U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM

13 posts, read 30,137 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Charlotte in May and want something outside of uptown but not too long of a commute. I have been looking at Ayrsley and think it looks really nice. Anyone live there or know anything about the commute in peak traffic times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 238,463 times
I live in Ayrsley. I personally love it. Its so close to 485 which makes it easier to commute uptown. I can walk to the movies if i wanted to, walk to dinner, and there is a good amount of shopping and grocery stores near by.

I would say that in peak traffic times it might be around 30-45 minutes. My old roomie worked uptown and did the commute but we lived more in the "steele creek" area then. I would give myself at least 30 minutes if not 45 to deal with traffic and parking etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM

46 posts, read 207,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanr View Post
I'm relocating to Charlotte in May and want something outside of uptown but not too long of a commute. I have been looking at Ayrsley and think it looks really nice. Anyone live there or know anything about the commute in peak traffic times?

IMO Arysley is a longer commute than i would want if working Uptown, check out stuff in South Park or Dilworth. suburban feel but only a few miles away from Uptown

Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 30,911 times
I live in Arysley and fortunately do not have to commute uptown. Your communte time will depend on what time you go to work and the route you travel. You might want to consider driving to one of the Lynx stops on South Blvd and taking the train uptown.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I can deal with 30-40 mins. Too much longer and it could get annoying. I would move closer to the city, but I have a family and we wanted to be a little further out than the dilworth area. Would it be faster to take South Tryon into town or 485 to 77 into town? Also, how is the crime in Arysley? I have heard mixed things.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Also, which area would have a quicker commute to uptown? Steele Creek or Arysley?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,926,101 times
If you move to Arysley, you ought to just drive to the LRT station at I-485 and ride the train in. Otherwise commutes to downtown from anywhere on I-485 can be at times really bad in that "it sucks". If you are not prepared for the really bad communting that can happen when there is a wreck on the highway or bad weather, then you really should consider moving closer in or getting a job further out.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,704,528 times
Quote:
Also, which area would have a quicker commute to uptown? Steele Creek or Arysley?
Steele Creek is a big area. It's the whole southwest part of Mecklenburg County. Ayrsley is in Steele Creek (as is Berewick).

Can't help you with the commute. I moved to Steele creek to be close to my job. I have a 3 minute commute. I haven't driven downtown since the Lynx opened.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM

110 posts, read 344,054 times
I live very near Arysley and your best option would be 485 to 77 OR if you prefer to use the light rail.

Quote:
There is only 1 light (I believe), taking you about 3 minutes to get from Arysley to 485 and 77 is the very next exit. Depending on where you live in the steele creek area it may be closer to drive up s. tryon to get to 485 (maybe about 5-10 mins) or get on 485 at the arrowood exit (takes about 3 mins to get to 77).

Old 11-04-2009, 06:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkydinkydoo View Post
I live in Ayrsley. I personally love it. Its so close to 485 which makes it easier to commute uptown. I can walk to the movies if i wanted to, walk to dinner, and there is a good amount of shopping and grocery stores near by.

I would say that in peak traffic times it might be around 30-45 minutes. My old roomie worked uptown and did the commute but we lived more in the "steele creek" area then. I would give myself at least 30 minutes if not 45 to deal with traffic and parking etc.
We live in Ayrsley as well and love the area. Quiet, cool neighbors...I can't say I know of any crime in the neighborhood since moving here just over a year ago.

I cannot speak to the commute uptown at rush hour - we mostly go uptown at non-rush hour times, and we can be at the arena in about 20 minutes. My guess is it depends where you are trying to get to. I would agree about taking the light rail in as a nice alternative.

I will say that various comments on how "bad" the traffic is are partially a matter of perspective. People who have been here a while will say how bad traffic can be at times, but coming from the Baltimore / DC corridor, I've been here a short enough while that I still think the traffic here is not that bad at all. If you're coming from a really congested big city area, you will likely feel as if rush hour traffic here is nothing. If you're coming from a smaller area, then it may seem kind of congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte