U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,667,792 times

Advertisements

CMS unveils controversial new teacher payment plan - Charlotte- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33656256 - broken link)

Not sure how I feel about this one. My initial reaction was, 'good, makes perfect sense for a teacher's pay to be based on their student's success rate'. Then I thought about how kids often do badly in school because of problems at home and those problems are usually things that a teacher has no control over. I also wonder if teachers will just pass kids to keep their pay increases...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,135,023 times
I don't think it will matter. People who suck at their jobs fall into two categories: One, they are too stupid to know they are bad at what they do, or two, they don't care. Either way, I don't think a different pay scale would affect their job performance much. I completely disagree w/ Gorman's comments about teachers w/Masters degrees. An education degree is one of the easiest degrees you can get - I know plenty of people who couldn't hang in one major or another and switched to education - but people who go the extra mile to get a Masters usually want to be the best. Also, many teachers with Masters degrees have an undergraduate degree in a specialty area (science, math, English, etc), and it is a shame to discredit them so much. I think he's basically an idiot.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,091,344 times
It seems like the teachers that work in schools in worse neighborhoods, where kids don't perform as well and it's arguably more difficult to teach, will really get a bum deal compared to teachers in the better districts where families have more money and parental involvement.

Also, while I don't think a graduate degree automatically makes one a better teacher, it seems logical that it probably makes one a better teacher. I'm not a parent, but if I were I would certainly prefer my kid's teacher to have a couple more years of education, and I would prefer them to be compensated accordingly.

You know, every other occupation has a means of assessing job performance and structuring salary based on it, why is it SO difficult to find a way to make sure teachers are competent without screwing them over in the process???

Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
I don't necessarily have a problem with bonuses and such for quality teaching, but there are more questions than answers when you do this type of thing.

Who judges?
What about those teachers who are willing to take the lower scoring kids and work really hard with them without the stellar results?
What about special education, esl, art, etc....teachers? How will they qualify?
What about students who are often absent or just don't care when they are there?

Dawn

Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,445,183 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a child's success rate now determined by his score on a standardized test at each grade level? If you teach the test & the child passes has he/she actually learned anything?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,699,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't think it will matter. People who suck at their jobs fall into two categories: One, they are too stupid to know they are bad at what they do, or two, they don't care. Either way, I don't think a different pay scale would affect their job performance much. I completely disagree w/ Gorman's comments about teachers w/Masters degrees. An education degree is one of the easiest degrees you can get - I know plenty of people who couldn't hang in one major or another and switched to education - but people who go the extra mile to get a Masters usually want to be the best. Also, many teachers with Masters degrees have an undergraduate degree in a specialty area (science, math, English, etc), and it is a shame to discredit them so much. I think he's basically an idiot.
I see, and what degree do you have and how are you using it to make money?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,135,023 times
I have a marine science degree and I am a teacher.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,699,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I have a marine science degree and I am a teacher.
Oh I see, then you have an up to date nc certification and teach in public schools..?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,689,404 times
I am absolutely disgusted that the county is looking at ways to cut teacher's pay while giving the county manager a $38,400 bonus on top of his $215,655 annual salary. I agree that teachers should be held accountable but overcrowding classrooms and cutting educational budgets is making their jobs harder everyday. What has the county manager done to deserve his pay.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 AM

55 posts, read 166,716 times
Default Coastal girl

I would have to disagree that an education degree is one of the easiest to get. When I went for my undergrad in education, I had to maintain a minimal of 3.4 to graduate with the program. In addition, the grading scale was changed for education majors as opposed to others - 94-100 A, etc. The first year we had to interview just to get into the department. We had many, many portfolios, research papers and projects to implement. It was a lot of work! Maybe this isn't the case at some colleges, but I don't think you can make a blanket statement for all education degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or