biggest mistake was how quickly they replaced the team. We didn't have time to miss it. We were still angry. But I do think time would have healed that wound.

Look at the NFL. Cleveland and Baltimore both lost proud, historic, long standing franchises. They were screwed big-time. Now, they have new teams, in which they support fanatically. The NHL took a franchise away from Minnesota of all places - the home of American hockey. Years later, they fixed the problem by replacing the team. They currently have sold out every single game in franchise history. I could go on and on...

My point is, Charlotte losing the Hornets is not unique. It's business and it's pro sports, like it or not. Some people have already gotten over it, some will soon, some never will. But I stand by my comment, that those that are on the fence will make the jump if they start winning. And that's okay. If it makes my home, the great Queen City, a better place to live, then I'm all for it.
Nice post and you make good points!

And I especially appreciate it coming from you, b/c you have been in other cities and have a broad view of how other cities treat their teams.

I do think a lot of the turn-off to the Bobcats is b/c there were many of us who were emotionally vested in the Hornets and your points are well taken in regard to that, as well.

Really appreciate your insight, NCbyChoice.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:30 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I guess the sports fans here just aren't up to your standards, lol. Seems to me that your glowing opinion of the management and team isn't shared by everyone else.

Maybe that means nothing. Maybe it means something. You still didn't answer as to whether or not you handle some of the PR/marketing for the organization - or one of their affiliates.
I can tell you- I am neither an employee nor an affiliate. Yet, I am in complete agreement with Bay.

Monday evening- had a lengthy discussion with Fred Whitfield- Bobcats CEO about doing me a favor. He was gracious and willing.

Monday evening- passed Bob Johnson on the concourse. Said hello to him. He stopped, shook my hand, and thanked me for coming.

Last week- got a call from a team rep, because he had extra suite tickets for a nonbasketball event. Wanted to offer them to me at no cost.

Bobcats held Cool School game last week. Provided 15000 tickets and free food to area middle school kids, who then got to watch an NBA game.

My total investment in the Bobcats, as a STH this season? Less than $3500 (for 2 seats). Its easy enough to jump on the anti Bobcats bandwagon. I would surmise that 95% of the people with negative things to say have absolutely no idea about their operations- rather they're just parrotting what they've heard from others.

Seems rather juvenile to me that people hold the antics of the Hornets as the reason for their dislike of the Bobcats.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Here is the record of the team over the past 5 yrs...'09 doesn't look too much better.....just pathetic.

BOBCATS YEAR-BY-YEAR
Season Record Pct.
2004-05 18-64 .220
2005-06 26-56 .317
2006-07 33-49 .402
2007-08 32-50 .390
2008-09 35-47 .427
All-time 144-266 .351
[SIZE=2]1993-94[/SIZE][SIZE=2]41[/SIZE][SIZE=2]41[/SIZE][SIZE=2].500 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]1992-93[/SIZE][SIZE=2]44[/SIZE][SIZE=2]38[/SIZE][SIZE=2].537 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]1991-92[/SIZE][SIZE=2]31[/SIZE][SIZE=2]51[/SIZE][SIZE=2].378 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]1990-91[/SIZE][SIZE=2]26[/SIZE][SIZE=2]56[/SIZE][SIZE=2].317[/SIZE][SIZE=2]1989-90[/SIZE][SIZE=2]19[/SIZE][SIZE=2]63[/SIZE][SIZE=2].232 [/SIZE][SIZE=2]1988-89[/SIZE][SIZE=2]20[/SIZE][SIZE=2]62[/SIZE][SIZE=2].244 [/SIZE]

The first 5 years of the precious Charlotte Hornets. What's your point? Not too many fans expect that their expansion team will make the playoffs in its first five years. In 97, the year before they drafted Tim Duncan, the San Antonio Spurs were 20 and 62 (and had been around for a hell of a lot more than 5 years)- we know how thats worked.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Monday evening- passed Bob Johnson on the concourse. Said hello to him. He stopped, shook my hand, and thanked me for coming.
Next time you see Bob - smack him for me. And ask him why his daughter's little vanity pony show that no one cares about rates high enough to kick the Checkers out of their home arena for their first round of the playoffs every year (and forces the Bobcats to have a lengthy away stretch at the end of their season to boot).

Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Hoagie, I am sincerely glad that you feel good about the Bobcats and are enjoying supporting them. I apologize if I stated things in such a way as would make it sound that I resent that others feel good about the team.

I am also really glad to know that you have had good firsthand experiences interacting with the team management. That is how it should be; you have anted up and have proven you want to see the team be successful.

I think that is great that management has reached out to school kids and hope it was meaningful to all who participated.

But as is sometimes the case in life, I don't feel the way you do on this issue. As I said earlier, we all have our opinions - doesn't make mine right and yours wrong or vice versa.

The OP asked why there seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm for the team . . . several of us have given what we think may be some of the reasons, based on our own experiences as well as what we have heard from others in re: to their lack of enthusiasm about the Bobcats organization.

I am sure no one resents that you feel differently, but on the other hand, the fact that you feel differently probably won't change anyone's feelings about the issue. Doesn't make anyone "wrong."

Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
If you are interested, someone asked this question at a meet/greet and he answered it. I think it was ~2 years ago I remember something to the effect that arrangements were made when the arena was opening and it was a long term contract. We were told that this was a seen as a major mistake and would not be repeated once the term ended. I tried to find info on it for 2010 but did not see it online so maybe it has been moved? I looked at the Bobcats schedule and they do have more home games scheduled for April 2010 than they did April 2009 so I'm guessing it was moved.

They have also had contracts with the CIAA that impacts the schedule in March and NCAA one year which also impacted the home schedule at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Next time you see Bob - smack him for me. And ask him why his daughter's little vanity pony show that no one cares about rates high enough to kick the Checkers out of their home arena for their first round of the playoffs every year (and forces the Bobcats to have a lengthy away stretch at the end of their season to boot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte