U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Perhaps I didn't look at LL past posts but if someone asks a question I usually - if I can - answer. I also read the posts and was surprised at the venom and negativity which was in almost every post and then the teeth thing yet again. So yes I am guilty of not knowing every posters past record and guilty as charged with trying to answer a question and more than likely guilty of getting my back up because people start to get petty and then of course the grammar and spelling police arrive. We have all been guilty of spelling and grammar mistakes on an mb.
Folks have been responding to LL, who has had this discussion with us in the past. But you are right. We should either just re-copy answers we have given LL in the past or not post.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,927,664 times
Quote:
Perhaps I didn't look at LL past posts but if someone asks a question I usually - if I can - answer. I also read the posts and was surprised at the venom and negativity which was in almost every post and then the teeth thing yet again. So yes I am guilty of not knowing every posters past record and guilty as charged with trying to answer a question and more than likely guilty of getting my back up because people start to get petty and then of course the grammar and spelling police arrive. We have all been guilty of spelling and grammar mistakes on an mb.
This sounds nice but it's not convincing. When you blew in here to correct the ones you judged to be guilty of being difficult to the OP you also took the opportunity to add your own gem of a broad statement:
......yet as always you Americans have to get the teeth thing in. I am from Europe....
For most here, this goes well beyond being petty and I assume I don't need to explain why. In the OP's case, he came here basically saying the people educated here are not educated compared to NY. Given that, I don't really see a problem with us poorly educated Carolinians pointing out a few mistakes to make a point. Of course everyone makes typos. It's irrelevant.

In your case, if you feel superior to Americans, as you statement suggests, I recommend that you try posting or saying this on other venues. You will quickly discover how accomidating we are here in comparison.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,275,017 times
Quote:
I am from Europe and have a fine set of teeth

I'm from New Jersey and we've been known to take care of that.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm from New Jersey and we've been known to take care of that.
Heck, y'all play hockey and knock each other's teeth out. Just occurred to me. Being a dentist in NJ must have its benefits - lots of patients, hee hee.

But back to schools . . . we need to split CMS up into several districts. Then, it would be possible to compare districts better (local districts as compared to out of state schools). It is totally different when you can compare neighborhood schools to other neighborhood schools in other regions.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM

852 posts, read 2,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This sounds nice but it's not convincing. When you blew in here to correct the ones you judged to be guilty of being difficult to the OP you also took the opportunity to add your own gem of a broad statement:
......yet as always you Americans have to get the teeth thing in. I am from Europe....
For most here, this goes well beyond being petty and I assume I don't need to explain why. In the OP's case, he came here basically saying the people educated here are not educated compared to NY. Given that, I don't really see a problem with us poorly educated Carolinians pointing out a few mistakes to make a point. Of course everyone makes typos. It's irrelevant.

In your case, if you feel superior to Americans, as you statement suggests, I recommend that you try posting or saying this on other venues. You will quickly discover how accomidating we are here in comparison.
Firstly, you have quoted only part of a sentence - you must be a media person. I was making a point that the post was about education in charlotte and yet somebody (perhaps I was wrong in my assumption that it was an American) switched it around to "well we have better dentists" ?

Secondly I did not suggest that I was superior. In fact my statement would have suggested that I was as equal in the teeth department as any American.

Thirdly yes everyone makes typos even yourself.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,082,404 times
IMO, the OP was just being a troll so I responded in kind. Perhaps not the most mature approach, I know. I am sure plenty of Europeans have fine teeth. It seemed to me that LL was using the "ignorant Southern" stereotype, so I fired back with one directed at him.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

174 posts, read 354,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
"In my eyes" doesn't matter. They are not suburban schools. It is all one integrated system, which has not worked out well.
Perhaps "In my eyes" doesn't matter, but a little common sense does. Yes, I understand that they are all integrated into one system, we all do. I also understand that the schools I mentioned would probably be stronger if the districts were localized. But they are not. Regardless, they are still very strong schools. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, they are suburban. A school that is located in the suburbs and educates local children from the SUBURBS is considered a suburban school, regardless of title bestowed upon it's central office.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,712,573 times
Quote:
Everyone here is very touchy - jeez it started with the schools and yet as always you Americans have to get the teeth thing in. I am from Europe and have a fine set of teeth, a couple of fillings and one or two which should have been straightened but I am ok with that. As someone who has children who are being educated in the public school system in Charlotte and who has nephews and nieces who are the same age and being educated in a different country to compare I have to tell you that the education system here is behind a bit. I am fine with it as I live here and I am sure that my children will catch up. I am looking at colleges here and it does bug me that it takes 4 years to complete a BA or BSc here and only 3 elsewhere - what do the kids here spend that extra year on - would it be the catching up? Oh and yes lighten up people and keep whitening those teeth with your bleaches and things 'cause that's great for teeth.
My kids went to elementary school in England for a couple of years. They were fine until around the equivalent to 4th grade. The subjects weren't varied enough. Lots of emphasis on reading and writing, but science, math, and social studies seemed to fall behind. I pulled them out and put them in an American school. That seems to be the story in much of Europe. The education isn't as diversified as in the U.S. Whether this is good or bad is a personal preference. Generally, schools in Europe score better than in the U.S. That is because of the last couple of decades, we have continued to dumb down our schools. We have made it possible for the average 'low income', non-motivated student to graduate without having to worry about homework (which isn't allowed to be a factor when determining grades) and feel good about himself.

As far a college degrees, to obtain a BA/BS, one is normally required to obtain 125 semester hours in pre-determined areas of concentration. If one can do that in three years, it is fine. There is no time limit. A normal semester load is 12-15 semester hours per term. I have known students that have taken up to 24. If they can handle it, they can graduate within three years. This is applicable at all accredited colleges and universities. To acquire a MA/MS, one generally is required to obtain an additional 30-36 semester hours in a certain area of concentration. During that time, a thesis is often required. I believe the GPA must be at least 2.5. I never worried about that as mine always remained above 3.5

In closing, there are some public high schools in Charlotte that are excellent and I would put against any school in Europe or the U.S. But overall, we know why private schools are doing so well. But, that isn't because of Charlotte, it is because of the "dumbing down of the American schools sytsem".

As far as teeth are concerned, I suppose that you are aware that the 'toothbrush' was invented in Great Britain. If it had been invented elsewhere, it would have been called a 'teethbrush'.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
Perhaps "In my eyes" doesn't matter, but a little common sense does. Yes, I understand that they are all integrated into one system, we all do. I also understand that the schools I mentioned would probably be stronger if the districts were localized. But they are not. Regardless, they are still very strong schools. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, they are suburban. A school that is located in the suburbs and educates local children from the SUBURBS is considered a suburban school, regardless of title bestowed upon it's central office.
Which goes back to what I just posted - we need to divide up the school system here and schools need to serve the neighborhoods where they are located. I have no idea what I would do with the magnate schools. I guess they could continue on an "at-large" basis, with each different system contributing equal amounts to them. That aspect I haven't figured out but that doesn't mean someone else in some other city hasn't already addressed such an arrangement and could serve as a model.

Here in Charlotte, schools are - by design - forced to teach to the lowest common denominator. Now, why someone along the way decided that inspires excellence - I have no clue, b/c I do not espouse that thinking. Everyone is NOT created equal when it comes to ability to learn. Some need extra help - including those with learning disabilities. We should have a system that does espouse that "no child is left behind," but you don't do that by tying $$$ to test scores. You do that be appropriating resources to programs where they are needed and which target particular populations, not by dumbing down the curricula. And you make parents responsible for their kids' behavior, including parental consequences for violence and bullying. Yes, I SAID PARENTAL. Parents are responsible for their kids and should face legal consequences if they aren't controlling their children.

But as long as we are accepting federal funds here . . . we are gonna have a warehouse mentality in regard to what it means to get a public education. Pretty sad.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,712,573 times
SMClark, I did not take your posting as insulting. You gave your opinion at which has merit. The only thing I wanted to clarify was that a person can get a degree in less than four years. From what country do you hail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or